This years holiday.

Back from a week in St Ives. Town was busy and some of the beaches were too although the surf schools had a fair few pupils, but a short stroll to Carbis Bay showed the out of town beaches remaining pleasantly empty.

20200714_153957_resized.jpg

About 95% of shops, bars, restaurants and galleries open. Not the Tate though. Parking was horrendous as they'd closed a few main streets which meant that some of the car parks were inaccessible. Doh! We didn't move the car for the week we were there and noticed that most other vehicles hadn't moved either. All in all a very pleasant break

I've had to hastily replan for this year as my trip to see my girlfriend in Germany in March went tits up as well as a holiday to Tenerife in April.
Now it's a three month stay in the Fatherland commencing on the 10th August.
Luckily there's no costs for accommodation and the Ryan Air flight is as cheap as chips.
Woop woop.

ugly

LE
This year’s holiday will be at that famous chain of hotels known by its acronym The NHS!
Bugger

philc

LE
Indeed, even the private sellers are taking the mickey. Some of the junk on fleabay beggars belief and idiots are coughing up the asking prices.
A couple I have had my eye on, one been up for sale for ages have sold, seems Campervans are the thing right now.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm changing my plan of touring the NC500 over 10 days in my campervan, stopping all along the route to soak up the views and the locally produced grog.

Plan B is now to ride the route, on my very loud m/c, in as quick a time as possible.

My oppo and I will take it in turn to ride ahead and clear the route for some epic, knee down, speeding.

Obviously this will result in near zero income for the local economy, but hey ho.
Good plan, given the state of most car parks and laybys.
FB_IMG_1595323631875.jpg

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well Jet2holidays have just e-mailed, my 2 September weeks in Lanzarote have been cancelled , ( third time this year ) I've taken the hint , It's rather annoying though .
This means I have to survive until next year o_O o_O
We cancelled ours for July, flights with Easyjet, self booked accommodation. Rebooked for NYE for 10 days and for next July.
Looking at the Lanza pages on FB, Jet2 seem to be cancelling right upto Oct, some is due to some of the hotels not opening up until later in the year.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

slick

LE
A couple I have had my eye on, one been up for sale for ages have sold, seems Campervans are the thing right now.
I think a fair few have been bought to live in full time by 20 somethings, especially the older wagons. A couple years ago I sold an old Talbot Autosleeper in quite good nick for its age for £1700, chap came round, paid cash and said it would save him a small fortune in rent. I must`ve had about 30 calls for the bloody thing that weekend. I`ve seen the same models in worst condition up for sale at over £3000 recently.
About 6 months ago I went to look at a T4 Autosleeper, chap wanted £4800 for it, had an MOT but was heavily corroded and interior was very worn, in my mind it was worth no more than £1500 at a push. He sold it the following week.
There was a 30 year old Elddis on fleabay recently for about 5k, it was fairly local so I went for a walk past it. The thing was in terrible shape but someone bought it about two days ago.
It must be my age as I can`t see how something that old and worn can be worth that much. Go back ten years and these things were going for about 1000 quid with an MOT.
The mrs and I normally have a tootle around France a couple times a year, but certain areas have started to go downhill. Some of the F1 and B+B hotel chains seem to be used to accommodate the outflow from the dark continent. Brittany is looking very run down in places. Even Normandy is looking a bit ropey outside the tourist areas.
I think this year we`ll just stay at home and save the pennies for next year....

Camper prices have rocketed in the last few months. I've already got a conversion project in the pipeline for next year when a minibus comes off contract. It's having its clutch done this week.

Just booked three nights in Brixham with the trailer tent.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

ugly

LE
I may consider a penthouse tent for my pick up for next year
Penthouse as in back of vehicle rather than silly roof tents

wheel

LE
Camper prices have rocketed in the last few months. I've already got a conversion project in the pipeline for next year when a minibus comes off contract. It's having its clutch done this week.

Just booked three nights in Brixham with the trailer tent.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk
Thats a bit risky full of drug dealers and stabby types

In_Twists

Old-Salt
Back from a week in St Ives. Town was busy and some of the beaches were too although the surf schools had a fair few pupils, but a short stroll to Carbis Bay showed the out of town beaches remaining pleasantly empty.

View attachment 491202

About 95% of shops, bars, restaurants and galleries open. Not the Tate though. Parking was horrendous as they'd closed a few main streets which meant that some of the car parks were inaccessible. Doh! We didn't move the car for the week we were there and noticed that most other vehicles hadn't moved either. All in all a very pleasant break
Yeah there are some quiet places still but its getting busier, funnily enough on the roads and carparks as you say. If you take shanks' pony off the beaten track its relatively quiet. Maybe something to do with locals knowing whats coming and not bothering to venture out, returning to work or just being skint through lack of work during lockdown.
Did you mask up?

Yeah there are some quiet places still but its getting busier, funnily enough on the roads and carparks as you say. If you take shanks' pony off the beaten track its relatively quiet. Maybe something to do with locals knowing whats coming and not bothering to venture out, returning to work or just being skint through lack of work during lockdown.
Did you mask up?
Yes, we masked up in shops but not outdoors. We noticed that about 15-20% of people masking up in shops and a few outdoors too. There seemed to be little consistency regarding how many customers were allowed in shops. One small surfwear shop restricted it to 12, tbh 12 would fill it, whereas Quba, 5 times the size restricted numbers to 5. But the gormless bugger behind the counter interpreted that as 5 including the two staff therefore just 3 customers at a time.

We took the coastal walk to Hayle and back, could probably count the number of other people we met during the day on one hand.

Just checked,
We are in the same boat :mad: - deposit only thankfully, so will spend some of it on beer and a posh nosh for our Wedding Anniversary next week.
Just checked, and we're the same. Just the deposit, about £2000 to get back.

Hopefully as long as France doesn't go tits up.

We are setting off on my bike next weekend, staying in Albert/Somme. 12-15 mile yomp around the main locations on the first day with baguettes, pate, meat and wine for the first day. check ou t remaining locations on the bike for Sunday. Back monday.

Can't wait.

the problem with the North of Scotland, now that the NC500 has been established , is the lack of facilities for motorhomes,
Motorhomes are now very popular , there are thousands of them in the UK, yet there are no facilities to drain toilets refill water , pitch up for the night unless you use a caravan site, and paying way in excess for the privilege of using them
Here's a solution, and it could be profitable to your local communities

Most villages in the area have a church , and usually that church has a car park .(maybe even a patch of overgrown unused land) Allow motorhomers to park there during the week , after all they will probably be empty every day except Sunday
Get in touch with an organisation like Camping Car Parks , who will make it a secure area, probably plant trees arount it , instal fences, or boulder boundries for 50% of cash taken , sort out waste , pitches , water and electricity, and charge users a fee , probably about a tenner a night

work that out , maybe 10 vans @£10 /might , that's £50 a night £300ish a week , £1200 a month during the season, going into your church/village coffers, and you don't have to do anything yourselves , except take the cash, with the added bonus that those campers will probably use your local shops pub and bring more business into your small town /village

You get a clean safe entry controlled small camper park , that wont allow "travellers" on the site , and if they do get on , the company has the right to kick them off, anyway something like CCP have a max stay period then you are forced to leave

Or you could just keep going as things are , moaning about your visitors wild camping and leaving their shit everywhere and wishing that the NC500 genie was still in the bottle

North of Scotland is beautiful, were it not , so many people wouldn't be visiting it

rant over
just to add to this point, got this photo on my FB , it is all we motorhomers are asking on the NC 500

aires.jpg

from FB
quote[If the North Harris Trust can do this at the Huisinis Gateway, 14 miles down a single track dead end road on an Island miles from the mainland,
Then why can this not be done in many other parts of Scotland ? Bins and a paid for CDP]quote

entirely my sentiments, , costs £5 for Chemical toilet disposal point ,water refill , all that is needed! , all that is wanted!... or carry on with the risk of cassettes being emptied down an available rabit burrow

Arrived for my week in a holiday cottage on the Llyn Peninsula last night. It was pissing down. Woke up this morning and its pissing down and blowing a hooley. Gotta love Wales. These sorts of conditions are what always made Sennybridge such a delightful training area.

Anyway, because everyone is so Covid averse in this country we’re not allowed to eat inside pubs and restaurants. Went out and got a takeaway from the local pub last night. Several hardy souls sat in the garden in the pissing rain drinking pints. Sod that for a game of soldiers.

Thankfully I have a fridge full of beer.

Ive cancelled my Thailand holiday and given up hope that l will be going this year.
Maybe go for New Year but not confident.
At least lm saving lots of money.....

Arrived for my week in a holiday cottage on the Llyn Peninsula last night. It was pissing down. Woke up this morning and its pissing down and blowing a hooley. Gotta love Wales. These sorts of conditions are what always made Sennybridge such a delightful training area.

Anyway, because everyone is so Covid averse in this country we’re not allowed to eat inside pubs and restaurants. Went out and got a takeaway from the local pub last night. Several hardy souls sat in the garden in the pissing rain drinking pints. Sod that for a game of soldiers.

Thankfully I have a fridge full of beer.
. . . a situation for which you may give thanks to Mark 'Ugwe' Drakeford, a man who forms a committee to decide if a decision is required. :rolleyes:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
just to add to this point, got this photo on my FB , it is all we motorhomers are asking on the NC 500

View attachment 492167

from FB
quote[If the North Harris Trust can do this at the Huisinis Gateway, 14 miles down a single track dead end road on an Island miles from the mainland,
Then why can this not be done in many other parts of Scotland ? Bins and a paid for CDP]quote

entirely my sentiments, , costs £5 for Chemical toilet disposal point ,water refill , all that is needed! , all that is wanted!... or carry on with the risk of cassettes being emptied down an available rabit burrow
The NC500 is nothing to do with the Council but set up and marketed at a time when Highland council were making cut backs and actually reducing infrastructure structure such as the closing of public toilets.

The current situation is the result of a number of folk arriving and being surprised that few locations are open and that facilities are limited.

Numerous pictures of multiple campervans and tents in locations with nothing other than a car park and a bin.

Even if the campervans are self contained, those in tents are certainly defecating in the wild, without burying it.

The bin men just can not physically get round every location every day.

Well meaning folk are just piling the rubbish up beside the bins. Local wildlife is just scattering it.

The company behind the NC500 has absolved itself of any responsibility, but is still selling the merchandise and encouraging folk to come.

The problem is widespread

Last edited:
We are off to Crete on Thursday having had 3 previous holidays cancelled (for cariuos reasons). An Adriatic cruise / week on the Sorrentine Peninsula (cruise boat laid up), a fortnight in southern Italy (flights cancelled) and a fortnight elsewhere on Crete (cancelled by tour operator deciding the hotel couldn’t provide a decent enough service). All very reasonable.

If you’re prepared / able to travel and be flexible, there are some bargains to be had; I’ve just had 60% of the cost of the original booking refunded that included a 10% incentive to rebook. All with TUI.

I’m under no illusion that the flights / airport will be a clumsy experience but then I get the same experience through work and that a lot of stuff will be closed but then frankly, I just enjoy doing not a lot anyway and don’t need much more than a Kindle, a tree to sit under and a source of beer. Evenings are a taverna in the village and I’ve checked that most are open.

We looked at U.K. holidays and the amount of (perhaps understandable) price jacking that’s going on is ridiculous.