This years holiday.

Monday, me Doris son and2 grandkids for 4 days at the woods site in Alva, weather forecast , shite, kids with their bikes , just what you need on a site , noisy screaming kids , thing is , their our own noisy screaming kids for a change .
looks like my son is having his furlough extended( no work at Rosyth until January all the subbies released , but he's held on , so we may just head up to Portmahomack for a week....just in need of a bit of time away in the van again so possibly the first week of August away, just me , her 5 bottles of wine and a bottle of gin. Sonds like a decent plan
Some nice walks from Alva, though.

wheel

LE
There are plenty of camp sites, glamping etc that are just not opening up this year.

Those that are open are not accommodating tents.

Still many smaller communities who have escaped any cases are still living in dread of tourists arriving

Social media is rife with pictures of laybys and car parks full of campervans and tents beside cars.

There's a ringed plover's nest behind the barriers and cones in this car park it had not been used for so long during lockdown!

View attachment 490770
As usual the few will ruin it for the many.
Some suckers out there as well , I have been watching the prices for motor homes and campervans . The dealers are really racking them up.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Some suckers out there as well , I have been watching the prices for motor homes and campervans . The dealers are really racking them up.
When the NC500 started up there were 3 companies up here renting out such vehicles. Before lockdown there were it had risen to 18. Not sure if all have survived the current situation.

Anyone touring in a campervan or motorhome should order a copy of BritStop.

It's a UK and ROI directory of pubs, cafes, car parks and farm shops which welcome overnighters (no caravans), set out in a simple map format with brief description, directions and contact details of the host who impose no obligation to use their business, but obviously welcome your trade.

wheel

LE
Anyone touring in a campervan or motorhome should order a copy of BritStop.

It's a UK and ROI directory of pubs, cafes, car parks and farm shops which welcome overnighters (no caravans), set out in a simple map format with brief description, directions and contact details of the host who impose no obligation to use their business, but obviously welcome your trade.
Seconded.

Well Jet2holidays have just e-mailed, my 2 September weeks in Lanzarote have been cancelled , ( third time this year ) I've taken the hint , It's rather annoying though .
This means I have to survive until next year o_O o_O

Just got an email from ATOL, telling me that CMV cruises has gone into administration, so no round the world for us next year. Should get a full refund of our deposit, but what to spend it on?

Just got an email from ATOL, telling me that CMV cruises has gone into administration, so no round the world for us next year. Should get a full refund of our deposit, but what to spend it on?
We are in the same boat :mad: - deposit only thankfully, so will spend some of it on beer and a posh nosh for our Wedding Anniversary next week.

The good news is tat you are less likely to get V&D with your posh nosh than on a cruise ;)
Done 20 cruises and the worst I've ever got has been a hangover (though some of them have been killers!)

Eating compo and army scoff for 22 years gives one guts like a gully-gulper.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Done 20 cruises and the worst I've ever got has been a hangover (though some of them have been killers!)

Eating compo and army scoff for 22 years gives one guts like a gully-gulper.

You can afford to drink that much on cruise ship prices?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
NC500 attracting more attention that just the illegal camping and detritus being left

I (we) live in a rural idyll in the West Country and a good holiday is staying somewhere proper remote, right near the sea and out of season.

So last week in Sept it's off to a blackhouse in the Outer Hebrides, and then a week right on the shore line near Portpatrick, Dumfries and Galloway.

Plague allowing, obvs, but full refund offered for 48hr cancellation which is what persuaded me to take the plunge.

Can't wait, fishing, birding, dogs on the beach etc etc

I (we) live in a rural idyll in the West Country and a good holiday is staying somewhere proper remote, right near the sea and out of season.

So last week in Sept it's off to a blackhouse in the Outer Hebrides, and then a week right on the shore line near Portpatrick, Dumfries and Galloway.

Plague allowing, obvs, but full refund offered for 48hr cancellation which is what persuaded me to take the plunge.

Can't wait, fishing, birding, dogs on the beach etc etc
I like Portpatrick. Galloway is very much overlooked.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Must confess the road down from Durness to Ulapool is just made for speeding in places.
I couldn't possibly comment, given that the NHS cars have trackers in them

You can afford to drink that much on cruise ship prices?
Either all-inclusive or a drinks package, depends on the line. Drinks packages are often not a good deal for normal folk - for an ex-squaddie they are a shoe-in!

Last cruise we went on (admittedly a top end line) they provide your bottle of choice in the cabin. Sitting on the balcony drinking a Glenmorangie nightcap watching the sea go by is rather nice. Not sure when or if we will ever be able to do that again...

NC500 attracting more attention that just the illegal camping and detritus being left

I'm changing my plan of touring the NC500 over 10 days in my campervan, stopping all along the route to soak up the views and the locally produced grog.

Plan B is now to ride the route, on my very loud m/c, in as quick a time as possible.

My oppo and I will take it in turn to ride ahead and clear the route for some epic, knee down, speeding.

Obviously this will result in near zero income for the local economy, but hey ho.

slick

LE
Indeed, even the private sellers are taking the mickey. Some of the junk on fleabay beggars belief and idiots are coughing up the asking prices.

Latest Threads