This years holiday.

"frugal" French motorhomers don't like to pay for formerly free Aires
"frugal" French motorhomers don't seem to like rules , in any shape or form . Seen many in free aires not giving a toss about the rules with awnings and seating outside either

enough about the froggies though, about time we had something like aires them over here , at least you'd solve the problem of illegal chemical dumping if there were facilities.

The locals are also fed up with having all their nice spots festooned with turds left over by the campers. I saw a report on a portuguese eco-guard last April on the Arte channel; the environmental impact of 1,000s of campers crapping all over the place month after month is significant.
And, oddly, I've heard from a mate who lives in Portugal that on many of the places that have been closed to motorhomes the rubbish and turds have continued. Perhaps they're targetting the wrong miscreants :)

Had two holidays booked at the end of last year: A week in Cornwall in May for just the two of us in a s/c cottage, and an apartment in the south of France for us and the in-laws.

The Cornwall one was cancelled by the owners earlier this year and we were given the option to move the dates to July at no extra charge. It's been touch and go but we go down there the week after next now that lockdown has eased.

The in-laws changed their minds (health and age reasons), so we cancelled and got a full refund. The in-laws were resigned to writing off the air fares though. We've found another apartment for the current mrs_mush and I and booked that. It was over £600 cheaper so that was a result. We've been on tenterhooks waiting to see if the flights we booked were actually happening, then we got an email from Jet2 telling us that all our flights were cancelled and we could get a cash refund or a credit voucher. That means the in-laws will get their flight money back too.

I've checked with Jet2 and they're not releasing any flight details for the summer just yet, so we wouldn't know if we could get replacement flights on the right days. We checked with EasyJet and found replacement flights, albeit from LTN rather than BHX, but they're £180 cheaper, and the departure times are more convenient. So all in all, we're still going on the holidays we've planned, and saved a few bob in the process.

And, oddly, I've heard from a mate who lives in Portugal that on many of the places that have been closed to motorhomes the rubbish and turds have continued. Perhaps they're targetting the wrong miscreants :)
It is in our nature of Mohomers to clean up our areas before we leave we used to wild at west sands St Andrews couple of times a year just to shake the van down before a trip , unwritten rule , take a bag and clean the whole area , watched the local mongs in the boy racer cars , sitting there , then threw out their pizza box and were about to feck off tapped on his window "sorry to bother you son , you dropped this , do you want it back ,or will just put it in the bin for you?"
eventually got overnight parking there banned due to the manager of the old course complaining so much the council changed the bylaws and stopped us just to shut him up, even though there were many complaints to the police about his constant harassment , nice chap , would come and cut the grass around the vans at 5 in the morning , or knock your door at 10 and tell you to move on , even though at the time it was links land and he had no authority to do so. Have seen some day vanners visit the beach, saying **** it and doing the same as everyone else

Should have been at Heathrow right now waiting for a flight, hope we'll get to rebook for later

Article on the TV this morning confirming that there are no insurance companies giving cover for Covid 19, so people might be able to get travel insurance but it won't cover your for that. It'll be a hefty sum to fork out of your own pocket, 4 weeks in ICU.

But crack on, I'll be watching with interest from my armchair :)

The_Duke

LE
Article on the TV this morning confirming that there are no insurance companies giving cover for Covid 19, so people might be able to get travel insurance but it won't cover your for that. It'll be a hefty sum to fork out of your own pocket, 4 weeks in ICU.

But crack on, I'll be watching with interest from my armchair :)

It depends if you are lazy enough to just believe the TV without doing your research. Just one example because it was mentioned earlier in the thread. Up to £5m for medical and repat, including COVID.

SAGA , insuring for covid , but not cancellation due to covid

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I've been reading with interest an FB page ref Lanzarote. The Celtic and Gallic nations seem to be taking great joy from the fact that England has suffered more than they have are and want England banned from flying to Lanzarote until the numbers hit zero. Yet, on the same page, they are crying again, this time sorrow more than joy, because the prices of flights from both parts of the Emerald Isle have gone through the roof, the Jocks are whining that they can't get direct flights and might have to fly from England and the Welsh are crying just because! Doesn't bother us, we were due to fly out on Sat, got the chance to change the flights to next year free of charge for roughly the same dates for £10 extra each and in between time, booked flights for New Year for 10 days to Lanzarote for a smidge under £200 return for both of us, designated seating & 2 x 20KG bags in the hold.

I've been reading with interest an FB page ref Lanzarote....,

...designated seating & 2 x 20KG bags in the hold.
Are you allowed hand luggage as well? i had read some airlines were banning it from the overhead lockers in case of contamination.

sunny james

War Hero
Just booked with Etihad for KL in October. I accepted travel credit for a cancelled flight in April and they gave me £97 bonus credit on top of the £412 refund credit. The new flight cost £497 so all the credit took care of that.
Just have to hope that the flight goes ahead and KL let me in.
Still waiting for a refund from Expedia for a cancelled BA flight and the return half of another Etihad flight booked through an agency.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Are you allowed hand luggage as well? i had read some airlines were banning it from the overhead lockers in case of contamination.
Yep, hand luggage as well, I'm not chucking my camera kit in the hold FFS!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Mrs F currently looking at cruise in the Med in October.

Just seems a gamble whether it would even go or not, let alone if it is advisable if it diď

Mrs F currently looking at cruise in the Med in October.

Just seems a gamble whether it would even go or not, let alone if it is advisable if it diď
My 82 year old mother and her ailing 86 year old husband (no, he's not my dad) should be on a cruise round the Baltic and "Swedish waterways" (don't ask, I have no idea what that means) right now. She is looking forward to "this all being over" so she can get back on a cruise again.

I tried explaining very slowly, but I've given up.

I've been reading with interest an FB page ref Lanzarote. The Celtic and Gallic nations seem to be taking great joy from the fact that England has suffered more than they have are and want England banned from flying to Lanzarote until the numbers hit zero. Yet, on the same page, they are crying again, this time sorrow more than joy, because the prices of flights from both parts of the Emerald Isle have gone through the roof, the Jocks are whining that they can't get direct flights and might have to fly from England and the Welsh are crying just because! Doesn't bother us, we were due to fly out on Sat, got the chance to change the flights to next year free of charge for roughly the same dates for £10 extra each and in between time, booked flights for New Year for 10 days to Lanzarote for a smidge under £200 return for both of us, designated seating & 2 x 20KG bags in the hold.
My September flight ex EDI to Lanzarote was confirmed as a go yesterday afternoon, did I want extra leg room ? Err nope , unless you've got extra legs to go with it .
Fingers eyes crossed that there are no changes.......

Latest Threads