This years holiday.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
News in today's paper reckons we could possibly have a vaccine by the end of the year. If not I'm thinking of driving to Italy rather than sit in a metal tube with a lot of possibly unhealthy people.

Blogg

LE
News in today's paper reckons we could possibly have a vaccine by the end of the year. If not I'm thinking of driving to Italy rather than sit in a metal tube with a lot of possibly unhealthy people.
Easy enough. This is how No.1 son & GF (Italian) do it to Rome

Late crossing on tunnel
Arrive France 00.00/01.00
Do the necessary overnight.
Cheapo hotel somewhere near Lucerne around 08.00/09.00. (or Munich if wanting to take in a bit of Austria)
Kip. Wander about. Eat/drink. More kip
Onwards to Rome

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Late crossing on tunnel
Cheapo hotel somewhere near Lucerne around 08.00/09.00. (or Munich if wanting to take in a bit of Austria)
Onwards to Rome
I've been that way but fancy a run to Genoa and ferry to Sicily this time.

wheel

LE

Late crossing on tunnel
Onwards to Rome
Cheapo hotel somewhere near Lucerne, ;) Are you kidding. I work there regularly nothing is cheap. Fortunately I don,t pay the bills.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We were supposed to be going to La Palma at the end of July. Obviously it’s been touch and go whether this was gonna happen.

We’ve been following the developments pretty closely and keeping an eye on the resort’s Facebook page etc.

With the announcement that Spain is now ok, we were obviously pretty chuffed and it looked like we’d be able to go.

No updates from the travel agent so no news is good news right?

Wrong.

Through the resort’s Facebook page we found out that they definitely won’t be open. The travel agent have also removed all flights to that destination from their website.

Apparently the agent was told weeks ago that the hotel won’t be open, but they still haven’t told us anything. Tried contacting them but we’re just getting some stock bullshit answer. It’s clear that this holiday is not going ahead. The hotel is closed and all the flights to that island have been cancelled.

So we’ve shitcanned that holiday and rebooked for another destination. All good.

This morning the wife was perusing their website and noticed that holiday is now offering a child place for free, i.e it’s 400 quid cheaper than when we booked.

So she cancelled our original booking, rebooked and saved us 400 notes.

Turns out the new booking is also in a better room.

Win.

Fingers crossed for no more **** ups.

Last edited:
We were supposed to be going to La Palma at the end of July. Obviously it’s been touch and go whether this was gonna happen.

We’ve been following the developments pretty closely and keeping an eye on the resort’s Facebook page etc.

With the announcement that Spain is now ok, we were obviously pretty chuffed and it looked like we’d be able to go.

No updates from the travel agent so no news is good news right?

Wrong.

Through the resort’s Facebook page we found out that they definitely won’t be open. The travel agent have also removed all flights to that destination from their website.

Apparently the agent was told weeks ago that the hotel won’t be open, but they still haven’t told us anything. Tried contacting them but we’re just getting some stock bullshit answer. It’s clear that this holiday is not going ahead. The hotel is closed and all the flights to that island have been cancelled.

So we’ve shitcanned that holiday and rebooked for another destination. All good.

This morning the wife was perusing their website and noticed that holiday is now offering a child place for free, i.e it’s 400 quid cheaper than when we booked.

So she cancelled our original booking, rebooked and saved us 400 notes.

Turns out the new booking is also in a better room.

Win.

Fingers crossed for no more **** ups.
Good.

I was hoping to see plenty of guinea pigs off abroad.

I shall be watching the results of the experiment with interest.

By the by, have you got travel insurance? Last time I looked none of the insurance companies were doing it.

no f in beer

War Hero
Staysure have done our travel insurance, same as last year, but sixxty quid dearer - Plane currently has 53 seats booked, so loads of elbow room

Blogg

LE
Coming up for half year and have to do the usual appraisal bullshit so logged on to HR system and discovered....thanks to general work stuff and lockdown I have 39 days leave (including public holidays) to take before 31 December.

OK 34 as I can carry 5 over into 2021 but short of pissing away days here and there to little good effect that's actually going to be a challenge as always avoid peak periods!

Good.

I was hoping to see plenty of guinea pigs off abroad.

I shall be watching the results of the experiment with interest.

By the by, have you got travel insurance? Last time I looked none of the insurance companies were doing it.
Also with Staysure and they will start issuing the documents again once the FCO removes its blanket essential travel only. That should be very soon with the air bridge plan.

The_Duke

LE
Also with Staysure and they will start issuing the documents again once the FCO removes its blanket essential travel only. That should be very soon with the air bridge plan.
You get emergency medical and repatriation only for Covid, any mutations thereof or any new pandemic.

If you are willing to risk losing the value of the holiday if the government changes travel advice or you get Covid around the time of travel, that isn’t too bad. Also, any extra costs involved if your holiday destination has Covid dramas during your trip will be down to you too.

philc

LE
If you are early morning train, possibly try Belgium, Luxembourg, down to Strasbourg, Switzerland, Milan. Sounds convoluted but cheaper fuel plus less tolls. The tolls on the French roads can be crippling and whilst fast and easy, super dull.

Over night Colmar and your in Italy for lunch.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Coming up for half year and have to do the usual appraisal bullshit so logged on to HR system and discovered....thanks to general work stuff and lockdown I have 39 days leave (including public holidays) to take before 31 December.

OK 34 as I can carry 5 over into 2021 but short of pissing away days here and there to little good effect that's actually going to be a challenge as always avoid peak periods!
Something that a lot of people are gonna be facing in the coming months.

My company have altered their HR policy to allow us to “sell” holiday back to the company.

The problem now is that I’ve become a massive tight arse with days off. Taking a cheeky day off to take the kids to the dentist now costs me a days pay.

Blogg

LE
Something that a lot of people are gonna be facing in the coming months.

My company have altered their HR policy to allow us to “sell” holiday back to the company.

The problem now is that I’ve become a massive tight arse with days off. Taking a cheeky day off to take the kids to the dentist now costs me a days pay.
Mrs B's great idea was that I could take one week off and she could go see her mother.

OK says I, you do that and I will take dogs and self up to Scotland to stay with my mate who is recently retired and needs a hand with some fitting out of his newly acquired retreat.

"Oh I thought you could (insert vast list of boring domestic shit here)"

No chance

wheel

LE

My company is allowing staff that have worked through until 2022 to take their holidays they have also given them an extra five days, I gather some of the furloughed staff have been moaning about it. Bit different when some of them were posting happy snaps on facebook though.

Mrs B's great idea was that I could take one week off and she could go see her mother.

OK says I, you do that and I will take dogs and self up to Scotland to stay with my mate who is recently retired and needs a hand with some fitting out of his newly acquired retreat.

"Oh I thought you could (insert vast list of boring domestic shit here)"

No chance
At the beginning of lockdown when I was furloughed for three months SWMBO wrote out an enormous list of jobs to do that I was apparently going to work on. Said list has not been looked at since that day :)

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
At the beginning of lockdown when I was furloughed for three months SWMBO wrote out an enormous list of jobs to do that I was apparently going to work on. Said list has not been looked at since that day :)
When lists have been almost filled one should always write on the bottom
"Please Start New List"
such that there is no room for more.

sunny james

War Hero
Booked a ferry for the motorhome 16 July. I'm thinking of a month or so in Brittany though I think it will probably be very busy.
Waiting to get a £160 bonus from Etihad for accepting a credit refund in instead of cash after the flight home fubar in April. Looking at our usual 5 months in SE Asia next winter.

wife's looking at sites in France for September, but she's been a bit ill and we may not do anything until late this winter

have you tried Camping -Car-Park @sunny james, they appear to have bought up many of the aires, usual nightly price is about €11 some more some cheaper , includes ehu and wifi and pitches are secure, behind gates so less chance of losing the van if you're out, only had one bad one at Amboise, where the chemical waste had backflowed over the grey dump , phoned them and as we left the money was back in the bank, stopped in the municipal site next door which was only a couple of € dearer, true to their word though , C-C-P had someone out the tank emptied and the whole area jet washed in a couple of hours

sunny james

War Hero
wife's looking at sites in France for September, but she's been a bit ill and we may not do anything until late this winter

have you tried Camping -Car-Park @sunny james, they appear to have bought up many of the aires, usual nightly price is about €11 some more some cheaper , includes ehu and wifi and pitches are secure, behind gates so less chance of losing the van if you're out, only had one bad one at Amboise, where the chemical waste had backflowed over the grey dump , phoned them and as we left the money was back in the bank, stopped in the municipal site next door which was only a couple of € dearer, true to their word though , C-C-P had someone out the tank emptied and the whole area jet washed in a couple of hours
I've been reading about CampingCar parks in the forums of various motorhome websites. Seems they take over the running of mostly free Aires from local communities, install barriers then give them a cut of the fees. The upside is the Commune is relieved of the cost of maintenance and may get some income. The downside is "frugal" French motorhomers don't like to pay for formerly free Aires and move on to the many free Aires still available. This can leave the local shops, bars and restaurants losing a lot of the trade that the aire was originally set up to encourage.
There are still nearly 3 thousand free aires even if some of their facilities are charged.

I've been reading elsewhere that a lot of seaside places in Portugal are banning wildcamping, they say it's because they've enjoyed not having lots of vans perma-camping at the beaches. Others say it's campsite owners putting pressure (bribing) officials to do it so they can generate more income/recoup losses.
The locals are also fed up with having all their nice spots festooned with turds left over by the campers. I saw a report on a portuguese eco-guard last April on the Arte channel; the environmental impact of 1,000s of campers crapping all over the place month after month is significant.

Latest Threads