This years holiday.

Biggest one is a holiday we'd booked with Virgin to Antigua later in the year. As it seems impossible to get any type of travel or cancellation insurance, we don't want to go ahead but they won't take calls or allow you to complete the call me back request unless you are travelling in the next 72 hours. They have quite a hefty cancellation charge the nearer the holiday gets. I have resorted to writing to them to cancel it as there is no email option or any way to do it under the manage my booking page.
Just as an update, got an email from Virgin thanking me for my letter and cancelling the holiday.
They also said that, under the circumstances, they will hold the deposit towards a similar holiday next year but will refund it if I haven't booked by the end of July.
I'd already written off the deposit of £375 so that's a bit of a bonus. (If they are still in business by the end of July, of course).

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just as an update, got an email from Virgin thanking me for my letter and cancelling the holiday.
They also said that, under the circumstances, they will hold the deposit towards a similar holiday next year but will refund it if I haven't booked by the end of July.
I'd already written off the deposit of £375 so that's a bit of a bonus. (If they are still in business by the end of July, of course).
Good to hear some good news for a change. I hope they live up to their promise.

Just saw on Reuters news app that RyanAir are saying refunds may take up to six months.

wheel

LE
Last minute . com have now said that they have received refund from out hotel bet not from Ryan air but they will refund us in the next 30 days. I will not hold my breath so in the meantime I have requested refund from my credit card company.

Last minute . com have now said that they have received refund from out hotel bet not from Ryan air but they will refund us in the next 30 days. I will not hold my breath so in the meantime I have requested refund from my credit card company.
Would be interested to see if that last bit works. Credit and debit card issuers are refusing refunds as they say the airline has promised a refund, albeit quite a wait in some cases.
If the credit card company reimburses you and then the airline refunds it later would you have to send the money back to one of them?
I think they will only refund if the company refuses to supply a refund.

wheel

LE
Would be interested to see if that last bit works. Credit and debit card issuers are refusing refunds as they say the airline has promised a refund, albeit quite a wait in some cases.
If the credit card company reimburses you and then the airline refunds it later would you have to send the money back to one of them?
I think they will only refund if the company refuses to supply a refund.
There are a lot of pissed off customers out there and the voices of discontentment are getting together via various social media platforms. These travel companies will reap what they sow when all this is over.
As will private hotels and wedding venues who are refusing refunds.

Looking at all the press and it seems the holiday companies are falling over themselves to discount holidays for later on this year. Reports of 50% discounts, extra discounts on theme parks, trips and so on.

Now, earlier on I'd posted that we'd cancelled our trip with Virgin for October, the big reason was that travel insurance wasn't available and their cancellation fees as you get closer get very high.

As we are, sort of, going back to normal, I thought I might see if there are any discounts to get us back to using them again.

Hmmm.... I'd originally booked Sandals Antigua in October for two week and splashed out for upper class both ways (cos we is getting old, I have the money so why not treat yourself and SKI?).
Cost was just over 10 grand. Yep, bloody expensive for 2 weeks but a special treat.
Thought I'd look again, now that we are approaching the "new normal" and have a look at what massive discounts they were offering just to get us to fly with them again.
Price now for same dates, same room, same flights is actually £14,440. WTF? Massive discounts my Arrse.

Looks like the Spanish equivalent of Barry Island for us this year (Altea in case you're wondering).

Looking at all the press and it seems the holiday companies are falling over themselves to discount holidays for later on this year. Reports of 50% discounts, extra discounts on theme parks, trips and so on.

Now, earlier on I'd posted that we'd cancelled our trip with Virgin for October, the big reason was that travel insurance wasn't available and their cancellation fees as you get closer get very high.

As we are, sort of, going back to normal, I thought I might see if there are any discounts to get us back to using them again.

Hmmm.... I'd originally booked Sandals Antigua in October for two week and splashed out for upper class both ways (cos we is getting old, I have the money so why not treat yourself and SKI?).
Cost was just over 10 grand. Yep, bloody expensive for 2 weeks but a special treat.
Thought I'd look again, now that we are approaching the "new normal" and have a look at what massive discounts they were offering just to get us to fly with them again.
Price now for same dates, same room, same flights is actually £14,440. WTF? Massive discounts my Arrse.

Looks like the Spanish equivalent of Barry Island for us this year (Altea in case you're wondering).
Is social distancing likely to be a factor with the flights and accommodation? That’s the only real reason I can think of for a 45% mark up.

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Ok, it's not long haul or Upper Class, but our flights to Lanzarote for NY cost us, with 3 cases and her spare wheelchair, 130 quid return as opposed to the normal of around 400. Our flights for July this year have now been transferred to July next year, no charges or extra cost :mrgreen:

Doris is scanning the sites for a week in Lanzarote , end of November start of December, as we usually do . They are all up a few quid on last year, but they are always a few quid dearer every year,

Hopefully by mid February the road travel will be back to normal, so we can get the motorhome down to Portugal, they (the Portuguese) are pretty desperate to get the brits travelling there again, but we're making no hard and fast decisions where to go touring, may even staycation for a year

philc

LE
Looks like the costs of holidays that involve flying will rise then, got to claw back loses. I reckon all holidays will rocket once the breaks are of, supply and demand.

Could be the tent on Norfolk for me then, even campervan prices seem to be sneaking up.

Doris is scanning the sites for a week in Lanzarote , end of November start of December, as we usually do . They are all up a few quid on last year, but they are always a few quid dearer every year,

Hopefully by mid February the road travel will be back to normal, so we can get the motorhome down to Portugal, they (the Portuguese) are pretty desperate to get the brits travelling there again, but we're making no hard and fast decisions where to go touring, may even staycation for a year
I've been reading elsewhere that a lot of seaside places in Portugal are banning wildcamping, they say it's because they've enjoyed not having lots of vans perma-camping at the beaches. Others say it's campsite owners putting pressure (bribing) officials to do it so they can generate more income/recoup losses.

Camping Albufeira CCC rally this year was €11/day inc. hook up. Excellent facilities , best campsite bogs we've used, spotless, unlimited very hot water in the showers without the usual push every minute button. .. site wifi included , good cheap restaurant, and decent bar ... with a balcony over the pool to sit and watch the beautiful sunset with a glass or two of overpriced bar wine( or you could walk up to lidl and buy a bottle for the price of a glass), and organised Sunday lunch which was excellent both in taste and VFM
Off season pitch rates were only 13€ without the CCC discount, we did that last year
Albureira/ Portugal is excellent in low season
with the added bonus, not having campers all over the place could prevent the odd kid being snatched

wheel

LE
Travel Companies are breaking European law by not refunding customers within 14 days of holidays being cancelled. They are all at it. We are having a battle with last minute.com. Offered us a voucher for price of holiday plus £50.The catch its only ATOL covered for 30 days from issue and voucher is valid until 30th September.
I am going to try refund from my credit card company. Wait out.
It took just over two months but we now have a full refund from last minute.com for our cancelled Rome long weekend.

Just got the word that Lufthansa have cancelled our planned flight (with lovely granddaughter) to Singapore. I'm quite happy they cancelled (I don't really fancy getting stuck in a sealed metal tube with unknown possible COVID-19 carriers for 13 hours), but Expedia, who I booked with, are saying that getting a refund may not be possible, and that a credit voucher may be offered. I have informed them that only a refund would be acceptable. We'll see how it goes.

wheel

LE
Just got the word that Lufthansa have cancelled our planned flight (with lovely granddaughter) to Singapore. I'm quite happy they cancelled (I don't really fancy getting stuck in a sealed metal tube with unknown possible COVID-19 carriers for 13 hours), but Expedia, who I booked with, are saying that getting a refund may not be possible, and that a credit voucher may be offered. I have informed them that only a refund would be acceptable. We'll see how it goes.
Demand full refund, European Law says if they cancel it must be paid within 30 days but most carriers and holiday companies are flouting this. Do not accept voucher they will have time limit on them.

Demand full refund, European Law says if they cancel it must be paid within 30 days but most carriers and holiday companies are flouting this. Do not accept voucher they will have time limit on them.
I agree, that's what I told them, refund only!!

no f in beer

War Hero
Starting to think Holiday in Lanzarote in August could happen. Having had covid, and knowing it more than liikely does not give immunity, i am still curious as to how the whole process will work, and i reckon it could be quiet :). Dont pay till 1st week of July, so should be about right

Latest Threads