This years holiday.

shame , C, it would have been nice to meet up , pull up a couple of sandbags , swing the light,drink some beer, maybe next time
Next year I'm hoping to be going earlier in the year, so mebbes

We’re off on a cruise in May. Just to keep up Arrse standards I might wear a face-mask down to breakfast on day two when we’re well out to sea.

Friend of mine's got a caravan on a farm along the river outside York.

They only use it for odd 2 day trips, so I've offered to split the site fees with him, for the odd few days ourselves, with the bonus my daughters could have odd week ends, so we could probably back to back, and I'd see a bit more of them.

Looking forward to giving it a try, with all the problems in the world, I'll give Europe and flying a miss, for the moment.

May will probably be the first real holiday...... Isle of Man.

Haven't been for about 5 years, so it's a must.

Plus my wife's best friend, we took them to Lake Garda a couple of years ago, got on well, so when they said they've always wanted to see the IOM, we got a holiday organised.

Be great to visit, and see the place fresh through their eyes, my wife's been going for over 60 years, her mother was born there, and I've had quite a few holidays there myself, since we got married.

Even sweeter, when my cousin researched the family tree, and found that's where our roots are, as well.

Summer, I'd love to go back to the Welsh valleys where I was born, had a week a couple of years ago, first in 30 years, spent a lot of time on my own at the bottom of my cousin's garden, looking up to the mountain, hearing the river below where I spent so many happy times as a kid...... my wife said she's never seen me more at peace with myself.

Maybe Italy in the autumn.

Wooden Wonder

War Hero
We are off to New Zealand in ten days’ time, including a trip to Christchurch, whereat I will try to tick a bucket-list item. There are three VC and bar recipients, two Brits and a Kiwi. I have visited the grave of one near Ware in Hertfordshire, seen the medal of one in the Army camp museum near Farnborough and will, hopefully attend the grave of Charles Upham in Christchurch.

Brave men all.
Went today.

2FEA9391-B12F-42C5-BA81-940A6AEEC68E.jpeg

Off to Japan in 60 odd days time (Lufthansa gives me a countdown whenever I check my booking) flying via Frankfurt ( :-( ) but onwards on ANA metal.
Cancelled the Japan trip.
The thought of catching the virus itself isn't the major deterrant, it's just that it isn't a good time to go- or to arrive back in UK for that matter.
Even having a high temperature on landing in Japan, or the sniffles, would likely send the whole trip out of kilter and now I see the NHS advice to returning travellers extends to Japan and some other Asian countries besides China.

The current mrs_mush and I are looking at a weeks fly-and-flop break in early may. Looking at weather, departure airport, flight times and duration, we've narrowed it down to a possible four:
Marbella (centre)
Rhodes (Lindos)
Crete (Rethymnon)
Cyprus (Paphos)

I've happy memories of Rethymnon and Pathos but have never been to Marbs or Rhodes. The hotels we've in mind have pretty much everything on our tick list, but we might want to adventure out for vittles or possibly a wander around the local culture.

Anybody with any thoughts or relevant experiences?

The current mrs_mush and I are looking at a weeks fly-and-flop break in early may. Looking at weather, departure airport, flight times and duration, we've narrowed it down to a possible four:
Marbella (centre)
Rhodes (Lindos)
Crete (Rethymnon)
Cyprus (Paphos)

I've happy memories of Rethymnon and Pathos but have never been to Marbs or Rhodes. The hotels we've in mind have pretty much everything on our tick list, but we might want to adventure out for vittles or possibly a wander around the local culture.

Agree with you ref Crete and Cyprus and again like you I've never been to Marbella. We had a great holiday in Rhodes (it was quite a while back, mind you). There is a great selection of historical/cultural stuff to do when fed up with just baking oneself in the sun and swimming in the sea. Boat trips around parts of the island and to Symi are good. The island is large enough to offer variety, but small enough to comfortably go everywhere with day trips in a hire car or taxi. Some lovely mountains and forests in the interior. Rhodes town itself has an amazing military history. Avoid the Brit hoi-polloi piss-up parlours on the east coast.

I can recommend Lindos. In particular a hotel called the Atrium palace, not too pricey but just expensive enough to keep out the hords. Entertainment so crap that its funny but top notch grub and rooms/pools.

Marbella (centre)
Rhodes (Lindos)
Crete (Rethymnon)
Cyprus (Paphos)

After a long discussion with the current mrs_mush where I agreed to agree with her, the fly and flop plan has been canned. She estimates that by May, airports, plane travel, transfer coaches, foreign hotels will all be an unacceptable risk.

So it'll either be a week in one of The Pig's lovely hotels in the UK, or somewhere similar in the Lake District, Cornwall, or the Gower Peninsular. All of which she's never been to but would like to

Anybody got any first hand experience of decent hotels in those places?

Similarly our plans to tour Europe in April are on hold until the situation becomes clearer.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
And I'm due to go to Sicily in a couple of weeks though it isn't really Sicily that bothers me, it's the people at stations, airports, etc. and Chinese tourists but they're a nuisance at any time.

After a long discussion with the current mrs_mush where I agreed to agree with her, the fly and flop plan has been canned. She estimates that by May, airports, plane travel, transfer coaches, foreign hotels will all be an unacceptable risk.

So it'll either be a week in one of The Pig's lovely hotels in the UK, or somewhere similar in the Lake District, Cornwall, or the Gower Peninsular. All of which she's never been to but would like to

Have you considered Devon?

BF394A0A-CE68-4236-B1EC-B9621E6DE343.jpeg

Cancelled the Japan trip.
The thought of catching the virus itself isn't the major deterrant, it's just that it isn't a good time to go- or to arrive back in UK for that matter.
Even having a high temperature on landing in Japan, or the sniffles, would likely send the whole trip out of kilter and now I see the NHS advice to returning travellers extends to Japan and some other Asian countries besides China.
Got approx. 85% refund from Lufthansa-no favours from them, it was in the T&C of ticket booked a few months back. Latest news is that the LH group, unlike many airlines, is still not allowing refunds on non-refundable tickets, just free rebookings for later travel
Got 100% back from JAL domestic flight, they were going to refund tax only until I pointed out what their UK website said.
Hotels cancellable, no fee.
I delayed travel insurance (expensive for us), railpass, car to airport(long distance), and so on, because of developing CVirus situation in China , to close to departure time. so didn't purchase therefore no outlay there. I have my doubts that the travel insurance would have come up trumps in event of problems.

Total loss was £500- obviously in an ideal world I would have preferred it to be £0 but realistically I think we got off very lightly in terms of overall holiday costs or potential costs from not travelling.
As more and more info comes out, the more convinced I am that cancelling was the right move.

Last edited:
Herat for me. Nice quiet place and a very good. hotel with excellent food. No beach of course but what the hell. Some very interesting weapons of the Soviet era to tinker with. And as it isn’t that far from Iran, a couple of bottles of, “cough” Iranian grape juice “cough” from Shiraz will do very nicely.

sunny james

War Hero
At Lake Toba, Sumatra now (will be in it shortly). We are here for the last month of our 23 week 5 countries winter sojourn.
Not much talk of Covid19 here though the owner said he'd had a lot of cancellations. Our simple but pleasant room is £11 a night.
Toba.jpg
I reckon less than 5% occupancy though the peak season isn't until July. About 25 degrees now, relatively cool as it's at 900 metres.

Weather is here, wish you were beautiful.

A week in St Ives booked. Lovely s/c cottage 2 min walk from the waterfront.