This years holiday.

quilter

Old-Salt
My choice may seem a tadge tame compared to the aforegoing however, it is usually a safe, comfortable holiday for me at this great age (and occasional infirmities LOL.), in the autumn I shall be cruising from Valetta to Dubai via Suez and then two days in Dubai - where they will be holding a global Expo thingy with hundreds of countries taking part so that would be an interesting day or two - the luxury of being waited on hand and foot, entertained, meeting new folks and dancing in the evenings etc suits me fine, love all the social side of things and of course I get to wear my sequins, fab shoes and best of all the glorious sunshine - Vit D so vital eh!
I did the reverse itinerary last year and loved every minute, even the 'black out part' going through the Suez, avoiding pirates and knowing the SAS were on board of course we weren't to know this officially ……., years ago I would never have dreamt I would be cruising the seas, as a family we were members of the Forces Caravan Club and loved the weekends away mostly Germany and Italy of course as we were based in BFG for 19 years on and off.
Two PTIs from Rheindahlen were on the same camp site just, outside Venice and they taught my then teenagers to windsurf, something they never forgot and even forgave the acquired bruises from a full day's tuition!

Currently toying with the idea of renting a villa with a pool somewhere hot in the summer holidays.

My sprogs are shit at swimming and I reckon a week of being chucked in the deep end after breakfast everyday will sort this out.

Good weather.
Pool.
Sleeps 2 adults and 2 sprogs.
Driveable to a nice beach and some shops etc.
Less than 4 - 5 hour flight.

No other requirements really.

Hit me with your recommendations.
Orlando, obviously.
But you’re looking at 9hr out & 8 back, as I’m sure you know.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Currently toying with the idea of renting a villa with a pool somewhere hot in the summer holidays.

My sprogs are shit at swimming and I reckon a week of being chucked in the deep end after breakfast everyday will sort this out.

Good weather.
Pool.

Porto Santo is the little island off Madeira and has lots of weather, beach but a bit short on shops, there being only one mall.

Good weather.
Pool.

Lake Garda, Garda itself or Bardolino.

TUI Lakes and Mountains brochure

Car included

Fly to Verona, half hour drive from Garda, 2 hour flight max from Manchester.

Great food, suits all ages. PM if you want more

I have a week in Hawaii (Oahu) in April, then four days in Vegas in May, 4 days in the bay area in June and I will try get a long weekend in palm springs. One of my Brothers from Canada is coming for a week, so I will take some time to chill at the beach as well.

I had hoped to go to Yosemite this year - hard to see when I can fit it in.

Last edited:
Off to Japan in 60 odd days time (Lufthansa gives me a countdown whenever I check my booking) flying via Frankfurt ( :-( ) but onwards on ANA metal.
Going earlier in the year than normal, hoping to avoid the Olympic build up. It's interesting but no surprise that most of the venues are already completed.
Japan is in my comfort zone, no hassle, sensible travel infrastructure, helpful folk, are among the attractions (plus No Tipping! :-D )
Concentrating on Kyushu the southern of the main islands although we won't be visiting Nagasaki. Done it before, once because of the bomb connection and another time for all the other historical stuff of which it has much.
Kyushu and the main island of Honshu are connected by pedestrian tunnel and I hope to give that a try although the wife isn't that keen !
Japan has a good system of cheap airline fare vouchers for those who fly in from overseas so will probably fly to one of the Kyushu airports and return, with stops-offs en-route back, to Tokyo (Haneda) using the Railpass on Shinkansen.

Dumbas

Swinger
Stanchion,

Just remember to get your JR Railpass couriered to you before you arrive in Japan. It's not issued in Japan. You activate it in Japan and once activated the days start getting used up.
It also pays to book your seats on the train in advance. Some train carriages are reserved seats only, so "show and go" can be a bit tricky.
Apart from being overly- beaurcratic, the JR Pass and trains work well.

Stanchion,

Just remember to get your JR Railpass couriered to you before you arrive in Japan. It's not issued in Japan. You activate it in Japan and once activated the days start getting used up.
It also pays to book your seats on the train in advance. Some train carriages are reserved seats only, so "show and go" can be a bit tricky.
Apart from being overly- beaurcratic, the JR Pass and trains work well.
Thanks for that, good info for Arrsers going to Japan in this Olympic year.
One of the things I like about the reservation systems is the real-time indicator behind or adjacent to the person on the ticket counter. It shows the reservation availability for the various trains and classes by symbols- the green circle shows plenty of seats, triangle shows limited number left and so on.
ShinKanRes.png

Link Japan Rail Pass

I guess the UK outlets for the RailPass are pretty much the same but I invariably get mine from Japan Travel Bureau, a major player in inbound and outbound tourism.

Good weather.
Pool.

You could do a lot worse than the Costa Brava...... between Begur and Calella are a series of tiny coves, containing small fishing villages, warm crystal clear water.

Aguablava and Tamariu are 2 of them, quite exclusive, and quiet, lots to see around the area, quiet roads.

Get the snappers wetsuits and snorkels etc, and if they're confident enough, take them out on a snorkelling trip to the Medas Islands off L' Estartit....... fish soup.

You can get cheap flights to Girona - have a hire car waiting.

Good weather.
Pool.

There's a lovely little village near Lagos in Portugal has all that and more. I think it's called Play de Luz.

Doing a quick road trip in early March for 9 days: From Dallas to the Grand Canyon picking up Route 66, then down to Scottsdale/Phoenix, off towards the Mexican border, wave at Juarez from the US side (where they filmed the vehicle shootout scene in Sicario), off to Marfa in West Texarrse, then back home. I feel it my duty to sample BBQ in all of the locations.

Summer hols are going to be in euro-land to remind us what culture is all about. Not sure of exactly where and how long, but it''ll likely be Germany and CZ, probably with a couple of days in Rome to keep the Mrs. happy.

There's a lovely little village near Lagos in Portugal has all that and more. I think it's called Play de Luz.
Had a week there in June 2018. One of the best places I’ve ever stayed, no big hen or stag does, very friendly locals and not too expensive. Ideal for families.

Disclaimer: We left with the same number of people we arrived with.

Good weather.
Pool.

Mate have a look at VRBO, we always rent places that we have found on there. Plenty of places in Portugal, France, Spain, etc. even over on the islands, Bahamas, etc.

You can gamble if you want and wait till a week or two before the dates and see if what you want comes down in price because they are desperate to rent.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Does it offer a childminding service?

Does it offer a childminding service?
I believe it is customary to just leave the kids in the apartment, the place is perfectly safe if you check on them every few hours.

Ok you well travelled lot.......

Me and a few mates have decided to have a long weekend on the piss somewhere on the east coast of America. We have all done the New York thing so are trying to decide where to go.
I have my heart set on Boston, always wanted to go there, must be my Irish roots!
So.......anyone been? What did you think of it? How do I sell the Boston idea to these bunch of c**ts?

Thanks in advance arrsers!

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Me and a few mates have decided to have a long weekend on the piss somewhere on the east coast of America. We have all done the New York thing so are trying to decide where to go.
I have my heart set on Boston, always wanted to go there, must be my Irish roots!
So.......anyone been? What did you think of it? How do I sell the Boston idea to these bunch of c**ts?

It depends on what you want to do if there is any time spare while not being pissed.
While working in Canada I found a lot to interest me in NY state.
I also found some of the American civil war areas south of Washington interesting with nice places to stay, eat and drink.

philc

LE

Do they like fish, lots of fish to be found in Boston, the Combat Zone went years ago but still a few strip clubs around, the Golden Banana is still open I think. Boston has good food, plus the cheers bar. Depending on time of year either a baseball or football game.

Do they like fish, lots of fish to be found in Boston, the Combat Zone went years ago but still a few strip clubs around, the Golden Banana is still open I think. Boston has good food, plus the cheers bar. Depending on time of year either a baseball or football game.
Cheer mate.....few things for me to look into there.

Boston was the first US City that I visited. Good choice.
Plus points.
- I remember thinking it was the first place that I visited that really looked like its tourist guide books/brochures. Often places don't live up to the image.
- Airport (across the bay) is probably the most convenient of all big city main airports. It's near by taxi and bus and you can (if still in operation) get a water taxi to it.
- If I recall correctly it was good for day flights back which saves on the red-eye (but may cut down on time in Boston)

Can't recall any negatives