This years holiday.

philc

LE
This year due to various reasons including two year old toddler and small family dog, my wife and I have decided to have a two week summer holiday in UK in late June / early July, within a comfortable drive from home (Scottish Borders). We could stay at home, but that is not really a holiday as there are always chores to do.

The North York Moors seems appealing. We are looking for a non-smoking comfortable holiday apartment / cottage let with parking, main bedroom, separate bedroom for toddler, fully equipped kitchen diner /laundry space, able to accommodate small dog. All in a pleasant large village / small town with local amenities such as shops, pubs, restaurants, cafes and a bit of history. Not much to ask for :), hence we are having some problems finding somewhere.

Any suggestions as to location would be useful
Pickering, Thornton Le Dale or Kirbymoorside.

Ruhpolding for a cheeky week end of Feb. Then sept of to San Francisco for 3 night followed by a 10night cruise up to Alaska & back. In between plenty of trips in the tin tent with Mrs SA & the hounds around England for a bit of walking. Think I’m going to like this retirement lark...

Pick somewhere on the Northumberland coast then...... there's so many places, for day trips, Alnwick Gardens, Alnmouth's lovely beach, Holy Island, Craster, Cragside, if it's raining, the Seaworld at Whitley Bay.......

I've always preferred it to N Yorkshire, more laid back, not so money- grabbing, for parking etc

Pick somewhere on the Northumberland coast then...... there's so many places, for day trips, Alnwick Gardens, Alnmouth's lovely beach, Holy Island, Craster, Cragside, if it's raining, the Seaworld at Whitley Bay.......

I've always preferred it to N Yorkshire, more laid back, not so money- grabbing, for parking etc
Exactly that. We do day trips to those places already. Want something further afield, where we can stay and explore the area for a couple of weeks. Don’t know Yorkshire much at all apart from Strensall ;-) , Harrogate and York itself.

philc

LE
Exactly that. We do day trips to those places already. Want something further afield, where we can stay and explore the area for a couple of weeks. Don’t know Yorkshire much at all apart from Strensall ;-) , Harrogate and York itself.
Just avoid West Yorkshire, thats bandit country.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Ive been trying to think of places lve not been before for weekend city breaks....

Whats Vienna like? Bear in mind, it will be me and a few mates......probably mostly on the piss.
Vienna’s great. Clean, tidy, has beers and grub in decent amounts. Can get chilly and it’s full of cobblestones. Lous American bar will do you a mean hot port. Especially around Stephensdom, it’s one of the few cities. where we didn’t see any sign of the downtrodden and disaffected on the streets after dark.

On the outdoor cafes, if ones crowded and it’s neighbours isn’t, attempt to squeeze into the crowded one. The heaters are better. They do interesting things like rum and hot chocolate (no idea what it’s like in the middle of summer)

engr172

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Off to Sifnos and Serifos in Jun for two weeks. Then a walking holiday in Annecy and Briancon early September. A couple of weekend breaks somewhere, but nothing firmed up yet.

Culture? Where do people find the time?

Just trying to think of cities that l havent been on the piss in.........its surprisingly difficult.
If you’re still thinking of Vienna with a few mates for some ‘drinking culture’, you could do worse than this place, close to Belvedere:

We regularly visit Vienna - our favourite city. Compact, but spacious , fantastic architecture and culture if you want it, but with loads of good bars and eateries if you don’t! Give it a go, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. We are off there again in March for our anniversary.

Coming towards the end of the school summer holidays here in Aus. We usually stay local over summer; just head somewhere within 3-4 hours drive and camp. The bush fires have stopped us this year, but we’ve just got a crazy deal north of Port Macquarie. The place is usually $500 a night but they’re doing deals at $120 because of the fires.

Coming towards the end of the school summer holidays here in Aus. We usually stay local over summer; just head somewhere within 3-4 hours drive and camp. The bush fires have stopped us this year, but we’ve just got a crazy deal north of Port Macquarie. The place is usually $500 a night but they’re doing deals at $120 because of the fires.
Bring your own bread, marshmallows and a toasting fork?

Interesting to hear on BBC News today that the Australian Government are injecting millions of dollars into the decimated Tourism Industry. Not just to attract overseas visitors, but also the locals.
It’s good to hear about the arrival of some serious wet weather which is dampening down the bushfires, but there are still around 100 bushfires raging in the SE of the country.
Crazy weather.

Roast Roo tail a specialty at impromptu outdoor barbys? :?

This year due to various reasons including two year old toddler and small family dog, my wife and I have decided to have a two week summer holiday in UK in late June / early July, within a comfortable drive from home (Scottish Borders). We could stay at home, but that is not really a holiday as there are always chores to do.

The North York Moors seems appealing. We are looking for a non-smoking comfortable holiday apartment / cottage let with parking, main bedroom, separate bedroom for toddler, fully equipped kitchen diner /laundry space, able to accommodate small dog. All in a pleasant large village / small town with local amenities such as shops, pubs, restaurants, cafes and a bit of history. Not much to ask for :), hence we are having some problems finding somewhere.

Any suggestions as to location would be useful
East Neuk of Fife
Rosemarkie (Black Isle)
Islay
Arran
Portpatrick (might be a bit small)
Aviemore area

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Currently toying with the idea of renting a villa with a pool somewhere hot in the summer holidays.

My sprogs are shit at swimming and I reckon a week of being chucked in the deep end after breakfast everyday will sort this out.

Good weather.
Pool.
Sleeps 2 adults and 2 sprogs.
Driveable to a nice beach and some shops etc.
Less than 4 - 5 hour flight.

No other requirements really.

Hit me with your recommendations.

Currently toying with the idea of renting a villa with a pool somewhere hot in the summer holidays.

My sprogs are shit at swimming and I reckon a week of being chucked in the deep end after breakfast everyday will sort this out.

Good weather.
Pool.

Scarborough. Gonna have to be picky on the dates though. Filey or Whitby might have the sun on any particular day.

philc

LE

Good weather.
Pool.

I was going to say Scarborough, indoor pool with water plumes or what ever plus this.

Get them swimming in the North Sea, none of this warm water stuff you get over you side of the country. Oh and cool as chips at school not flying. Oh and the best tat parlors in North Yorkshire, too soon?

Two weeks on the Isle of Man for me in June

Neatly coinciding with the TT. The wife is going on her bike and I'm going on mine.
Could probably do a fortnight on a Mediterranean island for less money but **** it, there is no finer place to be than the Isle of Man in TT fortnight.

Not convinced the wife is happy about it but we are going.
I've got a ZZR1400 to play with and who knows, I may even survive the fortnight.

Last edited:

Latest Threads