This years holiday.

Whatever you do, don't go when the Whitby Goth weekend is on. Happens sometime in Autumn and the place will be rammed with feckin weirdos.
But of course, that and the Cotswold Camping fashionistas. Brilliant, don't knock it . :)

Post '70's era it's been seriously cleaned up, albeit a controlled section to give a section a little bit of flavour, a ..... je n'est c'est quoi taste are long gone.
Nope, the times of ambling into a bank around Nee Soon Oz section, and meeting an Arab sat in a raised chair holding a shotgun are long gone brother :)

We are now in our hotel in Khao Lak, fed and showered. Have not seen much so far as we got here in the dark, but the tropical frogs outside our balcony are bloody noisy and the room is brilliant.

Looking forward to getting round the pools tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Post '70's era it's been seriously cleaned up, albeit a controlled section to give a section a little bit of flavour, a ..... je n'est c'est quoi taste are long gone.
Nope, the times of ambling into a bank around Nee Soon Oz section, and meeting an Arab sat in a raised chair holding a shotgun are long gone brother :)
I was there with the rest of 3PARA in ‘75. It was er - interesting.

We are now in our hotel in Khao Lak, fed and showered. Have not seen much so far as we got here in the dark, but the tropical frogs outside our balcony are bloody noisy and the room is brilliant.

Looking forward to getting round the pools tomorrow if the rain holds off.
You in a hotel or resort?

Have you been affect by the monsoon rains season much?

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

You in a hotel or resort?

Have you been affect by the monsoon rains season much?

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk
We have not seen anywhere yet as it was dark when we landed but Phuket was dry as we lft in the Taxi. As we got to the hotel we were treated to a proper Far East rain shower. Honked it down for 30 minutes and then just stopped, lovely.

Thinking of Whitby in the Autumn. Never been to that part of the country, but had a few recommendations for quaint places and sandy beaches, all the Dracula stuff, natch, but are there any specific spots that arrsers would recommend?
Staithes, Whitby, Robin Hood's Bay........ all stunning, all down the bottom of steep hills with very expensive and minimal parking, mostly at the top.

Whitby Abbey is lovely, but don't bother paying to go in, there's bugger all there (free if you're an English Heritage member), the views are stunning from the top though, and the little church near the 199 steps is lovely.

I'm fond of Saltburn, hasn't quite got the WOW factor of the others, but plenty of free parking, a nice pier (with the best fish and chip restaurant along the coast beside it ) and lots of pleasant walks.

We have not seen anywhere yet as it was dark when we landed but Phuket was dry as we lft in the Taxi. As we got to the hotel we were treated to a proper Far East rain shower. Honked it down for 30 minutes and then just stopped, lovely.
Ok, enjoy.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Staithes, Whitby, Robin Hood's Bay........ all stunning, all down the bottom of steep hills with very expensive and minimal parking, mostly at the top.

Whitby Abbey is lovely, but don't bother paying to go in, there's bugger all there (free if you're an English Heritage member), the views are stunning from the top though, and the little church near the 199 steps is lovely.

I'm fond of Saltburn, hasn't quite got the WOW factor of the others, but plenty of free parking, a nice pier (with the best fish and chip restaurant along the coast beside it ) and lots of pleasant walks.

Ah yes, parking.

Always take at least £50 quids worth of change. :-(

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Whitby arises in a short story in AA Gill's - ' A Line in the Sand' It is a masterpiece in my view in short narrative journalism. Barely four pages in length, he describes his helicopter ride there, compliments of and accompanied by Jimmy Carr to a local fish and chip shop and I do mean ' local'.

By way of background, Gill's cancer diagnosis was known to his close associates, Carr being one. The piece is a nostalgic visit to Whitby and to this 'local' in particular as only Gill could describe.
I'd bet Dickens, Victor Hugo and Bram Stoker shared a dram with him on his arrival across the great divide .

As a respected "man about town" please could you remind me where the Prospect of Whitby pub is? I'm pretty sure it's on the Thames somewhere and have vague memories of going there ....

Thinking of Whitby in the Autumn. Never been to that part of the country, but had a few recommendations for quaint places and sandy beaches, all the Dracula stuff, natch, but are there any specific spots that arrsers would recommend?
Robins Hood Bay, Boggle Hole fossil hunting, Staithes, Scarborough, Filey beach, Brid old town, they filmed Dads Army there, out over the Moors, a fair bit to see.

As a respected "man about town" please could you remind me where the Prospect of Whitby pub is? I'm pretty sure it's on the Thames somewhere and have vague memories of going there ....
It's out my way in Tower Hamlets. Wear a burqa and I'll take you there :)

Ah yes, parking.

Always take at least £50 quids worth of change. :-(
I bitterly resent having to pay parking charges......... especially the outrageous prices those mendacious tyke bastards think is fair.

I go, spend money in cafes and pubs etc, but paying £5- 10 to park my car......?

There's a market out there for a travel guide for tight fisted old shites like me, to tell them the nearest point they can park for free, then use their bus- pass to get in to the resort........ it'll have to be bloody cheap, though.......

Last edited:

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I bitterly resent having to pay parking charges......... especially the outrageous prices those mendacious tyke bastards think is fair.

I go, spend money in cafes and pubs etc, but paying £5- 10 to park my car......?
I feel your pain. We're on a tight budget and like to holiday in the UK, chiefly because we know tried and tested places, can take the dog, please ourselves etc. and also catch up with friends.

The one thing I always forget to factor in, is the pisstaking parking charges. And it gets worse every year.

[Signed: Mrs Brady, Old Lady]