This years holiday.

How are you getting there, we drove through miles of floods a few years back as rivers broke there banks, this was Dijon to Avigon. Bit chaotic even on the motorway.
Flying into Nice and picking up a car

Lurking in scotland for a friends wedding now. Off to New England in late Sep for a few weeks, then a few city breaks before heading back to NYC in April.

Got a milestone b'day next year and planning a big US roadtrip out west...
@jim30 Give us an update on your latest trip to states, via that informative thread; -)

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Has @Ravers been murdered in Blyth? Not a word about his luxury Northumbrian holiday since Monday. Should we be worried?

They haven't invented the internet up there yet.
Funny that, he was posting from there on Monday.

Have they inverted time there or something? They had internet but don't now?

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
Well.

Instead of flying halfway around the world after 4 hours of delays at LHR, LAX and whatever else package holidays throw at you, along with a sense of "wish we'd have only booked 11 days instead of 14" etc... This year is all about the "minibreak".

The first of which last week was a delightful setting in rural Norfolk, 4 star country place with spa, pool, golf club etc.

Long weekend in Gt Yarmouth next weekend. Cheap & cheerful English seaside town jobber. Expect rain. High winds. Lots of kids called Alfie caked in ice-cream around their snotty faces, being proper little screaming b**tards cos mummie won't give them a quid for the crane grab wotsit.

Alcudia next month because we haven't had nearly enough sun yet and I do like the quick 2½ hour hop to the Balearics, fighting the Germans for sunbeds and risking further jellyfish stings as we try to navigate our way through the minefield of "English Pubs" and "English restaurants" and "English families" to pretend, albeit for a brief period, that we've left our homeland.

Weekend break in the Midlands Oct to do my half-yearly refurb of my Mum's headstone.

End of Oct long weekend on the Norfolk north coast.

2 x trips in November to South Wales Autumn Internationals. 03rd - Wales vs Scotland, 17th - Wales vs Tonga, accommodation all booked.

Blyth update.

It’s still a shit hole.

We got up early and fucked off ASAP.

Spent the day doing castles and beaches. Alnwick Castle was decent but not dog friendly. Massive signs everywhere saying no dogs allowed.

So the missus spent 3 hours wandering around town with the hound while I took the kids in the castle.

Forces discount was a winner by the way.

Then up to Dunstanburgh castle and the beach for a stroll.

Finally we took a drive up to Bamburgh castle and had fish and chips on the beach.

Gonna check out the boat to the Farne Islands tomorrow I reckon.
Used to be based at RAF Boulmer, quarters were in council houses in Longhoughton and worked up in the hills behind Alnwick.

Alnwick was one of the scariest places I have been out on the piss.

Locals seemed to be throwbacks from the Middle Ages. We had a female cleaner who would turn up to work once or twice a month with a black eye as she “ fell over”. As did the male clerk and other civies ?

One of the crew was posted in from NI and said he felt safer in Belfast.

We have a lastminute.com voucher to redeem, planning on flying from LCY however 50/50 of location at the moment.

Narrowing it to Geneva, florence/Milan or Budapest.

I'm not doing NY in the summer again, been there done it, humidity wrecked me last time.

Focusing on somewhere in Europe I've not been yet.

Was only kidding. When you said you were flying from LCY, I was pulling your leg to see if you were going to get on the BA001 to JFK from there. And yes, somewhere in EU is much better.

Weekend break in the Midlands Oct to do my half-yearly refurb of my Mum's headstone.
So poignant, so true. The only thing that gets me back up to the badlands of the West Cumbrian coast every year is to do a bit of weeding at my Mum and Dads (and ‘baby’ sisters) final resting places. It’s not a duty, it’s a calling.

Used to be based at RAF Boulmer, quarters were in council houses in Longhoughton and worked up in the hills behind Alnwick.

Alnwick was one of the scariest places I have been out on the piss.

Locals seemed to be throwbacks from the Middle Ages. We had a female cleaner who would turn up to work once or twice a month with a black eye as she “ fell over”. As did the male clerk and other civies ?

One of the crew was posted in from NI and said he felt safer in Belfast.
I was injured abroad in 1975 and was returned to RAF duties at Boulmer, the gym in particular. Great Summer spent mostly running along Embleton sands.
Newcastle United used this gym for training and I beasted , military style the team and reserves between the gym and the beach sand hills.
Craster in those days was heaven on earth. I still have a great hankering to settle there when Londonium runs it's course.

Thinking of Whitby in the Autumn. Never been to that part of the country, but had a few recommendations for quaint places and sandy beaches, all the Dracula stuff, natch, but are there any specific spots that arrsers would recommend?

Thinking of Whitby in the Autumn. Never been to that part of the country, but had a few recommendations for quaint places and sandy beaches, all the Dracula stuff, natch, but are there any specific spots that arrsers would recommend?
Whitby arises in a short story in AA Gill's - ' A Line in the Sand' It is a masterpiece in my view in short narrative journalism. Barely four pages in length, he describes his helicopter ride there, compliments of and accompanied by Jimmy Carr to a local fish and chip shop and I do mean ' local'.

By way of background, Gill's cancer diagnosis was known to his close associates, Carr being one. The piece is a nostalgic visit to Whitby and to this 'local' in particular as only Gill could describe.
I'd bet Dickens, Victor Hugo and Bram Stoker shared a dram with him on his arrival across the great divide .

Whatever you do, don't go when the Whitby Goth weekend is on. Happens sometime in Autumn and the place will be rammed with feckin weirdos.