This years holiday.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
We used to fly these although not that particular itinerary. Ours were more Round The World, seeing the global Must See’s. Most of the pax were very pleasant but a select few were exceptionally needy. Think ringing the call bell to pick up a pair of dropped glasses.
Is it at all possible that holidays are being cancelled to be sold again at double price?

Anyone had personal experience of family medical insurance cover for South Asia just in case something happens e.g the Delhi belly extreme diet plan requiring a hospital stay because you've lost half your body weight in less time than it takes to say 2 chicken jalfrezis with extra ring burn?

Tickets booked already so need standalone med insurance rather than part of the flight package.

philc

LE
Anyone had personal experience of family medical insurance cover for South Asia just in case something happens e.g the Delhi belly extreme diet plan requiring a hospital stay because you've lost half your body weight in less time than it takes to say 2 chicken jalfrezis with extra ring burn?

Tickets booked already so need standalone med insurance rather than part of the flight package.

Yes, my Mum developed the above symptom's in India circa 2003, a dodgy yoghurt at lunch. We were in a hotel in Jodhpur . After 48 hrs of not being well, the hotel got the local doctor in and she was admitted to his er hospital. This was a few rusty beds, however he got her on a drip and other drugs and after another 24 hrs she was stable. Then she was good to go. He was good, his English first rate. My parents gave him the insurance details and he filled his claim. I cant tell you which company, however it worked.

During this time my father discovered Pizza Hut and used to sit by my mother chomping on Pizza and encouraging her to eat, this did not go down well. However the system does work.

sunny james

War Hero

We've usually had standalone insurance In the past but due to increasing age making premiums expensive we have gone with a paid current account jobbie, £13/month which covers both/family. Also includes car breakdown and phone cover. Pay extra for longer than 35 day trips and over 70 age. You can phone the linked insurance company first to check if you have excluded health conditions. A joint account will cover both people separately if you like separate holidays!
They are still offering £100 switching bonus.

lecky

War Hero
2 Weeks in Thailand ( Khao Lak) for the last week of July, first week of August... Private beach, 5 Star Low rise Hotel, B&B, flying out of Gatwick with Qatar Airways, is costing me the same as a 4/5 Star High rise complex in Albuferia, Full board, flying out of Bristol on squeezy jet, according to Travel Republic.
Apart from spending the better part of 2 days there and back in cattle class, no contest.
Flying one way to Berlin first, saves myself and the wife £400+ rather than going Gatwick to Doha direct, so that covers eats. Yeah its another 2 hours, but when your suffering 17 hours by Emirates or Qatar's hub and spoke, what's another 2?
Had to do the Online Thai Pass thing through their embassy, proving Covid vacinations, Passport Scans and Travel + Covid medical Insurance, on pdf's, but that went through with a QR code turned around to me in 30 hours after my initial application. So as long as you do as your asked to do...no problems with that.

sunny james

War Hero
2 Weeks in Thailand ( Khao Lak) for the last week of July, first week of August... Private beach, 5 Star Low rise Hotel, B&B, flying out of Gatwick with Qatar Airways, is costing me the same as a 4/5 Star High rise complex in Albuferia, Full board, flying out of Bristol on squeezy jet, according to Travel Republic.
Apart from spending the better part of 2 days there and back in cattle class, no contest.
Flying one way to Berlin first, saves myself and the wife £400+ rather than going Gatwick to Doha direct, so that covers eats. Yeah its another 2 hours, but when your suffering 17 hours by Emirates or Qatar's hub and spoke, what's another 2?
Had to do the Online Thai Pass thing through their embassy, proving Covid vacinations, Passport Scans and Travel + Covid medical Insurance, on pdf's, but that went through with a QR code turned around to me in 30 hours after my initial application. So as long as you do as your asked to do...no problems with that.
Thai travel pass and insurance not needed since 1st July. Still need proof of vaccination or negative test.

Got back from Kefalonia a few weeks back with TUI.

Flew from Bristol, again, which was a hassle. 45 minutes queueing just to get into the terminal. Bristol staff arguing amongst themselves over who to prioritise. We got there 3.5 hours before departure, but got through security, with only time for a slash and buy a sandwich before they started boarding.

Eventually boarded but was informed by the angry and apologetic pilot that we would be delayed due to no baggage handlers. Eventually got loaded, and was informed again we had missed our apron slot in Kefalonia.
So we took off 2 hours late.

2.5 hours delayed on returning flight due to same issue at Bristol the following week.

Can't fault TUI, just Bristol. The cabin crew were fantastic given the delays no catering on the plane and the crew manager being dragged in on a day off to cover the flight.

The wife and daughter are flying back out there infew months this time its cabin baggage only to avoid half the queues

sunny james

War Hero
I wonder how much of that saving is because the Government isn't helping itself to your cash via APD
APD has myriad conditions but basically if you final destination on your ticket is less than 2000 miles from London it's in band A, over 2000 then band B

Rates from 1 April 2022​

Destination bandsReduced rateStandard rateHigher rate
Band A£13£26£78
Band B£84£185£554
Cattle class is "reduced" rate. Over 40" seat pitch is standard rate. Higher rate seems to be fancy private jets.

Simpler version

Try World Nomads if you are in the UK.

Last edited:

wheel

LE
Well supply and demand, prices are going through the roof. It’s looking like a cruise from Southampton to the Fjords, much cheaper. A week in Malta has gone from a ridiculous £1000 to £1900, not a chance.
We paid just under £800 in September last year.

Last edited:

sunny james

War Hero
Try World Nomads if your in the UK.
World Nomads is very good if you live in the UK but are already travelling abroad or need to extend the policy. They don't insure the over 65s though so no use to me. I have used them in the past but never claimed. The underwriters are part of the AXA group