This years holiday.

Obvs, Lanza is off the table seeing as it didn't move to the Green List and I can't afford 10 days (would cost me almost £1.5K in wages) in quarantine. Pulled one of the weeks back to use later in the year (have rebooked for Nov now), so decided to go visit the daughter in Exeter, hotel for 4 nights is £986 including breakfast. Mind, the rooms are spectacular, all operated from an iPad, lights, TV, room service, water temp for bath/shower. The food in the Bistro is of a very good standard too (we stayed there a couple of Christmases ago). The money we saved on the hotel in Lanzarote is paying for this hotel.

Sorry to hear about Lanzarote Joker. Hope Nov works out OK. Was it the original artwork on the wall that swung it for you? :highfive:

Screenshot_20210613-214407_Photos.jpg

lecky

War Hero
It's been reported by police and highways, vehicles entering Cornwall is up 60%,
and movement within Cornwall is up 40% on before COVID levels.
There was a barrier failure in the main car park in Looe, absolutely frecking chaotic,
wait until the schools break up
Yeah, to my eternal shame, I paid the £5.20 I'd racked up on my parking ticket at the pay station on the way in to Looe Car Park, before I noticed the Exit Barrier was permanently up. Got away with it for the next two days.

anglo

LE
Yeah, to my eternal shame, I paid the £5.20 I'd racked up on my parking ticket at the pay station on the way in to Looe Car Park, before I noticed the Exit Barrier was permanently up. Got away with it for the next two days.
The barriers were open throughout winter/lockdown {just to piss you off}
If you go again, go past the car park entrance, at the end of the car park there is a small car park
with its own parking meter, try that. it was cheaper

wish to report that the weekend in the field in Aberfeldy , with no mains electric , and limited other facilities turned out ok
Maybe it was the visit to the van by my mate Graham ( retired submariner) and his Mrs, where he drank all my f ucking gin and wine, , or maybe the return match at his on Saturday night (Jesus H Christ, can he throw some alcohol down him or what)
what I do know is , I am now drinking shit loads of water trying to flush out my liver ready for the coming weekend, probably a C/L a little bit down the East Neuk if we can get on one
Portugal is becoming a fading memory

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Take a coolerfull with you.......

Save waiting in the queue at the bakers for 3 hours.
Pffft, Philps is the company to go to for pasties, even on a Sunday they have a queue outside their shop and always sell out before closing time.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
You wouldn't believe the art work at the hotel we stay at! The grounds are littered with "pieces of art".
you are obviously Au Fait with the Islands , but for anyone on a first time visit the house and projects of Cesar Manrique are worth a visit the foundation and house in the lava bubbles was years ahead of its time with regards to style and an afternoon up at Mirator Del Rio having a coffee and watching the paragliders I found a pleasant way to pass the time, Jameos del Agua , lovely and cool on a blistering hot day , but I have given the cactus gardens a miss so far

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
you are obviously Au Fait with the Islands , but for anyone on a first time visit the house and projects of Cesar Manrique are worth a visit the foundation and house in the lava bubbles was years ahead of its time with regards to style and an afternoon up at Mirator Del Rio having a coffee and watching the paragliders I found a pleasant way to pass the time, Jameos del Agua , lovely and cool on a blistering hot day , but I have given the cactus gardens a miss so far
We'd love to go but those areas aren't wheelchair friendly. In 2019, we went on a personal 8 hr tour of the island with Jumpy Guides, visiting Timanfaya National Park, the Green Lagoon, a couple of the wineyards and some other stunning scenery. Timanfaya is something else, still a live volcano area, cooking done over volcanic heat, the guides set off baby geysers by pouring bottles of water down tubes into the ground and the scenery around is spectacular.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Cactus Gardens are well worth a visit...

anglo

LE
We got up early and went to West Pentire, arrived there at 09:00, there was
a couple of cars there already, we walked over to the Poppy fields and down
to Poly Joke beach, got back to the car park at around 11:30, the car park was nearly
full, after a hours walk down the coastal path and a spot of lunch, there were cars
waiting for spaces, we passed though Crantock and the sign was up to say the beach
car park is full.
Next stop Cubert to deliver some newspapers to Prickles and Paws, then up to the
T-junction and turned left, there was a queue of cars going into Cubert and up
to the car park at Holywell bay.
Our way home takes us to the outskirts of Newquay, we turned away from Newquay
at the roundabout, the road into Newquay was bumper to bumper
Just wait till the school holidays start, It's going to be hell in Cornwall,
and COVID-19 is on the rise down here, some places have had to shut already,
It's going to be interesting summer

anglo

LE
We went to the Lost Gardens of Heligan today, all the camping/caravan sites on
the way are full to over flowing, the car park at the lost gardens was full, the prices
have gone up a little this year,
Good job we have a locals pass

Screenshot 2021-06-30 at 17-33-23 lost gardens of heligan - Google Search.png

philc

LE
Read some 6 person waterfront house in Steintown was a £1000 a night, campsite £25, few £100 camping gear, sorted and more memorable.

I've got a big garden, surrounded by tree, my gardener's just come in today, and while it's not like a stately home, it's a lovely peaceful spot, the greenhouse is busting out, the veg is looking good, and there's troughs of herbs everywhere........ stuff it, I'm happy at home

Kirkcudbright is pretty good right now.

That’s a phrase I thought I’d never hear.
Well we're almost at the end of a great two week holiday in a rented cottage. Good weather and plenty to do round about.

Eta:

The town itself is pretty, small, nicely laid out and with all the amenities needed for a short self-catering holiday.

The Kirkcudbright Gallery in the Old Town Hall is very worthwhile visiting particularly for its collection of the "Glasgow Boys" style.

The Stewartry Museum has a very eclectic and interesting collection of stuff from the local area.

Dinner at the restaurant at the Selkirk Arms Hotel was very good.

The Auld Alliance does good food and the Castle Bistro is good too.

The Kirkcudbright Bay Hotel restaurant did a good lunch, but service was poor.

The Masonic Arms is good for a decent pint and a chin wag.

The two chippies are excellent for fresh fish and chips.

Plenty of cafes and snack bars for the odd bite, the one next to the church square is particularly good value for money and you can eat in the sunshine on the pub style outdoor seating in the square.

The nipper loved the play parks and the swimming pool. A bit further afield, Dalscone Farm Fun near Dumfries was a big hit with him and they didn't rip the arse out of it on prices.

The outdoor pursuits shop is run by a friendly old couple, he's retired REME who joined in '57 as a boy soldier / apprentice and has some good stories.

We really liked Brighouse Bay beach (but if you want a swim make sure the tide is in). Dhoon Bay is closer but more crowded. If the water's too cold for you, the above shop sells wetsuits at a decent price.

Barr hill woods just on the edge of Kirkcudbright offers smashing walks, great for man, boy and dog.

All in all a jolly decent holiday.

Last edited:

Blogg

LE
Stuffed through door this very day.

How could anyone possibly resist the lure of being banged up on a floating hotel complex/giant petri dish with 5000 others whilst it goes up and down West Coast of UK and you get visit such exotic places as...

20210709_130149.jpg
Liverpool and Belfast

Oh how I am looking forward to the overnight National Express bus trip to Londonistan on Saturday evening....sigh

Hey ho ...... on the up side , collecting the new (to us) MoHo from Church Crookham , and driving it North
Sunday and Monday

down sizing a bit from this
van4.jpg

to one of these
knaus.jpg

BTW , anyone interested in the top one (Frankia), it is still in Autotrader , all cleaned out ,gleaming, and ready for inspection , stand by your beds

Last edited:

Latest Threads