Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This years holiday.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My understanding is that you some sort of Tooth doctor, why are you traveling. My Wisdom tooth extraction meant I traveled to Mecca not the other way round.

Because I work for the Public Dental Service.

I therefore cover a large area due to my experience and role moving between various remote and rural locations.

What it means in reality is that for approximately 20% of my working week I get paid to sit and drive bits of the NC500 and other scenic roads!

Well that's the week in Lanzarote in December fecked

email from TUI cancelled it

Can't go away in the camper for the bank holiday as the wife is self isolating for her operation a week Wednesday, hopefully as it's a keyhole job we'll get away end of September , we are the lucky ones , we got away early this year for 6 weeks , looks like it will be six weeks again in Portugal next February followed by a two week staycation self isolating when we return

2020 is shit

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
@Dan Gleebles Thought you might find this amusing

1598607229522.png

wheel

LE
First holiday - time off this year. Camper van packed heading for Hadrian's Wall tomorrow for a couple of days walking then over to the Northumbrian coast for five more days of walking Bamburgh Castle Holy Island and Berwick upon Tweed finish off with couple of days walking the Cheviots. As long as it stays reasonably dry i,ll be happy.

First holiday - time off this year. Camper van packed heading for Hadrian's Wall tomorrow for a couple of days walking then over to the Northumbrian coast for five more days of walking Bamburgh Castle Holy Island and Berwick upon Tweed finish off with couple of days walking the Cheviots. As long as it stays reasonably dry i,ll be happy.
It's going to bloody POUR.

Have a great time, mate. You'll have a ball.

The usual trip to France was cancelled so we booked late for a week in the Lake District. The current mrs_mush had never been there, whereas it was my old stomping ground in my teens. We had low expectations about the weather (that's always the key to happiness with a Lake District holiday) and would have settled for just fine drizzle instead of the usual persistent rain.

As it was it was glorious.
IMG-20200915-WA0002.jpg

All B&Bs showing no vacancies, if you hadn't booked anywhere to eat in the evening you'd be lucky to find something. Did a few decent walks, nothing too strenuous.

We stayed in Keswick and after we'd come back from a day out via Bowness, the current mrs_mush offered an opinion:
"I see now the difference between the North Lakes, and the South lakes"
"And what is that oh light of my life, the geology, the flora, the fauna?"
"Nope, in the North the visitors wear Rab, Arc'teryx, Berghaus, Northface and decent boots, whereas in the South the visitors wear football shirts and trainers"

The holiday God seems displeased with me this year

Doris having a bit of discomfort after her op means we aren't getting away in the van , until at least the start of October, but we're only heading up north a bit for a few days , Moray firth as previously booked , if we don't go into lockdown again
Those nice people at TUI cancelled the jaunt to Lanzarote first week in December (full refund ) as it was from Edinburgh, and all the lanza fights from there were scrapped
Now booked on the same holiday , same hotel etc. only this time from Glasgow, and £200 each cheaper ...Bonus

Now , come on Coronus ( SWIDT, Coronus , not Cronus/Kronus.... I'll get my coat!) do your worst

edited due to mong spelling and trying to be a smart bastard

The usual trip to France was cancelled so we booked late for a week in the Lake District. The current mrs_mush had never been there, whereas it was my old stomping ground in my teens. We had low expectations about the weather (that's always the key to happiness with a Lake District holiday) and would have settled for just fine drizzle instead of the usual persistent rain.

As it was it was glorious.View attachment 506322

All B&Bs showing no vacancies, if you hadn't booked anywhere to eat in the evening you'd be lucky to find something. Did a few decent walks, nothing too strenuous.

We stayed in Keswick and after we'd come back from a day out via Bowness, the current mrs_mush offered an opinion:
"I see now the difference between the North Lakes, and the South lakes"
"And what is that oh light of my life, the geology, the flora, the fauna?"
"Nope, in the North the visitors wear Rab, Arc'teryx, Berghaus, Northface and decent boots, whereas in the South the visitors wear football shirts and trainers"

It is obvious to even the most narrow-minded dullard that your good lady is very learned and erudite.

You are a lucky man :cool:

Just back from a most enjoyable week in Ieper/Ypres.
Stayed in Ieper itself (Kanonweg 18, great house) and did loads of Good Stuff:
- visiting and paying our respects to several CWGC cemeteries in the area
- visiting The Rifle House Cemetery, probably (in the sunshine) one of the most beautiful cemetaries in the Salient
- enjoying Belgium beer & grub
- walking the Ramparts every evening
- reading the Wipers Times
- visiting the woods behind the R.E. memorial, full of history which has been left alone for decades
- having a chat with Johan at the pub "De Dreve". He told me something very exciting over his "Brother in Arms" project and hopes to complete his labour of love this year, Covid permitting. And something else...
- drinking Wipers 14 from the Kazematten brewery, where the Wipers Times was printed!
- a good walk around Plugstreet Wood, loads of bunkers, trenches and 'silence apart from the birdsong' there, I can tell yee...
- a first visit to the Ploegstreet Museum. All to ourselves and a very helpful lady to show us around (probably bored off her rocker at the moment, poor girl). Well worth a visit!!
- & enjoying Belgium beer....

IMG_0798.jpg

Staycation in North Devon with two of the Grandkids. Normally we avoid school holiday time like the plague (for obvious reasons), but eldest granddaughter is now at School, so no choice than to take our chances amongst all the other rug rats and their parents!
We found a very nice, well located and most importantly, isolated place just outside Clovelly. Clovelly Lakes Lodges, which is perfect for the kids.
Weather has been reasonably kind - despite the area being under a slow moving low weather system, we have managed to get out and about every day and even experienced quite a bit of sun. We love this part of the world and it hasn’t disappointed.
F98CE005-E670-45F1-A90D-B9E977C42DE1.jpeg

We had a nice week's staycation in late September in a rented cottage in (Charlestown of) Aberlour on Speyside. weather stayed reasonable (for northern Scotland at this time of year). The nipper had a conveniently located playpark near the old station building. Plenty of walks around the area suitable for wife, boy and dog. Had a whisky tasting and discovered the Glenfarclas of which I really recommend the 10 for a good balance of cost/taste. Self catering was a cinch due to shops in easy walking distance and some good takeaways for when we fancied it. Had a nice meal and a couple of pints at the Mash Tun in Aberlour and thoroughly recommend the Salt Cellar in Lossiemouth for seafood. All in all a good holiday apart from getting rear ended by a twat who was not paying attention.

Last edited:
I
We had a nice week's staycation in late Septemberin a rented cottage in (Charlestown of) Aberlour on Speyside. weather stayed reasonable (for northern Scotland at this time of year). The nipper had a conveniently located playpark near the old station building. Plenty of walks around the area suitable for wife, boy and dog. Had a whisky tasting and discovered the Glenfarclas of which I really recommend the 10 for a good balance of cost/taste. Self catering was a cinch due to shops in easy walking distance and some good takeaways for when we fancied it. Had a nice meal and a couple of pints at the Mash Tun in Aberlour and thoroughly recommend the Salt Cellar in Lossiemouth for seafood. All in all a good holiday apart from getting rear ended by a twat who was not paying attention.
Gave that a like, as the holiday sounds just up our street too, but it must have been a bit of a pisser having the car smashed into. Hope you’re now sorted.

I

Gave that a like, as the holiday sounds just up our street too, but it must have been a bit of a pisser having the car smashed into. Hope you’re now sorted.
The biggest regret on the holiday was that the nearby Keith and Dufftown Railway was closed due to Covid-19 as my boy loves trains and would have really enjoyed riding this heritage line.

The accident was, as it happened, half an hour out of home, on our way up. I have a nice, big, solid, roomy SUV and we hardly felt it, sustaining a bit of damage to the back and the exhaust. The other car's front end was smashed in. We were driveable, he was a recovery job. After sorting out the insurance bit and getting an RTC reference number from the Old Bill, (just in case we had sustained something more serious that was not immediately visible) we tootled back home parked up unloaded my car and loaded up the LHG's smaller one, ditching a few things in the process and turned up at our holiday cottage that evening instead of late afternoon. That was a bit of a pisser, but no one was hurt and we got our holiday, so all’s well that ends well.

After we got back, Insurance sorted out the car and I got a replacement vehicle for the duration - which I hated - a brand spankers BMW 3 series with a very uncomfortable, low driving position and with so many unnecessary electronic bells and whistles it made smoke come out of my ears. Imagine a car which insists on doing things you don't want to do!

Last edited:
I've been reading up on a touring route in Wales they're calling the Snowdonia 360.
Follows the North and West coastline, then cutting East inland on the Southern Edge of Snowdon and back up North.

I'll be giving that a spin in springtime.

wheel

LE
I've been reading up on a touring route in Wales they're calling the Snowdonia 360.
Follows the North and West coastline, then cutting East inland on the Southern Edge of Snowdon and back up North.

I'll be giving that a spin in springtime.
Not if the Welsh Gov keep locking down. We normally hideaway at my mates place in Llanberris for the Pagan Festival. Decided to book a place in Marizion Cornwall instead. It means parting with my hard earned instead of having a freebee.