This wont help recruiting or retention

^My parents phoned me on my mobile from Spain as soon as it was broadcast this morning (and my Dad is as tight as tight thing on National Tight Day - he doesn't phone mobiles in the same country never mind international)

Apparently it's all the talk of his (admittedly mostly ex-forces) retired Brit Community.

It combines a number of news stories from the last feww weeks and months about the allegedly poor treatment of reservists on demobilisation.

Without mentioning that there have been something like 15,000 reservists who've gone through the system, they present the difficulties experienced by one or two as common to all. Very professionally produced but still sensationalist journalism none the less. It won't help recruitment or retention so I've got my "All journos are bastards" shirt on again today.

But is is on precisely these few cases that the MOD should be putting its not inconsiderable resources into investigating.

msr

G

Goku

The MOD really has no excuse for allowing anyone of these cases to happen.
Substandard medical treatment of soldiers, be they reg or TA, is unacceptable.
With the TAs current recruitment problems and with the government looking for us to volunteer for future operations, the MOD should be bending over backwards to insure that our major concerns such as our health care are taken care of.

500 a month drop out rate ! at this rate there wont be anybody left in a few years time , what about the incoming rate ? to fill those empty slots ?

My only surprise is that it's taken so long to come to the fore. We all know about people having cr*p treatment at Chilwell, on arrival in Theatre, when in Theatre and on the way home. The true grit, determination and more objective approach adopted by most TA soldiers sees them through it beause it's not all that the do, it's an adjunct and therefore not the end of the world if it's not perfect. BUT, and it's a big BUT, this is precisely the whole point about the current rebalancing situation. If you want the TA to bale you out, become more "professional" (whatever that atually means), be as fit, trained, and experienced as their regular counterparts (thus diluting if not removing the whole raison d'etre of the TA) then the Regulars CANNOT rely on the old "use and abuse" philosophy.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we are fools to ourselves. We should stop mobilising and helping them out when they are not prepared (it's the MOD really, not the Regulars per se) to give us even the basic comparable benefits. This Sky article is the tip of the iceberg - pay (not the same), pensions (don't exist), even uniforms and kit. Roll on more investigative journalism - the MOD might start to take some notice.

Spend more time with the family...............

stab said:
My only surprise is that it's taken so long to come to the fore. We all know about people having cr*p treatment at Chilwell, on arrival in Theatre, when in Theatre and on the way home. The true grit, determination and more objective approach adopted by most TA soldiers sees them through it beause it's not all that the do, it's an adjunct and therefore not the end of the world if it's not perfect. BUT, and it's a big BUT, this is precisely the whole point about the current rebalancing situation. If you want the TA to bale you out, become more "professional" (whatever that atually means), be as fit, trained, and experienced as their regular counterparts (thus diluting if not removing the whole raison d'etre of the TA) then the Regulars CANNOT rely on the old "use and abuse" philosophy.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we are fools to ourselves. We should stop mobilising and helping them out when they are not prepared (it's the MOD really, not the Regulars per se) to give us even the basic comparable benefits. This Sky article is the tip of the iceberg - pay (not the same), pensions (don't exist), even uniforms and kit. Roll on more investigative journalism - the MOD might start to take some notice.

good post

Wait for FAS/FIS, allegedly as a result of pairing TA and Reg Bns TA Bns will provide something like 17+170 ready to deploy on 12 month tours which will allow the Regs to further reduce numbers.

I understand that the dental problem is being addressed by the issue of Dentures (TA). Each set comes with a pair of large pliers, a mirror, and a small tube of silicone rubber to assist with fitting.

TA Pronunciation (ss-t-ab)
acronym.
1. Use once and discard
2. Single use
3. Fire and forget
4. Disposable

stab said:

Thank god for that thought it was just me with these feelings!

I returned from Bosnia, company had reduced my pay grade "as you have been away you might not be as good at your job as you were" turned to MoD for help as this was illegal, comment "you will have to sort this out between you and your employer, it is not MoD policy to get involved in this sort of very low key discussion" crap I argued and in the end was given my old salary back but no fu***** back pay.

IMHO,
Having been on both sides of this argument, i've come to the conclusion that we may as well all bug*er off and let the 'REAL' Army play on it's own
THEN and only then will the MOD actually pay money to properly train the TA for deployment and this would also help with the regs biatching like they love to about the state of the TA augmentees that they get.
YOU PAYS FOR WHATS YOU GET!!

commander said:
I returned from Bosnia, company had reduced my pay grade "as you have been away you might not be as good at your job as you were" turned to MoD for help as this was illegal, comment "you will have to sort this out between you and your employer, it is not MoD policy to get involved in this sort of very low key discussion" crap I argued and in the end was given my old salary back but no fu***** back pay.
What you should have done is turn to Sabre:

Training - you can claim if your Reservist employee needs training when they return to work to carry out their duties properly. In order to make this claim you need to be able to demonstrate that the Reservist needs the training as a result of having been mobilised; the MOD will not pay for training that you would have carried out anyway. There is no cap on the amount you can claim for training but you will have to provide evidence of the costs, and show that the Reservist could not reach the required standard by other means, such as workplace experience.

http://www.sabre.mod.uk/output/Page33.asp#What you can claim for

msr

No offence to the TA lads intended, but I personally think that TA lads should be treated just like a soldier would treat any of his kit, it should be emmaculate and in working order when handed back in.

TA get mobilised and checked for fitness, on return to from tour the TA soldier should be completely returned to FE or as near as dam it. If not they should be classed as regular until they are sorted, this would stop some of the ping pong that seems to be occuring to the lads. If they can't earn they're own wages at work due to injury they should be paid as full time soldiers.

And any one comeing back from an OP should go straight to the head of any cue for NHS ops, or the MOD should pay for them to go private.

It's all about looking after the guys. No one will want to go away, ARAB or STAB, if they aren't going to be looked after when they return.

I can symphathise with the TA organisation that may not be fully equipped to deal with injured soldiers in this way, but the regular side of it should be able to handle them, with the hospital LOs etc. Perhaps the nearest Reg Med cen (of any capbadge/service) could be made responsible for them, with that units pay office responsible for pay.

Just a thought.

Something needs to be done though and fast, before we lose the important TA reserve that we have. Especially as they seem to be fast becomeing our only reserve, if tony and co have their way.

What makes you think they can sort medical problems out quickly anyway? :D

I waited 18 months before i got told by a Brigadier that due to my previous knee injuries, i was fit for Military PT, but not for sport :D

It then took all of 3 weeks for me to appeal against that decision and end up having an MRI scan that showed i had been walking around with torn cartlidge in both knees for the whole time (after being told i didnt need any physio).

Even then, i had a knee op a few months later, only to have to wait a further 12 months for the next one!

Its as rife in the Regs as it is for the TA trust me ;)

chocolate_frog said:
I personally think that TA lads should be treated just like a soldier would treat any of his kit, it should be emmaculate and in working order when handed back in.

TA get mobilised and checked for fitness, on return to from tour the TA soldier should be completely returned to FE or as near as dam it. If not they should be classed as regular until they are sorted.

It's all about looking after the guys. No one will want to go away, ARAB or STAB, if they aren't going to be looked after when they return.

Something needs to be done though and fast, before we lose the important TA reserve that we have. Especially as they seem to be fast becomeing our only reserve, if tony and co have their way.
Chocolate Frog, you are a dude amongst dudes in Texas. Superb comments. I know of one soldier (TA) who suffered an illness on Ops - Y list = why bother? It cost the MOD his pay for the tour, and they didn't have a soldier for most of it. Why did we have those military hospitals until a few years ago?

The regular military training is very very good. The TA 'paper over the cracks' in a seriously shortened timescale, and without the psychological change that comes with doing it full time (been both sides of the fence).

Any views as to the timescale that there should be from completing CIC/StA before a TA soldier goes on Ops? We have a duty of care. I start the bid with 12 months.

The term 'TA soldier' is only used to differentiate relevant factors.

GH

A number of years ago I injured my back on ex, was sent to the RMO, 5 RIR, who diagnosed it as being strained. Cut a long story short spent the next 2/3 years arguing with civvy doctors that I had a back injury at all until I came down with sciatica (which only happens when you injure your back) My own doctor couldn't look me in the face..
As far as the med side of things go I found the TA dead on, certainly better than Drs on civvy street anyway.
However, saying that, I know my mate wasn't going to get his bounty because he hadn't been attending enough over the bounty year (he'd selfishly been off with the first wave in Iraq, just as he'd been ordered to) until him and the rest of the boys kicked up a stink about it. He jacked it in just after he got it, applied for a job in the prison service (his own employer was scroating him about because they were raging he was off so much, you know, serving his country and that) and was told because so many applicants were in for it they had to raise the standards at the academic end of things. Apparently soldiers are good enough to fight in a foreign land for their country but not good enough to be given jobs in the bloody thing when they get back! (Have the govts lies changed from the land fit for heroes they promised our forefathers who served in the trenches? I think not...)
To close, I don't understand how the army is overstretched, or rather, how my old unit is anyway because as soon as the word was out that most of the boys were being sent out to Iraq quite a lot of us phoned the company to see if they were looking us back. Obviously we weren't expecting to be sent out straight away, retraining and all that, but we did think that the army would have had the wit to see that they would be overstretched what with being in various other parts of the world and would need fairly experienced bodies to come back in and help ease the burden somewhat. How wrong we were...
Does make you wonder, what with all the overstretch, why the govt disbanded the Royal Irish and the Black Watch and why they seem so keen on monkeying about with the infantry ad nauseum? Surely it would make more sense to reverse most of these ludicrous amalgamations of county regts and stop throwing soldiers out (cutting dead wood, as they call it)? Used to be soldiering was virtually a job for life, why is that no longer the case? One of the Rangers in B Coy had been in the Mick Guards 17 1/2 years (as a L/Sgt), got booted out with half the Regt as part of cutting of dead wood (including the RSM). He says the first thing he saw on TV on civvy street was an advert for the Irish Guards! (he probably meant the infantry in general though)
If Wellington had this state of affairs we'd have lost the Peninsula and we'd all be collaborating Frenchies now under the Kaiser.
I suppose the point is, why do bother? Whats in it for us? It seems to be we're punished for our loyalty to the Crown by the very scum who benefit from our unflinching, unquestioning service. Perfect example I suppose is Prince Harry - a bit of a drunkard who seems to have straightened himself out (to be honest, sounds like most of the squaddies I've ever met) who could be sent out to serve in the front lines as many of his potential future subjects are and then you have blairs son, whos swanning round london drinking with his well heeled cronies (who probably think the likes of us are mugs for having served, especially TA soldiers) safely nowhere near the front lines. If blair really believed that the country was in danger why then is it the case the Prince Hary (who, as a Royal, blairs mob detest. All that tradition, don't you know) is serving and his own miserable issue of a son is not?
(Apologies if that turned into a bit of a rant..)