This will hurt me more than it will hurt you.

Discussion in 'ArmyNet Announcements' started by andypaddock, Jan 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Very aware that this may cause me more trouble than I can manage at the moment but here goes.

Most of you still serving are facing an increasing amount of "doing more with less" and Armynet is no different, the Armynet team has reduced from 8 down to 1 but we are still very keen to improve the user experience.

I'm after some constructive criticism of Armynet or any reasons why people don't use it on a regular basis.

We have an aspiration to create a user forum who would be willing to help direct the development of Armynet, part of that user forum must include potential users who are yet to be convinced of Armynet's utility

2. Apart from anything else, the security to get into ArmyNet is stupid. It's a real pain in the backside and too much effort. That needs fixing first.

(Others I have spoken to have said the same)

3. I concur with Legs comment, it's such a pain in the chuff to log in I lose the will to live and just sack it and read Arrse instead.

4. I haven't used it for years. What's my Username likely to be?

P.S. I have no DII access.

5. Security isn't that bad... it's the same as going on to a bank.

6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

What's the problem with remembering a user-name, password and memorable word? Most sites with any kind of gateway (online banking etc) will ask you for the same.

Edit to add: and given that your username is invariably your last 3/4 followed by your surname it's not exactly difficult!

• Like Like x 2
  7. I stopped using army net when my pay statements were available on DII. It wasn't really worth the fuss of logging in. I don't know anyone who bothers to use it.

8. Andy, if it's not being used "a lot" (and it might help if you quantified that), you'll probably find that it's functions (email etc) are found elsewhere, like IE and OE on DII.

You might also find that, if you are comparing ArmyNet usage to other e-environments,the target audience are too busy doing other day to day work to surf the ArmyNet web.

ArmyNet for me is like a dusty tool in the bottom of a toolbox, I keep it on the off chance that one day it will come in handy.

There is nothing I need day to day that makes me rush to ArmyNet as my "Go To" font of all knowledge.

If you are worried about it's under utility, it might be because it's not providing what people need, or want, to do their day jobs.

Without being over-critical, ArmyNet may be the Betamax equivalent to the JPA VHS.

I realise that what I've posted may be of little help to you, but actually, it's more than I've put on ArmyNet. Good luck.

9. Sorry could not find your details.

The verification words are incorrect.

Sorry could not find your details.

I think I can remember my last 4 and my surname.......

10. I stopped using it as it was a PITA to access and provides nothing I can't get elsewhere on DII. I'm in two minds about the forum. Actually sounding off with a real grievance on it would be suicidal, given your username instantly IDs you.

Sorry Andy.

11. Further to my last, Andy, what sort of saving would the MoD make if ArmyNet was sacked? I realise that, as it is your employer, answering that question is a bit like turkeys voting in favour of Christmas, but honestly mate, savings have to be made.

12. Oh, and another thing or two while we're at it.

1. The last time I did get through the Fort Knox security half the forums were locked for some reason - including the 'Feedback to the CGS' forum. I take it he (his team) didn't want to have any more feedback. Really wasn't worth the effort.

2. It was very, very slow to load on any system I used (mil or civ) and I got fed up waiting.

13. Sorry could not find your details.

I might just give up now............................................................

14. I've raised a question with our accreditors to see if we still need the memorable word, I await their response.

15. Some rough figures:

Users 87579 (was over 200,000 but we reset all accounts not accessed for 2 years)

Active users: 24,000 - 30,000 unique users per month

Visits per month: 130,000 - 180,000 visits/logins

I think those figures are fairly healthy but it's bitter sweet because I can see what an under-utilised tool it is.

• Informative Informative x 1