This was at the National Arboretum 11/11/2014 True or False?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hexi Block

Old-Salt
Posted on FB site you can pm for details if interested. I hope that the remembrance services you attended private or public went well.
IMG_13313633544080.jpeg

I can pick out the gulf medals x 3. Silver Jubilee (1977)? Golden Jubilee, a reservist long service 2 bars, Order of St John (on black ribbon) Which would fit together just. As for the rest of it I saw a painting of Viscount Wellington once, that looked similiar. Could be a reservist SAS and Gulf war vet to boot, who is or has been St johns in equal gusto. It just doesn't look right. Whats the sash about? Why would you wear one? Shaped beret looks good though. I particularly lime the sparkly medal on the rhs.

Last edited:
I like his poppy.

lostinapc

Old-Salt
The three bits of bling hanging underneath the main lot look like my old man's masonic garb.........Might also explain the sash.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

The blue 'sash' is masonic and is the collar of a Provincial Officer in Craft Freemasonry. To the best of my knowledge if he was a mason he would need a dispensation from Provincial Grand Lodge to allow him to wear it at a public event and he would have to wear the apron that accompanies it. The 'medal' with the red cross looks to be the breast jewel of a masonic Knights Templar. AFAIK you're not (masonically) permitted to wear the jewels of any other order - other than HRA - with Craft regalia.

So not only is he a pongo walt but a Masonic walt as well.

He's just a sad twunt that likes to collect shiny shiny.

Last edited:
He's also wearing the Saudi and Kuwaiti "bling" medals awarded during Granby. Not meant for display and certainly shouldn't be mounted on a rack with his genuine stuff.
How do these people front up without feeling a bit of a cnut?

cymraeg

War Hero
Why not more the merrier I say. Must say im disappointed not to see blue peter badges anymore.

His outfit is nearly complete tho. Just a couple of those wobbly insect antenna things mounted to the top of his lid would really add a dash of panache

Give him a break!

He probably got a head injury when he fell off the balcony, he doesn't know what he's doing..

He's never fully recovered from the stun grenade blast when he was the first in through the flaming curtains.

Blimey, you click the 'click this image to show the full-size image' and he gets wider.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
He's also wearing the Saudi and Kuwaiti "bling" medals awarded during Granby. Not meant for display and certainly shouldn't be mounted on a rack with his genuine stuff.

as he is (I imagine) a civi now he can wear what the hell he likes, especially if he as been awarded/given/gifted it even by another country. I'd be surprised if his lodge allowed him to wear any masonic regalia in public, and that mixture of medals makes him look like he was dressed by an epileptic in a strobe light shop.

I may well just add my saudi and kuwait medals along with my non article 5 UN medal just to upset people who get infuriated by such things.

B

bokkatankie

He is wearing his Gulf War 1 medals incorrectly, the Kuwaiti one was issued first, so that should come before the Saudi one

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
his Jewels are - Knights of Malta breast jewel - Knights Templar breast jewel - dunno what the third one is and the star is knights templar breast star

as he is (I imagine) a civi now he can wear what the hell he likes, especially if he as been awarded/given/gifted it even by another country. I'd be surprised if his lodge allowed him to wear any masonic regalia in public, and that mixture of medals makes him look like he was dressed by an epileptic in a strobe light shop.

I may well just add my saudi and kuwait medals along with my non article 5 UN medal just to upset people who get infuriated by such things.

Fill yer boots - each to his own.

It is a masonic sash but whilst the Freemasons have a garden at the Arboretum and hold a service there on 11/11 they do NOT wear any regalia for the event. Other than the PGM and two others wearing a chain of office. As mentioned you would need dispensation to wear masonic regalia in public and that would include the apron with the sash....

So he is a Masonic Walt....

Edit: He is a very brave walt to take on the SAS, Freemasons and Knight's Templar all in one go in public where there will be quite a few of all there groups there. That or incredibly stupid.

Last edited:
The blue 'sash' is masonic and is the collar of a Provincial Officer in Craft Freemasonry. To the best of my knowledge if he was a mason he would need a dispensation from Provincial Grand Lodge to allow him to wear it at a public event and he would have to wear the apron that accompanies it. The 'medal' with the red cross looks to be the breast jewel of a masonic Knights Templar. AFAIK you're not (masonically) permitted to wear the jewels of any other order - other than HRA - with Craft regalia..

That's on the money. There was a Masonic contingent participating in the recent London Lord Mayor's Show.

Hexi Block

Old-Salt
My own personal view on medals is, no matter how you got em, get them out of the box and wear them. The foreign ones you can't wear when in, wear when your out happy days ( probably below your pucker ones).
As for who cares, not really me to be honest, but it did upset a few of the wrinklies who had gone for a specific act of remembrance. Whether your into it or not, if your there you wind your neck in and toe the line. This gentlemen spoilt that atmosphere as much as anyone burning the poppys on the memorial. So it does matter and it matters a lot.
If hes legit fair play! Badged or not someone needs a word in his shell like.
If he's a complete herbert, then he needs to be told to stop. As he is just upsetting the old folk. If he's ill, he needs help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads