This Tribe Kosa 3 Duvet Jacket.

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by Ravers, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Black

19 vote(s)
  2. Blue

6 vote(s)

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

As a few of us are going to be trialling these over the coming weeks, I thought it might be an idea to start a thread so we can compare notes etc.

Mine arrived this morning and so far I'm pretty impressed. It seems well made and it has a nice inspirational Kipling poem printed on the inside, why? I have no idea, but I like it none the less.

I've been looking for a decent duvet/softie type jacket for a while now. Since I moved up north, I've started getting a lot more into technical clothing. It's cold, wet and miserable up here and I'm slowly investing in some decent clobber that will shield me from the elements.

Originally I looked towards more traditional military stuff, Montane, Keela, Buffalo etc. I know all of these are pretty good, I own a lightweight, uninsulated Buffalo for fair weather hill walking. The problem with all of these is they look gash. I'm also not a fan of the 'over the head' smock type design. Unless you are out on the hills or sat in the middle of Sennybridge, you look a bit chad cutting about in one. These aren't the sort of thing I'd wear to the pub.

With this in mind, I looked towards proper down jackets, these are generally pretty pricey and the major downside is that they are no good when you get them wet. They also appear to be quite fragile, no good for military use then.

Since I'm no longer in the mob and I don't plan on leopard crawling over jagged rocks anytime soon, I decided down was probably the way to go. The Alpkit Filo seems to be the best value down jacket on the market at the moment, only problem is, it appears to be permanently out of stock, along with a load of other decent looking kit that I want to buy from them.

So I twiddled my thumbs for a bit, looked at the offerings in Go Outdoors and literally on the day I was planning to spunk circa £150 on a RAB jacket, I spotted the thread about the Kosa.

The Kosa appears to tick all my boxes, had I known about it prior to last week, I probably would've bought one anyway. It seems rugged enough to withstand a bit of abuse, had I still been in the mob, I'd pack it in my bergan as my item of warm kit, but it also looks alright. I like the styling, I like the fit. I like the fact that it has a full zip up front and isn't an 'over the head' jobby. The logo is nice and subtle too, I'm not one for walking around with 'North Face' plastered across my chest in Day-Glo lettering.

All in all, I'm really quite enamoured with it.

The coming weeks will see how it performs. I'll be using it out on the farm in shitty Cumbrian weather and I'll be doing the odd bit of fell walking, maybe Helvellyn at the weekend. If we get a day of sunshine, I'll probably go for a little blast around Ullswater in the dinghy too.

I'll report back in due course.

To the hills!*

*Via the pub.
  2. Ravers,
    Mine has also arrived today, just seen the Kipling quote and sniggered, then saw your thread, initial thoughts, looks good, doesn't feel very thick so be interesting to see how warm it is in comparison to the Rab coat my dog ate. Bearing in mind it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than a Rab and isn't 4 season either or it probably would be more expensive.
    I'll report back.
    Cheers again boss's
  3. Guess you'll be donating the £150 to a miserable, wet and cold poppy seller then? Or, if you're planning on doing Helvellyn this weekend, the Mountain Rescue (have you seen the forecast, our part of 't world is going to be effin miserable.....) as they will be lifting offcomers all around you...........
  4. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'll be spending the money on a new trampoline for the kids.

Anyway, I've just discovered the jacket has excellent windproofing. ImageUploadedByARRSE1351690276.698544.jpg
  5. That actually looks like just the ticket for mine. Half term spent in an external, roofed, cage - brilliant.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I imagine he'll donate to charity as he sees fit.
  7. One wonders if you will be donating £150 to some charity since you see fit to tell others what to do with their sheckles.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Oh we are touchy. Out of bed the wrong side? Northern attempt at humour wasted in this forum? A life, get.
  9. Jarrod, there is a reason I have you on ignore. Don't why I peeked behind that curtain.
  10. Northern humour? I doubt it.
  11. Put me back on quick then you condescending creature.
  12. Which bit?
  13. I tend to understand humour.
  14. You and humour.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. You obviously know me...........