This silence on the Army speaks volumes

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Sep 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In full

# Allan Mallinson, the author and military historian, was a soldier for 35 years
  2. Not bad for a cavalry officer...
  3. Wise words indeed, unfortunately they fall on deaf ears
  4. The silence is understandable, with politicians simply reflecting the public mood (as they should). British involvement in Iraq was, and is, highly unpopular and few understand why British troops are in Afghanistan. Many people – of all political persuasions – hate the close British collaboration with Bush. They see it as a national humiliation:

*Yo Blair!*

In these circumstances, home-coming parades would be absurd, and probably counter-productive. It would be reasonable for the millions who opposed British involvement in Iraq, and opposed British linkage with Bush’s ‘War on Terror’ to boycott the parades, or turn up and demonstrate against them.

I’ve no problem making the distinction between politicians who make stupid mistakes and entirely honourable troops who then suffer because of them. But when political mistakes are made involving the military you can’t expect the public to wave flags when the troops come home.

What’s needed are vigorous grassroots organisations campaigning on behalf of the military, putting the views of ordinary soldiers on the front line, those suffering directly because of the mistakes of politicians. The word ‘BAFF’ springs to mind. You can’t expect the top brass to make all the running.
  5. I am sure that I am not the only ex military person to watch the likes of Des Browne on TV, and think to themselves "this person has no idea what he is talking about" should it not be a requirement of the job as minister for the armed forces that he has at least limited time in one of the services. It always make me laugh when he is telling the press how the man on the ground feels!!!
  6. Oh FFS wake up. Labour sent the forces on those "unpoular" missions. They should be shouting to the rafters the reasons and objectives. They are supposed to be our elected leaders. Silence on this is despicable.
  7. So if he and the government understand defence, as claimed, the only logical conclusion is that they really do hold the Armed Forces in contempt. I hope that gives you all a warm and fuzzy feeling... :x
  8. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Perhaps he was being Scottish Secretary on that day.
  9. you only have to remember what tony was up to during the falklands to understand his and Gordons current attempts at populism. He was decrying the army and trying to detract attention from the boys by pushing forward his own mandate (education, education, education) then prmptly comes to power and starts six wars. :x

des brown has no idea what so ever i know both him and his family....nuff said
  10. I realise that by disagreeing with you I'm putting myself in your "sh1t-thick" squaddie bracket - nice touch for an arrogant crusty - but clearly you DO have a problem making the distinction between the politicians who make the decisions and the Armed Forces who carry them out.

If you were able to do so you would not be suggesting that the Armed Forces should be held accountable for politicians actions and punished by public rejection or even demonstrations against them!

You post some cack Annarkey but the above is poor even by your standards.
  11. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

This is no more than what we have been saying, with no visible reaction from HMG, for some time now. This is no more than another nail in the coffin that is HM Forces.

Does this story really surprise anyone? It shouldn't. We have all known the comtempt that Brown has for us from before he even took post as Chancellor.

How long until the lid closes?

PS Does anyone have the real figures for recruitment and leavers within the Army. I'd love to see them.
  12. I agree they should be, but they won't, for venal political reasons. You know what a dirty business politics is, and Iraq was Blair's poll tax. He made a massive mistake and the rest of his crew are running for cover. I admire Dannatt for speaking out - all power to his elbow. But each time an eighteen year old is killed (whilst occupying a trench dug by the Taliban to fight the Soviets while missiles provided by Ronald Reagan streak up at British helicopters) the soldiers themselves should also be putting their case, in their own way, in their own language, through organisations which they control. It's too important to be left to Dannatt.
  13. Follow the link... :D

I've not suggested that. I've suggested that Dannatt's propaganda exercise is insufficient. The British public should be informed of the effects of their politcial choices, of the mistakes made in their names by the politicians they elected. Who better to do so than those actually getting it in the neck?
  14. Fair do's.

You may not even have realised it but that is exactly what you suggest. political mistakes involving the deployment of the Armed Forces could justifiably lead to the public rejecting those forces or actively protesting against them should they be offered a welcome home parade That is how I would paraphrase the general thrust of your posts.

Back tracking and saying the public need to hear that the government is crap from us is botox, if they can't figure it out for themselves why would they listen to anyone else?
  15. Can we drop the "P" word? Gen Dannatt's words are anything but an exercise in what this Government excels.