This should be pinned up in every recruiting office

bangalore said:
I'm still serving but I'm also a qualified teacher, project manager, I have had some of the best managerial experience imagined and can generally turn my hand to almost anything because that is what the Infantry has taught me - self sufficiency, motivation and the ability to strive for success.

I think for someone who left school with next to nothing I haven't done badly. The reason for this is I've bothered my arrse to do something about my education and got the Army to do something about it too, as well as pay for it. I've also got the Army to pay for a degree level course which I'm studying at the moment.

The good thing about the Army is, if you have the ability and motivation to improve yourself they will help you.

It's very easy to sit on your backside and do nothing but it won't get you anywhere, I wish I'd done something about it earlier.
I don't know about given to all recruits, it should be pinned up in the window of every recruiting office!
Speedy said:
I don't know about given to all recruits, it should be pinned up in the window of every recruiting office!
Yes :)
Telecomsgeek said:
I will also add my recommendation for the open university.

Just graduated :D
Nice one, congratulations.
I could not Agree more
AB - as long as it is for interest/self improvement and a bit of volunteer work, but as far as employment
Is concerened archaeology is a bit of a wipe-out thanks to the recession.

Less construction means less ground surveys plus no cash for museums etc.

There is a great post grad course in forensic archeology - excavating modern sites of recent
mass killings for the courts etc, but even that is winding down.

You probably know this, just trying to be helpful.
I'll add my support! I'm part through teacher training, studied Engineering with the the OU and found the whole thing very rewarding.

To all the nay sayers all I ever ask them to consider is how a potential employer will look on them if they have bothered their ar$e to improve their lot over their time in the Army compared to those who wait to be spoon fed wonders!

Good luck, fortune favours the brave!
"Formal education will get you a job. Self-education will earn you a fortune!" a quote by Jim Rohn. I personally have found the latter half of that quote very empowering. Gaining qualifications is important, but so is a self-starting attitude and a desire to learn from life. A healthy balance between the two seems to be a recipe for success IMHO.
I totally agree with todays Squaddie getting off his ar$e and doing something about his education. OU is a great road to go down, as you can do it at your own pace. A lot of my friends have done this. I also took the plunge, and as someone else on here put "wish I had done it earlier"
How did you find the systems? I'm considering doing an Archaeology degree with the O.U

I have just finished all of the Classical Studies modules available at the OU including Ancient Greek and Latin Language. The world archaeology module is very broad in its aims but would definitely suit someone as a stand alone module to be credited to later study if you so wish. PM me if you have any questions.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
I agree, Tropper, we hardly knew ye... :cry: