this regaurds criminal convictions and joining the army

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by unshavenrico, May 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ok so when "my friend" lived in the usa he was a idiot and ended up doing 2 years in a state prison. "he" was then deported back to the uk (is a brit citizen), now noone in the united kingdom know that he was deported nor that he was ever convicted (was convicted (1999-2002), it is a case of lesson completly learned and he has done a complete 180.anyhow he has always wanted to join up since a kid and even was going to join in the usa untill this happened and now that has oppertunity to do this he is just wondering if he should come clean or keep it under his hat? lets say if example he had gotten locked up for breaking into a storage shed and stealing a shotgun(accessory to) and being convicted of carrying a firearm after that. he never came into contact with anyone nor was the crime of a violent nature he is just really sorry about how he messed his life up and wants to know what do do any input would be great
    he was relesed in jan 2002 it has been 5 years since the conviction his name does no appear on the database that people convicted in forigen countrys are listed on due to the issues with that system within the uk government for the last few years again he is a totaly diff person since getting out even got his highschool education while in the american system

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Can you try again but this time in English with punctuation?

3. ok so when "my friend" lived in the usa he was a idiot and ended up doing 2 years in a state prison. "he" was then deported back to the uk (is a brit citizen), noone in the united kingdom knows that he was deported nor that he was ever convicted (was convicted (1999-2002), it is a case of lesson completly learned and he has done a complete 180.

anyhow he has always wanted to join up since a kid and even was going to join in the usa untill this happened and now that has oppertunity to do this he is just wondering if he should come clean, or keep it under his hat?

lets say if example he had gotten locked up for breaking into a storage shed and stealing a shotgun(accessory to), and being convicted of carrying a firearm after that.

he never came into contact with anyone nor was the crime of a violent nature. he is just really sorry about how he messed his life up and wants to know what do do any input would be great.

he was relesed in jan 2002 it has been 5 years since the conviction. his name does no appear on the database that people convicted in forigen countrys are listed on ,due to the issues with that system within the uk government for the last few years, again he is a totaly diff person since getting out even got his highschool education while in the american system

hows that any better ive even seperated the paragraphs for you

4. im going to sorta update this bare with me sorry if its a mess

when he was deported the officials (ins officers) said "listen join the military you seem like you have really learned" they even commented on how nice of a person he was

the judge at the deportation senticing stated that he should consider joining the military when returned home if that was something he wanted to do (obviously my freind had stated this as what he had wanted to do)

he is well aware that if he has to declare this conviction and is accepted into the military it will be 110 percent more difficult for him to proove his worth in the long run and establishing trust

again thanks for any responses etc that could help out

5. Best thing to do under circumstances is for your'friend' to go to ACIO and tell them complete story and take it from there.
    One main reason being if 'friend 'keeps qiuet and by some wild chance gets away with it all then his Unit deploys to U.S.A on exercise etc then gets discovered through some reason then the sh*t will hit the fan as once Uncle Sam has thrown you out it generally means stay out and it would be classed as re-entering country illegally--big trouble!!

6. "now noone in the united kingdom know that he was deported nor that he was ever convicted (was convicted (1999-2002),

Errrr we do !
    So tell the truth to AC10

good luck

WW

7. cheers for input he will be seeing about getting the 10 year definate restriction (on re entry into usa) possibly removed, after this time (if this can not be removed) he is allowed to re enter the united states but only with permission after the 10 year period. he still has family in the states that are looking into this

i think the main thing is if he knew the army would take him even despite this he would gladly say yeah i got convicted of x y and x and even if that meant he had to have it on a uk record he would gladly because he would have what he has wanted(he would be accrepted into the army) you know but admitting if this to the powers that be (and it would have to be put on his record in the uk) and not getting in to the army would mean his prospects for any sort of future were more or less down the pot

he has been given a second chance that alot of people dont and end up in and out of the nick he just dont want to have that stigma hanging over his head all his life being part of his countrys army would mean more than that
    all he has ever wanted to be was a mark-1 and thats about it really

yeah as you can see i just type i dont bother punctuating lol

8. Tell matey to go for it.

Keep stoom or somewhere along the line some jobsworth is bound to give him a big tablet.

9. the only gov aware are the united states we know this for a fact it cost us alot of money to gain that particular information even with freedom of information etc.... for whatever reason my mate's past has not been logged in the united kingdom (or any of the territories under its protection) if you search the news achives you will find that the system has been flawed (registration of persons british and non british citizens with forigen criminal convictions) and we have let quite a few thousand unregistered criminals into the country over past 10 yrs. and even though it has been an advantage for him its quite scary as you can see we are just getting the ball rolling and this is much a fact finding excersise as anything

10. Tell them. I suspect they will find out even if he doesn't.

When he joins he needs to have security clearance. If he has family in the US, they will check his and his family's histories with the US authorities.

If they catch him out and he didn't disclose it he will be forever unemployable in HMs Forces. Quite right too.

Good luck,

FF.

Edited to change "you" to "he".

11. I reckon your friend should be OK if, as you say your friend has not re-offended in the last 5 years and his crime was not one of a violent or dishonest nature - vist the AFCO and have a look at the "Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (MOD Form 493). Declare everthing and if they think you have have a chance they can prepare a "Special Enlistment" AF B203 and refer you to HQ Recruiting Group.

Good luck (to your friend of course)

12. Best of luck to your friend but he MUST come clean to the ACIO about this, with all supporting documents etc.

13. I know a young chap aged approx 28 yrs old now serving in Army!!!!

He delared to the local ACIO..approx 2002/3....that he had slit the throat of a person (step father) who continuosly beat up his mother.

He done 1 year in civvy nick!!!....He told the truth!!!

14. thanks for all the input people i had a breif chat online with a recruter altough it wasnt as info packed as would have liked in all fairness my case is not the norm so i couldnt really expect much the spent criminal conviction for the amount of time served would be 10 years again this would be if commited and served time in uk the conviction in question in in the united states.
    so its not looking to hopefull this end anyhow i guess ill close of this forum but you have all been great help even the douche bag who commented on lack of punctuation lol
    looks like it may have to be an attempt to join the foreign legion although this will be infinatly more difficult due to the fact that they opperate with what 8500 cap and get how many applicants lol

15. I know your friend done 2 years state prison, but, what was he sentenced to? (eg got 5 years and done 2) If he was sentenced to a period of NO MORE THAN 30 MONTHS then he should be ok but a 203 will have to be done for him. If he was sentenced to more than this, he will never get into the Army as the conviction will never be spent.

This is the current regulations. Above all be honest at ACIO/AFCO, we will do security checks guaranteed.