This reality TV circus that demeans UK War Dead and Injured

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Sep 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Very interesting piece by Mr. Newland about media who he accuses of twisting coverage of UK deaths into policy arguments against the war.

2. totally agree (says he from the comfort of his living room).

Media'll hijack anything for ratings. Moreover, there's a highly vocal minority rooting for the enemy and would just love to see our forces lose.

3. A good article.

Unfortunately, the media will hijack anything and spin it their way if they think it increases their ratings.

Their platitudes ring hollow when we know their bottom line is all about the $$$

4. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

It was ever thus. I remember my parents receiving letters from our relatives back home saying what was being reported about Aden, and it being nothing like what was really going on out there.

News media are not there to report news, but to sell more papers/adverts.

5. groan! No profits - no point.

Are you suggesting that News Networks don't provide a service. I expect you've heard of Reuters, Grown-up? They are a no-frills provider who's employees are constantly at the sharp end.

6. But have more than there fair share of controversies. Much like the Guardian BBC.

7. Says on Wiki that Martin Newland was educated at Sandhurst, but no mention of further service. Anyone add any meat to the bones?

Also suggests he might be standing as a Conservative at the next election.

8. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Heard of them? I did some work for them at one point. However they don't actually publish newspapers or deliver news stories to living rooms. Others, with axes to grind and stuff to sell, take Reuters' news, and 'embellish', 'slant', 'twist' or 'spin' it to suit their own agendas.

9. I have to add that bigeye has admitted to manipulation himself in footage that he has taken.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=133651/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=80.html

Why? I suppose only he will know, but it wasn't as bad as LBC's manipulations...like thats a valid excuse. :roll: He states that it was for "a better shot", could that mean "make the shot more dramatic to increase sales of the footage" or "make the shot more dramatic to boost his cause". Whatever the reason, it was manipulation, i.e. not showing the actual circumstances.

On that note, I am off for lunch.

edited cos I forgot something

10. That was my point - in other words not all News media is about profits above content.

11. At Sandhurst or in Sandhurst?

12. "Newland was educated at Downside School, the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, and Heythrop College, University of London, where he took an MA in theology."

13. Manipulate the shot? I'll give you an example:

I was filming Ms Lumley as she assisted the Gurkhas I spent a couple of days following her around. At one point we were in the garden at Downing street and she was kneeling down talking to Tul Bahadur Pun VC. It was a nice shot but I couldn't see his face so I asked her to move around to the left - she did.

It was a more dramatic shot but did it mean more people watched Sky News that day - who knows?

As a news cameraman you are looking to cover an event accurately and you rarely direct the subjects - but in order to make sure the images you are filming make sense it's sometimes necessary to slightly influence the situation. As above

This is a still shot taken at the same time:
    Joanna

14. bigeye, don't bite for the troll.

He's not smart enough to realise that quoting you out of context to "prove" his ignorant point is exactly the twisting and manipulation that he accuses the entire media industry of.

I think a reread of the other thread, and a quick glance at his other posts (and the general tone of peoples replies to them) indicates that the man is a cretin, and commonly regarded as such.

15. deleted for being a misspelling mong.