this PAYD thing?

ive lurked here on and off for a while. joined recently and have spent a fair amount of time reading about things ive missed etc since leaving- 1989.
the thing thats shocked me the most is this PAYD thing-how widespread is it? seems a shocking thing to do to a soldier. does this just work for "dinner" or do you need to cough up for breakfast too? an of course the obvious question- if paying for meals have the wages been adjusted accordingly?? im guessing i know the answer to that 1 :(
What happens if your-to be blunt-skint??
Sorry for all the questions but im a little stunned at this 1.

D

1700-10

B_AND_T

LE
Book Reviewer
Journo??

oh your having a laugh eh pal!!!
chepstow, 60 fld sp sqn at waterbeach, 40 AESG at willich. Attached to amphibious sqn for tour of Ulster, Falklands twice-82 and 83
so please dont insult me eh!!!!

in fact if i mentioned i was an 80c and a welder im pretty sure theres someone on here knows me, ive certanly seen plenty names i recognise.

claim to fame as regards RE--i was the 1 on guard the night the screws mess burnt down at gib barracks in 82. was involved in a roundabout kind of way.

D

1700-10

REgards said:
was it you with the bottle of vodka, rag and zippo then?
no not quite :D
lets just say the main instigator was tired from giving me the run around all day and evening. Was probably the last time he picked on a sprog :eek:

D

1700-10

chimera

LE
So what do you do for a living now?

bikerbear666 said:
oh your having a laugh eh pal!!!
chepstow, 60 fld sp sqn at waterbeach, 40 AESG at willich. Attached to amphibious sqn for tour of Ulster, Falklands twice-82 and 83
so please dont insult me eh!!!!

in fact if i mentioned i was an 80c and a welder im pretty sure theres someone on here knows me, ive certanly seen plenty names i recognise.

claim to fame as regards RE--i was the 1 on guard the night the screws mess burnt down at gib barracks in 82. was involved in a roundabout kind of way.

D

1700-10
PM on the way Mate

chimera

LE
bikerbear666 said:
Carried on as a welder :D
So presumably when you turned up to work as a welder, you got breakfast lunch and dinner provided free?

And I suppose the people staying at your hotel who come in for dinner don't pay for it either?

chimera said:
bikerbear666 said:
Carried on as a welder :D
So presumably when you turned up to work as a welder, you got breakfast lunch and dinner provided free?

And I suppose the people staying at your hotel who come in for dinner don't pay for it either?
not quite sure what your problem or point is?? having read the full thread provided above i dont seem to be the only 1 with a problem with this scheme/system. What happened to an army marches on its stomach--seems its now an army marches on its stomach if its got some cash in its pocket.
Reading that above thread 1 thing i did notice-when i was serving (80's) i dont remember anyone moaning about the money being took from wages for food that you didnt eat, ie away home at weekend etc. it was just the accepted system. balanced out in the long run.

D

1700-10

dont worry about me-ive broad shoulders and the intelect to match most so if people want to be unwelcoming to the msg board then thats up to them.

Must say i expected a slightly warmer welcome- i hope other sappers get a better welcome on a sappers msg board but i wont lose sleep over it.

thanks for your compassion tho :D

D

1700-10

bikerbear666 said:
dont worry about me-ive broad shoulders and the intelect to match most so if people want to be unwelcoming to the msg board then thats up to them.

Must say i expected a slightly warmer welcome- i hope other sappers get a better welcome on a sappers msg board but i wont lose sleep over it.

thanks for your compassion tho :D

D

1700-10
Biker, I am not a sapper nor a singlie, but this subject is close to my heart as my previous unit was used as a giunea pig for it in BFG, and my present unit has just been taken over by it.

There are a few points that you should maybe consider.

'The army marches on its stomach.' A lot of people where not prepared to pay for meals they didn't recieve, and ultumately, a lot of food was going to waste as people were not attending meals. Cook to order is not an option all the time. Thus money was wasted and UCWO's and QM's were not happy.

The mod, (along with a lot of people in key areas) decided to to farm contracts out to the (probably) lowest bidder in order to pass the money loss. This however, hasn't really worked as the portions are smaller and food is not of the same quality as it was.

The only good thing, (although I've yet to see it happen) is that the contract manager (usually the QM) can approuch the area manager of said company if they are not providing the product that they said they would in that contract, and give them a financially penalty.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, and I could rant on more, but alas I am in the hands of PAYD :roll: tonight at a mess function, but will watch for your reply tomorrow.

BTW, in + 2hrs Uk time so its not early!

Edited for ranting mongness.

heidtheba
Spr or not-if yer a squaddie and you eat then i suppose it can affect you.

i started this thread cause i was perusing away and came across a post with PAYD in it. i joked to myself what the initials stood for and then as i read the actual post realised i was right in my guess. As i said in an earlier post there was no moans etc from anyone when i was serving. If you went home for the weekend and didnt use the cookhouse then so be it-was your choice for going home. Money was never an issue to be honest. I suppose in this day and age what with wastage = money and cutbacks across the board then something was going to change.

hope yer evening wasnt too expensive :eek:

D

1700-10

I remember PAYD being tried as early as 1971 when you purchased meal tickets from your Company Office on re-payment. It did not last long since cookhouses could not manage on the amount of meals being taken up.

Paying for missed meals has been a moaning point for years, and no one stopped to work out just what a bargain it was even if you only attended one meal a day! Of course the advent of single rooms and increase of fast food over the years changed soldiers eating habits.

Enter the contractor on the lowest bid and profit targets, and you should have realised that the poor squady would be the loser!

Sometimes the grass is not really greener on the other side!

As soon as I heard PAYD was coming in...I bought shares in the George Foreman grill!

bikerbear666 said:
heidtheba
Spr or not-if yer a squaddie and you eat then i suppose it can affect you.

i started this thread cause i was perusing away and came across a post with PAYD in it. i joked to myself what the initials stood for and then as i read the actual post realised i was right in my guess. As i said in an earlier post there was no moans etc from anyone when i was serving. If you went home for the weekend and didnt use the cookhouse then so be it-was your choice for going home. Money was never an issue to be honest. I suppose in this day and age what with wastage = money and cutbacks across the board then something was going to change.

hope yer evening wasnt too expensive :eek:

D

1700-10
Biker, I don't know the cost yet, however, the night was good, but the food portions were sh1te. RSM duly informed about 2ish and backed up.

PAYD, Good on paper, sh1te in reality.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MrBane Weapons, Equipment & Rations 1
short-fuse Weapons, Equipment & Rations 7
lynxeffectLOL! Aviation 10