this PAYD thing?

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by bikerbear666, Jan 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ive lurked here on and off for a while. joined recently and have spent a fair amount of time reading about things ive missed etc since leaving- 1989.
    the thing thats shocked me the most is this PAYD thing-how widespread is it? seems a shocking thing to do to a soldier. does this just work for "dinner" or do you need to cough up for breakfast too? an of course the obvious question- if paying for meals have the wages been adjusted accordingly?? im guessing i know the answer to that 1 :(
    What happens if your-to be blunt-skint??
    Sorry for all the questions but im a little stunned at this 1.

D

1700-10

2. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Journo??

3. A bit fishy to me.......

4. oh your having a laugh eh pal!!!
    chepstow, 60 fld sp sqn at waterbeach, 40 AESG at willich. Attached to amphibious sqn for tour of Ulster, Falklands twice-82 and 83
    so please dont insult me eh!!!!

in fact if i mentioned i was an 80c and a welder im pretty sure theres someone on here knows me, ive certanly seen plenty names i recognise.

claim to fame as regards RE--i was the 1 on guard the night the screws mess burnt down at gib barracks in 82. was involved in a roundabout kind of way.

D

1700-10

5. was it you with the bottle of vodka, rag and zippo then?

6. no not quite :D
    lets just say the main instigator was tired from giving me the run around all day and evening. Was probably the last time he picked on a sprog :eek:

D

1700-10

7. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

So what do you do for a living now?

8. Arsonist :?

9. PM on the way Mate

10. Carried on as a welder until 5 years ago when the wife and i bought a bar and small hotel. Much nicer way of life :D

D

1700-10

11. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

So presumably when you turned up to work as a welder, you got breakfast lunch and dinner provided free?

And I suppose the people staying at your hotel who come in for dinner don't pay for it either?

12. I feel sort of sorry for the bikerbear, bit of a lashing for no real reason? Apart of course from the Sapper bit!

13. not quite sure what your problem or point is?? having read the full thread provided above i dont seem to be the only 1 with a problem with this scheme/system. What happened to an army marches on its stomach--seems its now an army marches on its stomach if its got some cash in its pocket.
    Reading that above thread 1 thing i did notice-when i was serving (80's) i dont remember anyone moaning about the money being took from wages for food that you didnt eat, ie away home at weekend etc. it was just the accepted system. balanced out in the long run.

D

1700-10

14. dont worry about me-ive broad shoulders and the intelect to match most so if people want to be unwelcoming to the msg board then thats up to them.

Must say i expected a slightly warmer welcome- i hope other sappers get a better welcome on a sappers msg board but i wont lose sleep over it.

thanks for your compassion tho :D

D

1700-10