This ought to be a good show

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Fireplace, Jan 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Private navy to engage Samoli pirates

Private navy goes to war on Somali pirates | The Sunday Times

I have long wondered why the world powers in the region, stretched thought they are, didn't simply have the container ships, tankers and others stage and sail convoy fashion.

What a treat it would be to see daily action results broadcast immediately following the sports report.

2. An ex bootie mate of mine has been working out there on anti-piracy for the past 18 months (for extremely good money), he was saying they only usually have to fire a flare towards any approaching boats and the pirates tend to turn around and bugger off once they know there is security on board. Some have tried to board though, he says they wrap the railing around the ship in razor wire but the pirates try to fire grappling hooks at it to pull the wire off so they can board. ARRSERs will be pleased to know he's issued with an SLR as well!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Any idea who's behind it? Pilgrims in Woking?

4. wtf-fire a flare at them !! ffs hes got an slr=600 meter warning shot then 500 meter start slottin the fckrs and continue till within flare range to see if any are still alive then use flare to burn skinnys till all are crisp and dried. !!

• Like Like x 5
  5. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

This bloke obviously has a mate at the sunday times. There are a fair few companies operating out there and at least one other has ships it uses, so a load of bollocks, lies and half truths in the article. Odd that he's starting this now when the incidence of successful attacks has fallen dramatically due to the presence of armed guards on ships and the actions of the regular naval forces in the area.

6. Mmmmhhhhhh, did Jimbo caught Shortt's new health hazard hotel in Oxford come with a derelict boat or two by any chance?

7. Its a group called Typhon. Board members include Dannett and Deverell.

I remain to be convinced that this is commercially viable, given decreasing appetite amongst the shipping industry for high cost security and increasing competition from alternative providers of cheaper services.

Fireplace,

Convoys are run by various naval forces but not mandatory.

8. where have yo been you delicious creature, i've missed you so much xx

9. A private navy being founded in Hampshire....doesn't that make a mockery of the Magna Carta somewhat?

10. And as if by magic Jarrod appears.

11. He's as cute as a button and has dreamy eyes and lovely hair.

12. Fixed that.....

• Like Like x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I'm confused.... There's no cheaper method for shipping by bulk other than by a ship ? Flying 250,000 tons of stuff is f**king expensive and slow. And the cost of a ship held by pirates plus it's cargo is far greater than the cost of paying for security that insurance agencies are increasingly keen on

14. Attached Files:

• sm01.JPG
      sm01.JPG
      File size:
      38.5 KB
      Views: