This Ones Dedicated to 5.56 but open to all

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Boxy, Apr 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What was the first bit of kit you ever bought?

Mine was a Pertex/Buffalo type 4 seasons bag, I was sweet young & innocent Tpr in the '**s & was fekked off by constantantly getting hold of a WARM XL '58 sleeping bag, putting it in the dohbi system at end ex only to recieve a short arrse featherless one back!

What have I started!!
  2. A spare '58 pattern poncho roll holder to sit on top of my kidney pouches. I had my poncho and waterproofs in the top one and my NBC suit in the bottom one.

It was well ally in the mid-eighties, trust me.
  3. I bought a Single mag pouch which attatched to my wrist, Now I can reload in extra fast SAS Style times. I also got a super bright torch in DPM that I taped to my handgaurd.

It ws mega.
  4. I bought a Softy Jacket - one of the best pieces of kit I purchased during my career. Its warm, but also cosy for when your mincing around the CV or the Op's Room.
  5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

A good smock to replace the sh1te one's we were issued with at the time.(Remember the one's where the pockets ripped off,no lining & ripped easily?)
  6. & the DPM sponges that took 'kages to dry
  7. Percy_Pigeon

Percy_Pigeon War Hero Book Reviewer

A green Norwegian shirt shortly followed by a black 4 RTR black Norwegian ( for FRG use).

Hard, I was nearly in ultimate farce…

Didn’t last though the new Victorian SSM had everyone in Elvis rig for the next 6 months.
  8. Mine was probably one of those waterproof notebooks. They had just come out and I was the only one in the Coy to have one. I was a radio op at the time and dutifully wrote down all messages in pencil. The pln sgt went to sit in on an OGp and decided it would be an idea to take a record of the latest signal traffic, so borrowed my book. When the book was returned, I found that the Sgt had also used the book to record his orders - in biro! It never came clean.
  9. A poxy Corps (RE) track suit we all had to get in 1 Regt.
  10. Ninja!

Oh, and mine was probably a notepad or something else dull like that. Or does that not count as kit?
  11. Helly Hanson t-shirt and field jacket - also to be worn down the Posh-Wash laundrette on fri afternoons whilst watching your webbing/bergen and trops go round and round in the washing machine !

Mini-maglite torch (non-DPM) with (optional) red filter. Never to be used on exercise for tactical reasons, but for some reason it was SOP's to carry them. Plus, there was no way to fit the montrosity of a right-angle torch in the webbing, unless you cut the bottom off that small pouch that used to be attached to the back-side of the right ammo pouch and slip it in there.

Those tiny metal Gerber torches sold these days are the dogs nadgers. Does anyone still use a Right Angle torch ? (apart from aircrew)
  12. aye, many cadets (including myself) can be seen with one.
  13. With my first bounty I bought a Norwegian Army Shirt, and a Berghaus Cylcops Roc
  14. Not sure how much the RA torch would cost to buy, but if you get yourself the Gerber one from the Arrse shop (with the twist-filter coloured end) it'll pay for itself over a year as the batteries hardly ever need changing. If you get one of the guuci lithium batteries in there it would probably last an entire tour - I shite you not !
  15. Percy_Pigeon

Percy_Pigeon War Hero Book Reviewer

kids i can't get away from bloody kids

goes with the job i suppose