This Man Must Be Stopped

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Big_Duke_Six, Nov 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Telegraph article on Rupert Murdoch: 'Don't let him get away with it'

Whatever you think of Tony Blair, his success is linked directly to Rupert Murdoch. Remember when The Sun transferred its support from the Tories to New Labour? Ever since that moment we have had to put up with the BLiar. As Richard Branson says: "All of us know governments are scared stiff of Murdoch. If The Sun, The Sunday Times, The Times, Sky, The News of the World, just to name a few of the things that Murdoch owns, all come out in favour of a particular political party, the election is likely to be won by that particular party." What he hasn't listed are the US interests of Murdoch, eg the Fox TV network, the extent of which dwarfs his reach to UK audiences.

Perhaps siding with Branson in this dispute is like siding with Apple against Microsoft, both are aiming for domination in their field, just one seems slightly less sinister than the other. In this case, a balance of power might not be a bad thing.

2. I howled with laughter when this story broke last week. I guessed that Richard's nose would be way out of joint, and so it has proved.

I agree with your sentiments; I don't like Murdoch and I don't like Branson, but I do enjoy watching petulant adults - at a distance!

I wonder which way the Government will jump? And I would love to be a fly on the walls of both the Labour & Conservative Party HQs!

Litotes

3. Watch out, Frogboy is bound to comment on this!

personally i think the man is an egomaniacal knob!

4. Does that mean that you support the not quite so sinister Branson in his bid to thwart the all grasping Ocker? If Murdoch does add ITV to his collection, I can't argue against Branson's point that Democracy will be dead.

In all fairness to the Virgin Wonderboy, not everything he does appears self centred. He was serious about keeping a Concorde (that "e" still grates) flying. His "pioneer" programmes, like the balloons, are probably publicity stunts but, at least, it arouses interest and promotes adventure.

5. daz

daz LE

Which one? Murdoch or frenchmong? 8O

6. I'm in favour of almost anything that puts a brake on the Murdoch rollercoaster, and have been ever since he bought out British Satellite Broadcasting to create BSkyB and monopolise satellite TV in the UK - remember that one?

Is Branson any better? I don't know. Murdoch is only stopping Branson from getting bigger, he's not actually going to get control of ITV as well. Does Branson need to get any bigger? If he did, would he be worse than Murdoch? Could he have made a better hash of the National Lottery than Camelot?

I'm still not sure whether his promise of "all profits from Virgin Travel to be re-invested in eco-friendly transport solutions" is purely a publicity stunt, a genuine attempt to do some good for the planet or (cleverly) an attempt to get ahead of the market in this area and get some good PR in at the same time.

There's no doubting that both are clever men. Perhaps my suspicion of the Dirty Digger has been fashioned by reading too much Private Eye over the decades and my opinion on the Branson/Murdoch situation influenced by the end of the Cold War, which has left me thinking that two superpowers are definitely better than one.

7. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Apposite factet.

Rupes first name is actually Keith.

8. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Not that there is any reason to worry about the rumours that Bliar has been offered a directorship of part of Murdoch's empire after he retires as Dear Leader.

9. Is Murdog an Aussie?

10. Not anymore he dumped his Aussie and took up US citizenship so he could purchase US media.

Not surprisingly it didn't go down well in the land down under, but what does he care. He also dumped his long standing wife for....surprise surprise a younger women.

He's not interested in a free press, just making money.

DoE

11. Sounds like a good one for a 007 plot (or has it already been done? I seem to remember a media mogul maniac with an Aussie accent).
    If Branson can demonstrate that the Murdoch press influences the agenda, he's got a point.
    The Fox News network is well recognised in the US as the low end. Haven't we figured that out yet?

12. Murdoch & Branston all in one artical.
    Raises the Comment Which one must be stopped.
    Brace of self seeking Barstewards, wouldn't be unhappy to see one in a Pickel and the other Pressed out.
    john
    At least we wouldn't have Lord Murdoch of Gobsh1te, but Lord Dick of F-All is possible.