This is Your Life: Hiroshima Survivor Meets Enola Gay Pilot

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by mac1, Mar 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On one side, judging when that was made, with prevalent cold war paranoia in the US, I can kind of understand it, but on the other, had I been on the receiving end of that bomb, meeting one of the guys that did it would have been the last thing on my mind.

2. Actually the Jap that survived Hiroshima and went to Nagasaki to recover would have been a better subject.

3. Thanks for that, although I found it so theatrical that I quit watching after about 2 mins in.

A much finer television effort was the Eamon Andrews episode of This Is Your Life that featured Kiyoshi Watanabe, a Japanese interpreter who smuggled vital medical supplies to the internees in Stanley Camp, Hong Kong, at great personal risk and for no gain for himself.

The gratitude of the ex-internees who came on as guests on the show was palpable. I don't think any recording of the programme exists in the public domain but there was a book written about him called 'Small Man of Nanataki'

The irony was that having helped to save the lives of internees including children, he returned to Hiroshima to find that his own wife and children had been killed in the atomic blast.

I read 'The Hiroshima Maidens' years ago and I thought that the idea of bringing the girls to the US was well intentioned and probably did some good but it seemed more of a conscience-salver for the American medical profession. The small number of girls (I recall there was about 20) selected for treatment seemed at odds compared with the vast number of girls disfigured in the blast. I didn't find it a comfortable read.

4. They had to be sacrificed to get the best song ever.

5. +1; Well, what got me posting this was reading "Hiroshima and Nagasaki" by Paul Ham which mentioned this programme; just thought I'd see whether it was on YouTube and surprisingly, it came up straight away - probably popular because of the same reason I looked it up