This is wrong...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bradstyley, Aug 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm very much a hang 'em & flog 'em type, but I don't think the police should be allowed to do this...

2. Yeah, wasting their time when they could be on diversity courses.
  3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I can't really get excited about it, lock the bloody car.
  4. That old one. You're obviously of the bluff old traditionalist school Ord. :)

Works though!
  5. So you think its right for the police to interfere when theres been no crime comitted? I'm all in favour of the police being more severe with real criminals, but harassing and wasting the general publics time like this is not on, its not a fcuking locker been left open in a block, its peoples private property in civvy life the state wants to intrude into...people should have to deal with the consequences of being stupid enough to leave their motor open, not have the old bill waste my tax money cleaning up after them...
  6. That's the point isn't it?

I wonder how much it costs in "my tax money," to open a criminal case file, send out a fingerprint wallah, take statements, and fill out paperwork ad nauseum when a crime is committed compared to a beat bobby making a driver more aware about crime prevention by taking these steps?
  7. ...I don't know, do you reckon they might have to fill out a fair bit of paperwork relating to this as well? Or do you reckon they stand up at the beginning of a shift and say 'help yourself to unlocked cars, no procedure to follow there lads?' Whaddaya reckon?
  8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Option 1. Open car, leave note, return items to police station, complete short report, hand items back to owner, end of issue. No loss of kit or damage to car, no cost to owner or insurance company, no increased premiums next year. Hopefully owner stops being such an idiot, and crime is prevented.

Option 2. Station receives call about break in. Officers attend, evidence gathered, files opened, evidence compared to database entries, officers provide case number for insurance claim, scrote captured (if lucky), court case, close file. Car owner claims off insurance, loses out on his excess amount, insurer pays remainder (including for damage to car) and increases the premium for that driver for the next 2 or 3 years.
  9. Erm......I see the error in your post there.
  10. If they remove property then yes, I reckon they do have to fill out a fair bit of paper work, but they are only taking property from a small percentage of the vehicles that are left unlocked.

Now, I don't pretend to know what paperwork is involved, but even if they do remove property then it stands to reason that a simple "come and get your laptop form the station you tit," note plus, I imagine, a form stating that the property has been signed back to the owner in good order is much less hassle than opening up a new case etc.

I know a police officer who frequently reminds someone on his beat to stop leaving his keys in his van. (admitedly it's a leafy village beat and not Brum city centre) I conceed that they guy who does it is a buerk and being burgled would probably hammer the message home, but It takes my neighbour five minutes and is much easier for him to do than to deal with a robbery.
  11. Absolutely - I though the whole point of the police was to prevent crime where possible rather than solve cases. Hence we all like uniformed patrols,school visits, stop and search etc.

Similarly, I know offrs/SNCOs who used to lift unattended/unlocked things (even rifles) to prove a point. Hopefully, it'll stop joe public being such a numpty or victim at minimum cost and personal inconvenience. Isn't that model policing?
  12. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I'd be more f***ed off if I knew a copper had clocked my unlocked car with my laptop left on the seat, said nothing and let some smackhead lift it fifteen minutes later.

as others have said, no harm done and it teaches you a lesson.

or do you think it's infringing upon the theive's human rights to remove their livelihood?? :roll:
  13. I thought it was an offence to interfere with a vehicle - that's how you can be nicked for just trying the door handle.
  14. How dare the Police interfere and potentially prevent a crime! Next you'll be getting outraged over the Fire Brigade (sorry Fire and Rescue service) educating people on fire safety and installing smoke alarms after all they should just turn up to put fires out, not prevent them...

How much anger would you feel if the Police had noticed an unlocked car with (for example) a laptop on show, they'd not bothered to do anything about it and it was stolen? I can see your "Sun" style thread now 'Lazy law enforcer allows larceny shocker'
  15. This is a common sense thing. Some will get it, and the numpties wont. Prevention is everything and if it helps reduce a 40% increase in car crime, then it's a good thing.