This is what I call a capability!

No need. Our mighty Type 45 destroyer fleet (current strength: 1) will deal with any ballistic nasties thrown our way by damned Diego foreign Johnnies like Comrade Kim.

There's apparently an extended range missile in the pipeline (ASTER 45?) that will give T45 similar capabilities to the American Aegis ABM ships. It'll be able to shoot down incoming missiles while they're still in space.

T45 is fitted 'for but not with' this miracle weapon, just like the Phalanx guns, and the torpedoes, and the Harpoon missiles, and the Merlin helicopter, and Sea Skua missiles, and the depth charges.

T

trowel

Just had a great idea. We are surrounded by water, so why don't we learn how to build ships. Nah, wouldn't work. All those clever people around the world who build them wouldn't let us in on the know how.

bobthedog said:
Lets hope that if it detects anything that the local commanders will listen to the operators of the radar site this time:)
Surely this thing would be able to tell the difference between a flight of B17s and a nuke...

aaaaah, forget it.

We don't need the detection facility (we already have a direct feed from Fylingdales), we could do with a mobile system to act as back-up though. It makes sense for that to be naval though. What we need are ground based interceptors. Easiest way is to buy a stack of SM3s from the spams.

er flyingdales anyone?

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Nice bit of psychological warfare even if the thing is a big laboon. Float a BFO radome out into the sea so everyone can see it go...

We may well end up building something just like that on an old oil platform if they don't solve the problem of offshore wind turbines restricting the quality of data we get from air defence radars.

I have seen images similar to those before, so have the spams sent others out to sea previously to form a network ?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
What I want to know is WTF did they use to pick it up and stick it on that boat? More's the point, HTF are they going to get it off again?

Biped said:
What I want to know is WTF did they use to pick it up and stick it on that boat? More's the point, HTF are they going to get it off again?
the boat semi submerges, big fcuk off thing floats over the top of it, boat lifts up. (being home all day and watching Discovery channel has it's advantages)
offloading is reverse (see haynes manual) :D

bigusdogus said:
Biped said:
the boat semi submerges, big fcuk off thing floats over the top of it, boat lifts up. (being home all day and watching Discovery channel has it's advantages)
offloading is reverse (see haynes manual) :D

Ah! If only I had Sky. :D :D

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
That picture of the X-band radar arriving on the back of the Blue Marlin in Hawaii was taken on Jan 9th 2006. Looks like a bit of 'spin' going on in the press.

Here's a good one of a pile-up. Wot I 'eard was that the USS Cole was just blamming along, not paying much attention, when they got hit in a sail-by, before losing control and ramming the MV Blue Marlin - hence she's parked up on her deck.

That's what I heard anyway. :roll:

Edited to add:

She sure is a BIG carrying ship!

They brought HMS Endurance back to the UK on one of those semi-sub ships the other week the MV Target I think

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Indeed:

Biped said:
That picture of the X-band radar arriving on the back of the Blue Marlin in Hawaii was taken on Jan 9th 2006. Looks like a bit of 'spin' going on in the press.
Ah, so it is the old photo that I had seen before. What can the Mail be doing ? Trying to shame the government to do something similar here ?