This is the end of UK law.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by old_bloke, Jan 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Adil Rashid, 18, claimed he was not aware that it was illegal for him to have sex with the girl because his education left him ignorant of British law.

Well that's ok then. Even if...

‘It was made clear to you at the school you attended that having sexual relations with a woman before marriage was contrary to the precepts of Islam,

Cop out and welcome to UK under Islamic law.

Just the start.

Read more: Adil Rashid: Paedophile claimed his Muslim upbringing meant 'he didn't know it was illegal to have sex with a girl of 13' | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Read more: Adil Rashid: Paedophile claimed his Muslim upbringing meant 'he didn't know it was illegal to have sex with a girl of 13' | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  2. Expect an appeal and a finding that the sentence was unduly lenient. This sort of sentencing is pretty headline-grabbing but they get overturned every day.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Fast on the draw but the judge must be mad not to hammer him for the full stretch.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Isn't there a law/rule in the UK which states that every resident/citizen ought to know the law?
  5. Er...there is no such thing as UK law. English Law or Scots Law but no UK law.
  6. The judge definitely erred in law and I expect the Court of Appeal to call him thick (but in their usual legal terminology) like they often do in cases like this. Cherie Booth has been on the receiving end of a number of amusing rebukes from Judges sitting in higher courts which wouldn't look out of place in a NAAFI Bar thread.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

I think they should revert to the older forms of law for people like dear old Cherie.

Bring back the ducking stool for scolds - hugely popular I would imagine.

And it would contribute nicely to our budget deficit. I'd pay handsomely for a front row seat...

8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Funny I thought it was statutory rape. Must only apply to kuffirs I guess.
    • Like Like x 5
  9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

the fact that he claims he was taught that wimmin are less to god than a lollypop might upset a few people
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ignorantia legis neminem excusat

ignorance of the law excuses no one
    • Like Like x 13

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

No but there's an equally effective principle which declares that ignorance of the law is no defence.

Where mitigation is concerned, 'I'm a muslim of immigrant stock' is usually a reliable standby - particularly if you get pissed and assault people. White Christians have had some success with 'I'm in the SAS'.
    • Like Like x 4
  12. End of what? The odd questionable judicial decision and you're off on one? You really need to calm down mate.
  13. That's what I meant, but didn't know the fancy latin. :)
  14. So what happened to the phrase, oft quoted;

'Ignorance of the law is no defence.'?

Did that ever apply? Or is that just an urban myth?

I notice the 'shy', 'very immature', 'passive' and lacking assertiveness' was switched on enough not to go home saying;

'Hi ma, just going to **** this 13 year old, who like yourself, is less than a lollipop dropped on the ground.'

But booked a hotel room for a sex session, complete with condoms. Also savvy enough to play the Islam card, which is fast overtaking the race card as the defence of choice. He should have been given the same sentence as any other 18 year old man who screws an underage girl.

I await the peaceable majority of moslems, we hear so much about, to protest that this sort of action does nothing to further good relations between the religion of peace and the rest of the world. Unless of course he was trying to emulate the prophet.
    • Like Like x 8
  15. I think that old Cherie ought to go on Celebrity Wifer Swap and go and live with Mel Gibson in LA. Given his propensity for drink-fuelled, foul-mouthed misogynistic and racsist rants, I'm sure that they would get on like the proverbial house on fire. I suppose that they always got their Catholicism in common...
    • Like Like x 1