This is sad

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fairy_nuff, Jan 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Darwinism in action surely?
  2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

How the hell do you work that one out?
  3. Survival of the fittest? Something tells me the come postmortem exmination will find he had an underlying condition and would've expired regardless of what he was doing.
  4. But also tragic for the poor chaps' family.
  5. tragic

6. Heart rate monitored
  7. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Fair enough. I read it as you having a pop about his lack of preparedness.

You're probably right; the bleep test isn't exactly arduous to anyone with a reasonable level of fitness so heart problems or similar must be a possibility.
  8. The human body will stop before it damages itself i.e. you'll colapse breathing through your ******** before you damage your heart etc. So to fall down dead from exercise whilst not impossible is unlikely with someone who doesn't have an underlying condition.
  9. I have known seemingly fit people drop dead in their tracks in their 20`s. Best it happens to this bloke in uk before he is in a situation where other people are relying on him.
  10. Tragic but not unheard of. What a shock to the mans family really do feel bad for them
  11. I wouldn't say it is a rigorous fitness test as quoted by the Mirror; the primary school over the round from my work carry out the tests on the kids about once a month.

Still sad news
  12. Weird thing, to get to 27 and be fit and healthy only to expire on what isn't the most exacting of tests. Only the breifing too, so nothing beforehand to put a strain on his heart.
  13. Unless he had a cold/flu recently.

There have been any number of cases of profesional sports people keeling over dead on the pitch and it seems that having had a cold recently MIGHT have some bearing.

Heart failure and the professional sportsman - Destination Santé