This is one of my favorite War movie endings.

[video=youtube;GHMuMTZFASQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHMuMTZFASQ[/video]

ice cold in alex! all the time

ice cold in alex! all the time
Yep, takes some beating. I also like the end of Hamburger Hill. I like the way that there's no celebration or speeches, just some lads looking back the way they came.

Cross of Iron.

Yep, takes some beating. I also like the end of Hamburger Hill. I like the way that there's no celebration or speeches, just some lads looking back the way they came.
Agreed. Not long before the end, there is the bit where they are fighting forward up the hill to inspiring music, only to be cut down by their own heli's.

I also like the odd angry shot where the two of them end up having a beer at a bar (in Sydney?) which has been completely untouched by the war. For some reason that always seems to sum up 90% of the worlds conflicts.

C

cloudbuster

How about, if only from the POV of the greatest Hollybollockswood-deviation-from-the-real-event, the final assault scenes from We Were Soldiers?

It's not a film but I think the ending of Blackadder Goes Forth captures the total futility of WW1 better than most although Gallipoli comes close despite the travesty of history.

[video=youtube;7eeijbtbnjQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eeijbtbnjQ[/video]

'The Fighting Sullivans' a film based on the naval expolits of 5 (?) American brothers who were all killed in WW2. Based on a true story and which changed the rules regarding how many family members could serve their country in a particular situation.
I defy anyone to sit through the last 10 minutes of this movie.

I remember watching one of those "100 Greatest blah blah blah" progs a while ago which had then end to "Ice Cold in Alex" on it. John Mills was a very frail old gent in the interview but he went on to say that the beer poured is real Heineken and that it took quite a few shots to get right (something to do with the pull of the pint and the amount of condensation that forms on the outside of the glass). Anyway, by the time they nailed it he was 3 sheets to the wind! Great stuff.

I agree about the end of Blackadder too. I think I must have been a teenage boy when I saw it and it was a big lump in the throat and tear in the corner of the eye moment. Funnily enough on the recent doc about the series I felt the same. The futility and the sacrifice captured perfectly in a comedy. TV gold and probably why the series is held in such high esteem.

i remember watching one of those "100 greatest blah blah blah" progs a while ago which had then end to "ice cold in alex" on it. John mills was a very frail old gent in the interview but he went on to say that the beer poured is real heineken and that it took quite a few shots to get right (something to do with the pull of the pint and the amount of condensation that forms on the outside of the glass). Anyway, by the time they nailed it he was 3 sheets to the wind! Great stuff.

I agree about the end of blackadder too. I think i must have been a teenage boy when i saw it and it was a big lump in the throat and tear in the corner of the eye moment. Funnily enough on the recent doc about the series i felt the same. The futility and the sacrifice captured perfectly in a comedy. Tv gold and probably why the series is held in such high esteem.
carlsberg .