This is not the Airbridge you are looking for

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by barbs, Mar 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Packing them in like rats takes on a whole new meaning.

2. Just another job imposed on the forces by HMG.

3. "Oi, Gents, 'scuse species. Beagle, Rat, Rabbit..."

• Like Like x 4
  4. Listening to the Today prog. this morning, it seemed to have a sinister undertone. People had written to companies expressing opposition and moral outrage at vivisection; comapnies had declined to engage in the trade any longer. This apparently was 'intimidation' and as one chap put it, 'threatening letters although no actual threats were made' (wtf?).

The suggestion seemed to be that writing letters to companies expressing opposition to some of their commercial activities was a form of 'domestic terrorism' (Huntingdon Life Sciences case from a decade or more ago was invoked). Stand by for lots of letter-writing old ladies and anti-cruelty campaigners being raided.

The alternative to the idea that this was intimidation, that companies themselves were equally repelled by vivisection and agreed with the campaigners, was not put forward by anyone.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Don't get too precious about what we should and shouldn't do. We're a resource paid for by the taxpayer which is there to do the bidding of HMG - as voted in by the taxpayer - in whatever way HMG thinks is in the national interest. HMG clearly thinks that importing animals for research is in the national interest.

It's definitely a function of HMG's military advisers to warn them if the tasks they are setting may interfere with the primary functions of the Armed Forces or other tasks already set but it's still up to the HMG to decide what it's and therefore our priorities are.

6. Is it legal to make animals go through the RAF's transport system? Forcing them to smoke 12,000 fags a week and smearing lipstick in their eyes is one thing, inflicting the RAF on them's not right though.

• Like Like x 6

7. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. ?, and heres me thinking the Armed Forces was for the Defence of The Realm, faugh! just shows how wrong one can be

9. Yeah, but if activists can close the UK pharmaceutical industry to the extent that military aid become necessary, i suspect the swampies will find that the backlash from UK authorities out does anything that they have had to winge about until now.

Old figures, but you get the point;

The pharmaceutical industry is the biggest sector investor in R&D in the UK accounting for around 25% of total investment by business, valued at £3.3bn, about £9m a day in 2005

[ARCHIVED CONTENT] Pharmaceutical | Policies | BIS

Don't forget a lot of relevant legislation specifies such things as "involves the use of violence, results in substantial financial gain or is conduct by a large number of persons in pursuit of a common purpose" (intelligence services act 1994),

Don't forget the civillian intelligence agencies are are charged with;
    (a)in the interests of national security, with particular reference to the defence and foreign policies of Her Majesty’s Government in the United Kingdom; or
    (b)in the interests of the economic well-being of the United Kingdom; or
    (c)in support of the prevention or detection of serious crime.

There's stacks of aggravated trespass, harrassment legislation and so forth. So the peelers will be busy too.

We're broke and if this industry is threatened then I think lots of people are going to get nicked.

Whether that is right or wrong is another matter. Let the courts work that one out.

10. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You're taking a very narrow 'kinetic' view of the defence of the realm. HMG has judged (and I agree with them) that the national interests are threatened by not being able to import animals for research. To defend ourselves from that threat is part of the defence of the realm.

11. Could we not get a similar effect by declaring the season open on crusties, swampies and their ilk? It would save wear & tear on the airframes, the cost of hotels for the aircrew and fuel, and I'd imagine it might even raise money as we could sell licences to hunt the soap dodgers.

If you're reading, Mr Ospborne, drop me a PM I think this could be a go-er...

12. 1) There is a shortage of expendable laboratory animals.
    2) There are over 900k 'NEET' yoof not doing anything.
    3) There are about 90k criminals in the system.

So-That's about 1000,000 lab rats that we are already paying for.

And the good part is that many of them smoke already!

• Like Like x 1
  13. I say let the RAF carry the animals and HMG can charge the companies for the transport costs therefore make some money out of the situation... then maybe no more defence cuts!!!

14. I like the cut of your jib Hector. Unfortunately, I believe that these are no ordinary rats. They are genetic super beasts with multiple heads destined for a life of shampoo and blow dry at the Boots hair products testing facility. Or multiple arrses and destined for the Preparation H factory. No chav is their equal.

Suggesting that the RAF should do this is ridiculous. How many air cargo companies fly in to the UK each day? Put the contract out to tender. Better still, get Aeroflot to do it. At the first hint of trouble, Swampy and his mates will all come down with polonium poisoning.