This is just about taking its toll on me.

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by BennnY, Nov 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Started to lose weight and train for the army, (still undecided over which job option, either AAC or REME) Anyway.

I lost about half a stone in 12 or so days, I'm now finding it VERY hard to lose anymore. I noticed the difference almost immediately when I 1st started but now I fear I'm putting weight back on. Its really getting to me.

The forces are what I want to do, so I think i'll withdraw my subscription and get down the fooking gym!

I need to know what to build up, obviously I can run etc. But my upper body strength is weak. I don't know why, I have big chest muscles, back muscles and bi's and tri's but I cannot do a pull up for the life of me!!?

What do I need to work to peak these to perfection?

What I want to achieve is an athletically toned physique, no six pack bollocks, just to be comfortable.

I usually, well, I want to. Start out with 9 minute runs and calulate the distance to keep my stamina, speed and determination up, but what else can I do to get the right muscles working.

Can anyone give me a rough idea what I should be working, and what I should be eating to lose this weight and 'get fit'.

2. See a doctor! That much weight that fast = bad move.

If you're going REME you'll need the weight to fit in anyway!
  3. PMSL..

I didn't do anything to lose the weight, it was just changing the diet, I don't feel hungry but I swear my body has got used to it and is taking the piss lol..

Any other advice?
  4. Bloody hell women would kill for that diet! What did you eat? Cotton wool?
  5. I'm assuming you're still in your teens BennnY.

All training should be progressive, don't try and do too much too quickly, you'll just end up injuring yourself.

Don't try and lose weight too quickly either - it's not healthy. If you haven't done much training before, you'll probably find that you start to need more calories as your metabolism picks up. Focus on your fitness, not your weight. In any event muscle is heavier than fat, so you should end up putting on weight.

You may be able to improve the quality of what you're eating. Complex carbohydrates, protein etc. are good; saturated fats generally bad. More pasta, fewer pies! Make sure that you drink plenty of water too.

If you're joing a gym, ask one of the instructors there to put together a programme for you. They're the professionals, listen to them.

Best of luck,
  6. Mate he said he might join REME.
  7. Cheers.

Field, no, I've cut out all of the shit in my diet, only eating proper food (ish!) I think the fact I was a fat **** helped the dieting process.

PassingBells: Yes, I'm 19. I have a plan one of my friends did for me, but my shitty wage means I cannot actually join the gym until friday. Do you know how annoying that is? Grr..

The weight has to come off, simply because my BMI is above what is acceptable. Its hard work when you're big built and 6ft 2, not sure how they work it out. Anyway.

The thing thats getting me down is the fact I cannot lift my own bodyweight. One thing I do not want to fail on during the recruit selection process is not being able to pull my arse up and over something, or even fail before that stage!
  8. Nothing like running for keeping the weight down!

Get yourself a decent pair of running shoes and try and go out for a hour or so at a steady pace. To start with, just try and keep the heart pumping. You can work on speed later. Aim to always be slightly out of breath.

Try and do this 2-3 times a week. Mix it up with the training your mate gave you. Make sure that you take a day off every 7-10 days though, you've got to give the body time to recover.

9. Sounds daft but the way to learn to do pull-ups is by doing them. Doesn't need a gymn to do this. Get a mate who can do them to spot you (be right there alongside you to instruct, supervise and - initially - help you up to chin onto bar) All upper body exercises are good - rope climbing was something I found very satisfying and less radical to learn from scratch.
  10. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Power to weight ratio. Sometimes bigger is not better, not that I have done any exercise recently but the more of your 'normal' mass you can turn to muscle the better, then lose the mass via diet and sweat(sweatsuit i.e. plastic type jogging suit). If you have a regime of making the muscle strong but 'slight', you'll be doing pullups, pressups, one arm press ups, jumping press ups with a clap while airborne till the cows come home ;) Ahh to be in my 20s again ;)
  11. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

12. Never thought of a sweatsuit.. could/will be a good idea to buy one at the weekend.

Cheers :D
  13. 1. Spend that gym membership money on decent nutritional food a good pair of training shoes and an energy supplement, High 5 is very useful, isostar etc.

2. Get yourself a regular training routine and write down/log your progress.

3. Muscle is usually heavier than fat so there may be a point when your weight levels out. At this point you need to work harder.

4. Good luck.
  14. I'm 6ft 2 and used to be a chubber.

You lost a lot of weight quickly as you were probably loosing fluid. If you're immense you will loose weight very quickly to start with. But the less weight you have to loose to start with the slower it will be. Also, bear in mind if you are going to be training a lot you will build up some muscle which will weigh more than the fat.

Start running but don't rag yourself, you'll hurt yourself I promise. Take it lightly and build up, be patient, before you know it you'll be dropping more weight as you burn the fat and finding you can run further and faster. Trust me. But its not an overnight thing. You must be patient. If you're feeling totally ragged take a few days off, you'll find you can go further and faster after a short rest.

Also, f(ck off all that shake stuff etc. Just eat healthy food and plenty of it and work hard at running without becoming paralysed.

And as others have said, a decent pair of trainers. They are an investment your ankles and knees will love you for.

Its really very simple. But key is finding the right balance. You need an exercise and eating regime that you can stick to for 15 years. It needs to be realistic. I go running about 3-4 times a week after work. Sometimes I'd like to do more but I know I just don't have the time overall. Get into a realistic rountine.
  15. As all have said, good trainers are vital. Find a good running shop and get advice. So many soldiers get trashed because of this.

Dont waste money with gym mate, its free when you get in. Press ups, sit ups, pull ups (if you want) and running is all you need. Basic Training is basic, the dont want Clark Kent and you'll hurt yourself. Use a low pull up bar and start doing them inclined at 45 degrees with your feet on the floor, that'll start to build up the muscles. Does that make sense?