This is getting silly now.

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BrunoNoMedals, May 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Steam have just dropped another seven copies of Dota 2 in my inventory. I'd just started shifting the last batch they threw at me and now I'm back at 14.

If anyone wants a freebie, just shout. I can't shift them fast enough.
  2. I got 3 coupons for 75% off Shogun 2: Total War in mine yesterday.

Like Bruno, I'm happy to pass them on to any steam user ID PM'd or posted here.
  3. I fell for this as well, one of my mates gifted me Dota2, and before i knew it i had a dozen copies, have now got an email saying they are giving me more.... Dota2 is the equivalent of the Tribbles from Star Trek
    • Like Like x 1
  4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

what is dota 2?
  5. Dawn Of The Ages 2.... Do you want a copy?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

cant find the page on steam...linky please?
  7. BrunoNoMedals

Defence of the Ancients!

Link in the OP.
  8. I was close :)
  9. Similarly if any one wants to massacre a shite-load of feudal Japs for not much cash, I have a 75% off thingumy for Shogun 2 as well.
  10. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

ah, cheers. thanks, but not my bag.
  11. BrunoNoMedals

If DII would actually work properly with ARRSE I'd edit the title of this thread to at least include the phrase "DOTA 2" and make it more sensible. But I can't.

Anyway, I'm bringing this up again because in the last few days I've forced myself into making the effort to understand and maybe enjoy this game. I have to admit I'm struggling, but I intend to persevere a bit longer.

Does anyone else actually play it regularly, or at least fancy giving it a go? The best advice I've been given is to pick a handful of characters and just get used to them, rather than trying to work all 150+ out. I'm really struggling with the lack of good guidance, as there are so many intricacies to the game it's impossible to do even vaguely well without full knowledge of its mechanics. Even practicing against bots is an eye-opener when the difficulty hits Hard. I got my arse handed to me three times on the trot last night.

Basically I'm hoping there are other people in the same boat, as I'm only likely to carry this on if I'm not doing it on my own and I do think it has potential.

So, any takers?
  12. What is it - im struggling to find a decent game at the moment but I cant be arsed with anything more than pushing a mouse.
  13. BrunoNoMedals

Well it's definitely only a point-and-click game so it fits your bill. I'm finding it a bit of an intellectual/tactical challenge, though, so if your aversion to exertion extends to the mental as well as the physical you might not be too keen.

It's basically a 5v5 strategy game. 5 player-controlled characters on each team, supported by regular spawns of AI bots. The bots run directly at the opposition down three lanes. Each lane is defended by fixed turrets. You have to support your team and bots so you can get into the enemy base and destroy their key structure (their "Ancient", hence, "Defence of the Ancients").

Simple in theory, absolute bastard in practice. The players have LOADS of characters to choose from, each with varying skills and abilities that give them all fairly unique play-styles. You need to balance the range of skills across your five team members, then exploit them almost perfectly so you don't get bummed by the opposition. You build up experience and gold by killing bots and enemies, with more experience and money opening new skills and increasing power. Some characters are piss-weak to start but awesome later, meaning you have to hurry up and advance so the enemy don't overtake you and render you useless later in the game. Other characters start stronger and stay fairly level, but these guys can't be tempted to kill all the bots as they suck potential experience away from those who need to level up... it all gets very complicated and I reckon I still only understand 5% of it.

It's one of those that probably gets more interesting the more you get into it, but the learning curve is so steep it could put a lot of people off. This is why I want to get over the hump, as it were, because I feel like I'm missing out on a fairly popular game. It's also got a big professional following and I wouldn't mind winning some cash down the line ;)
  14. I played for about an hour or so when i was first gifted the game, I found that it basically consisted of choosing a character, wandering forward to the battle area, maybe getting a couple of hits in before dying, respawning, wandering forward, maybe getting a couple of hits in before dying, respawning.... rinse and repeat. I found that i was getting killed by people with characters 15-20 lvls above me, and killed by one or two hits, which made it very hard to advance in level and my frustration in the game rose to the point where my computer was lucky it didnt end up thrown through the window. Haven't picked it up since.
  15. The very best relatively slow paced mouse-centric RTS I have ever played (aside from Total War titles) is Wargame:European Escalation.

The sequel, Wargame: Airland Battle is out in a few days. I've been playing the beta every free night for the last month or so and it is amazing. I definately recommend it and would be prepared to stick my neck out and say it is a must buy if you like the RTS style of gaming.

The dynamic single/multi player campaign which has yet to be released looks, from the screen shots anyway, pretty awesome I have to say.

All my online gaming buddies who have been playing the beta are thoroughly addicted, as am I.

It is currently available on Steam.