This is england 88

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Bollock-chops, Dec 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was impressed with the film. loved the comeback series 86, thoroughly enjoyed 88, its very dark, the music is terrific, I cant be the only arrser to have watched it?
  2. very true to life in the 80s, terrific,,,,
  3. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

I gave it a miss because I wasn't that impressed with '86 Series. Apart from the dodgy hairstyles, a couple of references to the Mexico World Cup, and the odd tune - it would have been more appropriately titled "This is a handful of people we've thrown together to act out a grim story with no real purpose".

Oh, and lets add a rape scene too for the 'critical acclaim' nuts to discuss when it comes to dishing out drama awards.
  4. nice hammer action tho
  5. Typical conservative, you ask a question, and they will answer why they dont want to answer the question, *****.
  6. my dad had a granada ghia just like mick.
  7. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Hmm... the only question you asked was rhetorical at best. Allow me:

Question: "I cant be the only arrser to have watched it?"

Answer: "I gave it a miss because I wasn't that impressed with '86 Series."

I think you need to step away from the Toilet Duck.
  8. Enjoyed it,who wouldnt want a promotion like Woody to get a Scorpio:)Still not laugh a minute stuff though:)
  9. Watched then all '82, '86 and '88. Good serieses.
    Maybe its me, just a bit to ****, but Shane Meadows had his continuity with music and styles way off .
    Apart from the Falklands bit, '82 music and fashion was more 1980. '86 was more like 1884 with the "casuals" fashion, Taschini t'shirts etc and mullet hair dos. And '88 was more like 1986, fashion, cars etc.

But then I was in Dover/Camberley/Germany for most of the '80s so what did I/they know about fashion anyway?
  10. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Great music by Ludovico Einaudi and that's about all I can say for it.

Usual Shane Meadows, 'it's grim up North, life in Britain is shit' stuff.

It's like he just thinks of a few random characters, dresses them in shit 80's clothes to make it visually more interesting and throws them into the most depressing scenario he can come up with and waits for the BAFTAs to start rolling in.

Whoopee doo.
  11. Watched it. It's not exactly full of characters you can become fond of. The warning before the third episode was deserved. On the whole I liked it.
    The BBC would have bolloxed it up as they did Young James Herriot. Does everything they put out have to have an anti right wing storyline. Totally ruined it. Load of crap spoiling a good mini series.
  12. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Shane Meadows next film:

'It's grim ooop North.'

Dave Smith is a scaffolder from Barnsley, he has a wife (played by a rugged looking Northern bird who is definitely up for a BAFTA) and two kids, one of whom is severely disabled. They live in a high rise council block and Dave is an alcoholic. Dave beats his wife frequently and is ******* a younger, marginally prettier girl from the estate. Eventually Dave's wife kills herself and the kids are taken away by the social. Dave then drinks himself into a stupor alone on Christmas Eve and the credits role. The film is set in the 1970's and is played out to the soundtrack of haunting piano music.

Meadows' new film has received critical acclaim for the inventive use of the words '****', '****' and 'nigger' which feature prominently especially during the film's 28 argument/fight sequences. The film is especially good because it has a genuine beige Austin Allegro in it and some of the characters have flares and mullets. Some popular 70's music is also heard in the background of one of the pub scenes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. This was probably my favourite bit of all the series.
    Had a bit of a thing about "Reenees" (skinhead girls). Ah, the memories of early teens.

14. I,d have to agree with that. I remember harrington jackets and doc martens being worn by those who were into that sort of thing in the early to mid eighties but disappeared from most discerning wardrobes by 88, But then i suppose Meadows was portraying a fringe group.