This is England 86

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by TheBigUn, Sep 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did anybody else watch the first part of this series yesterday evening?

I was having a mooch around the Ch4 website reading up about it and found the explore the 80's bit interesting. You can select the featured film, TV or music highlights from 1983,1984,1985 or 1986.

The Thomas Cook TV advert featured 2 weeks in Minorca for £170! How times have changed.

LINK.............

Oh and part one of the series was quite good too. :-D

2. I watched it last night after watching the flim on Film4 the night before, TBH, I thought the series was a tad slow, not much happening, no real 80's soundtrack and WTF was happening with the timeline, FS1E gangs in 86???

3. Yeah that's the thing I instantly noticed about the film - obvious anachronisms and things missing . For a film set in July 1983 we wouldn't be hearing Since Yesterday by Strawberry Switchblade and Blue Monday by New Order would never be off the radio

4. I forgot all about the fizzy bikes, a few of the older lads on my estate had them, apart from one who had a puch maxi.

Not a bad programme, but Shane Meadows memories of the mid 80's obviously differ a bit to mine!

5. And mine - I didn't see one single person pinned down and a stick, liberally smeared with quality Pedigree Chum induced dog poo, forced into their mouths.

6. How common, my favourite trick was to dab a football in a fresh dog turd then shout to your mate to header it and throw it to him.

7. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Did we see any white dog poo on the streets? Or had white dog poo disappeared by then? I had been overseas some ten years by then. Actually come to think of it I was back in the UK by 86. Nurse! Medication!

8. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

I watched it and noticed the obvious missing soundtrack. But beyond that, this programme seems to be missing something else and can't quite put my finger on it.

Overall, not bad - although it does seem strikingly similar to Shameless in a lot of ways (only 20 years earlier). Looking forward to next week though, and that kid with the basin-cut looks like he's in for a bit of a mauling from the registry office woman with the large babylons...

9. I agree that it was very slow in parts but hopefully this was only due to the re-introduction of the characters and not that this is just another show jumping on the 80s bandwagon.

10. TheresaMay

Well there's four hours of my life I'll never get back. "A gripping finale" Channel 4 described it - yeah sure. Basically it was 15 minutes of bearded man attempting to boff his own daughter, who somehow overpowered him enough to smash his skull with a hammer. Tommy from Snatch makes a cameo just in time to take the wrap, with no explanation of how he's involved - and wtf did his mum dying have to do with anything? The rest of it? ...a mish-mash of half-stories, rallying everyone up for a wedding that Lol knows nothing about (and never will), and a few 'highlights' from the 86 World Cup quarter-final (and we all know how that went - especially the Jocks).

If that didn't leave you scrathing your head enough, then there's always the Dad's Dead scene, where instead of any kind of mourning, funeral etc - they decide to have a good old game of hunt the c*nt / fish / blackjack.

Splendid. Maybe Shane Meadows should sack writing 'British Dramas' and send his CV to Quentin Tarantino instead - as I feel the equally unhinged weirdo just may have a few jobs lined up for him.

11. good show
    a good ending
    the best 4 hours of my televisual life

more,,,,,,,,,,,
    mr meadows
    more,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

12. Nice to see Shane Meadows continues using his "badly shaped beret" props, first seen in "Dead mans Shoes" and now again seen on the two fat fusiliers who knocked on the door in episode 3 to give flowers to Shauns mum, because it was his dead dads birthday! Get a grip Meadows, it was 1986 for gods sake - Run DMC's "walk this way" should of featured on the soundtrack!

13. Perhaps if you were about to get raped off some dirty bastard your meant to call dad, who has not only raped you your whole life, but has just gone and raped your best mate, you would have enough anger to overpower the twat and smack him with a hammer??

As the film was, the series was deep and touching, yet still humourous in parts..
    .. a shame it was only 3 parts long.

14. TheresaMay

I think you are missing the point (as well as some much needed spelling and punctuation). There were a whole load of other 'half-stories' going on that neither had much connection, explanation or any kind of plot. In short, it just seemed like Meadows had written this gruesome rape scene purely for effect and as an afterthought, added a load of no-marks with Northen accents to give it the 'Shameless effect'.

Freudian slip?

I think you'll find it was four.

15. Or the timeless classic, squelching your pumps in a pile of teddy bears arms then asking the token speccy **** to give you a hand administered gee up the nearest park wall..