This country is populated by self interested cowards - discuss

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by EX_STAB, Sep 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As per the above statement - over to you - please relate your experiences of discussing this subject with the general population
  2. I would lump most politicians/actors/footballers/bankers in that category - though there's an entire army full of young people who place themselves in harms way for a pittance who are an exception to your statement.
  3. Well you're right about self interest, but I'd dispute that necessarialy being a bad thing.

A truly unselfish act is a very, very, rare thing.

You join the army/work for a charity/become a nun/make a personal sacrifice for your childre fundamentally because you want to.

United self-interest, especially of the economic kind, is what makes society work.
  4. The country is lead by self interested cowards.

A morally bankrupt government sets the beat of the drum to which the majority march.

That's how I see it. An absence of sound leadership creates a society of morally corrupt individuals.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I gave blood again this week. There's nothing at all in this for me, purely unselfish motives. I wasn't alone there either...
    • Like Like x 2
  6. A tramp has been doing my recycling for the last month. He arrives in a ladies sun hat and sorts my bins for collection every second wednesday. I've never asked him to do it and I am damned if I know why he does it because it's not as though he's even taking any of it for himself. But long may it continue :)
  7. Good on you for doing it, but you did it to satisfy your desire to do the right thing and you have doubtless enjoyed the bief afterglow of having done so.

As I said above, self-interest is not usually a bad thing, and giving blood is exactly the sort of united self interest that produces a decent society.

Edited to add: Sorry, that comes across as a bit high handed and adamant, it's only my opinion, but when you drill down into why people do stuff self-interest is almost invariably at the centre of it.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. If you put your mind to it, you can come up with a 'self-interest' explanation for dashing into a burning building to save a kiddie or any other human activity. There are still a great many activities humans undertake that are not just unproductive in personal terms but positivcely counter-productive to their own pursuit of success. I personally don't believe that there's any practical difference between 'self-interest-abstracted-to-the-nth-degree' and genuine altruism.

Having said that, I do feel that reflexive consideration for or of others is on the decrease and I'd put that down to the loosening of social relations are we replace stable communities with transient, depersonalised ones. People are less willing to put down roots and take an interest if they know they're going to have to 'get on their bike' at any moment.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. H3

H3 LE

I just take what I want when I want and to be frank I couldn't give a toss who I tread on and who I leave behind as a gibbering wreck ........ That's not me but those folk grip my shit :0)
  10. Thats because you throw loads of ace stuff out!
    I know because yours is not the only house I "empty the bins" on......
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Carrots, there are a lot of people who will say that there is no such thing as an unselfish act, but I would never go that far, mainly because I feel it starts to disparage acts of bravery on the battlfield which are, I believe, genuinely selfless and anyway I regard that subject as holy ground and beyond comment.

There are certainly lots of Jack fuckers out there, it's just that we're all probably a bit more Jack than we realise or like to think - but I stress that in moderation it is not a bad thing.
  12. Why's it always about you and your country?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Look mate, this is clearly between you and some other twat, stand up and get a grip.
  14. Oh I did, it just made me realise the extent to which those who profess that they don't like things the way they are actually do fuck all about it except recite the headlines from Das Mail.
  15. I'd disagree but someone might hit me.