This can't be right......

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Dec 6, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fcuk, if the Brit Government and the MOD can't even get this right (boots of all things), we gonna lose the next war.  This is ALL going to end in tears.  Mr Blairwitch is going to send demoralised troops to a country which I think this time, will fight back. :mad:

2. Yep it is - in todays metro.

Looks like everybody who is of to make sandcastles will have to wear trainers as the incompetent tossers who run the MOD forgot to reorder boots - oops :mad:

CAn't wait to hear what else they've forgot to indent for - NBC suits, Filters for respirators, coffee and Challenger II (hmmm, wonder if one could do the job of the other?), desert DPM clothing, etc, etc, etc

3. Lets use our initiative like the chaps in the Falklands did

Slot the fireman & nick the boots from thier rotting corpses. We'll go to war in wellies & big red poncy trucks. ;D

4. Oh Man..... picturing that now.... driving into Bagdaddy in a big red fire truck !   ;D  I know they think Brit Troops are loopy, but they'll think we even more loopy wearing Nike whilst marching to Mr Saddams pleasure palace.  :'(

5. Got it  - I now know how T B'liar and his gang are going to fund our input - they're going to get Nike to sponsor the british army!

6. Nah ... won't be Nike, they only sponsor winners ...

7. Oi Joke!!!

Slagging is on another thread.......So fcuk off ;D

8. lololololololol Jake, like yer banter.......

Gunny, glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this time the Iraqis are going to put up a row.

They have already proved they can, if their country is threatened with invasion, 6 years, million casualties, a sort of sunny Stalingrad. This week, all able bodied men, have been given an Assault rifle to keep indoors, for when we come steaming up from the Basra Road/Over the Turkish border. Not saying they have ammunition for the AK's, but the very act, that Saddam feels confident enough to start handing out weapons to all and sundry, kind of implies, he ain't quite as deeply unpopular as we believe..

And if we forgot to re-order boots for fcuks sake, then we forgot to re-order filters/Naps/combo pens/ammunition?

Strange really, the MODS ordering system is behind schedule and over budget, so I guess it's not working?

Time for someone, to physically get everyone to phone in their kit required list, before we deploy with massive shortfalls in essential equipment.

I also notice, with some trepidation, that Iraq has been talking to Iran about a "Mutual security pact"........

Oh dear..........

9. Bugger, bugger bugger - now going to have to dig through my pile of kit and pray that i still have that spare NBC suit + respirator filters and all the other junk. Missus will be happy!

10. It's a shocking state of affairs.....

To take our example, we 'ordered' desert combats two and a half years ago.......we're still waiting......[​IMG]

I also needed the alarmingly regular CS95 exchange recently (the clothing is that poor) but had to resort to borrowing a set off a neighbour because stores didn't hold enough. Had to wear it for six weeks while our stores ordered more in.  I now have my very own issue kit (but only two sets mind) and they are too big.  I'm 5'8" and of medium build.....hardly a problem to get this size in stock surely.....[​IMG]

Are you listening out there?  Or are you way too busy accommodating our poor, retched "asylum" seekers in London hotels whilst providing them with training for OUR jobs?

F*ckers........you'll learn.......

[​IMG]

Christ, I am in a bad mood today........[​IMG]

11. Eagle,

Sorry to hear your in a bad mood, AND, sorry to hear about your kit...... yeap, it's a sorry state of affairs in this great country of ours.  If there's ever a time to feel patriotic, it should be now, BUT we've had royal scandals, immigrant problems, fireman being greedy, MOD working on another wavelength, etc, etc.... and to top it all, a possible war with the lads and lasses wearing their sixty quid trainers !  What next?  The Royal Balloon Corps resurrected to save on aviation fuel costs??

PTP,

Glad you agree and added an excellent comment yourself.  Mr Madman Hussein IS quietly confident in the way he's conducting himself.  I think this time, he has something up his sleeve.  As I have stated in other threads, how many people have crossed into this country on the guise of an asylum seeker, but are 'up to no good'?  It's ALL a very sad state of affairs, and it will, as I have said, end in tears for Britain.  Hell, one of the immigrants let into the country yesterday because of Blairwitches agreement with France said he was escaping Iraq because two Moslem groups in his village had started fighting.  FEEK... he's in for a surprise here, there's hundreds of different ethnic and religious groups, especially in London.  Enoch Powell is probably rocking and rolling in his grave !  

Civil war anyone............

12. A long time ago, when puttees were de riguer, and the wooly pully a new fangled beast (and strangely, made of wool from the Commonwealth, rather than ICI nylon - chunter ...) my Sergeant Major said to me
    'Fella' - why did you join the Army?'

OD'd on testosterone, I replied 'To kill the enemy, sir!'

'Nonsense - you joined to kill the enemy SMARTLY - otherwise you could do that at the Shed every Saturday afternoon'.

And now - years on, we explicitly state that defence procurement is 'SMART'.  And yet, it is not.

Will I, 20 years on from last time, be off to war, painting my bergen the correct colours because all we have are blue ones?  Rather than listening to a lot of, will we have to become, 'cobblers'?

Come on all over-fed staff types at Abbey Wood - my kids can go shopping more effectively than you lot.  Get out of that bunker at DPA and kick down some doors!  'It will be issued in theatre' was a lie in 82 and 91 - and there are sufficient old farts about in green to 'webuke you all woughly' if you give us that in 03.

Finally, the 'L' in IPTL stand for 'Leader' - it implies responsibility - SO TAKE SOME AND SORT IT OUT!

13. The problem is, or certainly was in my day (not that long ago) that the brass know that the dumb fcuk squaddies will go out and spend their hard earned on buying their own gear.

I remember before going out to GW1 that I bought a decent Bergen,  desi wellies, socks, insect repellent, jungle boots (never figured out why I bought those!), Bino's etc etc. One of my (ex squaddy) relatives even bought me a GPS; such was his confidence in the modern army supplying us with the necessary gear.

I thought that the only exception to this would have been weapons, but no, some of our FAC holding guys were even allowed to bring their own fcuking gats!!

What they should do is issue us with a set of working dress, a set of combats for guard duty, a set of number 2's and then give us all the money they have saved for us to source the rest ourselves.

Set acceptable patterns of dress (i.e. all gear should LOOK the same and would have to meet MINIMUM requirements) and let private industry fight for our money.

This would save the Gov a fcuking fortune as we would not be dumb enough to go out and buy the crap that is issued, and private industry would be falling over themselves backwards to supply quality equipment to a captive audience at competitive prices.

If the manufacturers knew that they couldn't rely on Joe Squaddy coming back to them time and time again unless the quality was excellent and the price was right, watch how quickly the former would increase and the latter would decrease.

You could get round the argument of "SPROG boy will only p1ss it up the wall" by issuing vouchers for payment as opposed to cash and doing periodical inspections to ensure that the neccesary amount of gear was held.

Even for the SPROGS this would be beneficial as the sweats could point them in the right direction of which gear was sh1te and which gear was the DB's.

Believe me, as a business owner myself, I would fcuking love the idea of squaddies paying by Gov guaranteed vouchers as opposed to cash or cheque. Suppliers and manufacturers would embrace such a scheme with open arms.

As for “when and how do you replace the gear?”, easy, use the same scheme that they have now. You take said shagged gear to the QM’s, Norman the Storeman decides if it is repairable or if you need a new voucher to replace it.

A vastly reduced amount of “standard” gear is then kept in the QM’s for deployments and ex use.

B Liar is determined to turn the mob into The British Army PLC so why not let a bit of private industry in?

If the above scenario ever happened, I would sell my business and go solely into supplying the mob with the quality gear they deserve, such is my confidence that it would work.

RANT OFF :p

14. ORG,

I've taken a break from getting this encryption system for mobile phones ready, just so I can address this post.

Forgive me for saying so, but you are fcuking brilliant (IMHO)

Let's see why.

I don't know what you do in the regs, but the first thing we do, is go out, and get a decent smock from the surplus bods. Now, I admit my smock, has probably done more time in the Emerald Toilet than I ever will, but I love it. It's brilliant, functional and looks the fcuking beezneez Madam.

The problem is, or certainly was in my day (not that long ago) that the brass know that the dumb fcuk squaddies will go out and spend their hard earned on buying their own gear

We all do, because any fool can be uncomfortable in the field.

I wear a pair of 85 combats on Exercise, an 85 smock , aircrew rollneck over a T-shirt,magnums or Proboots, and I am toasty and functional as feck. The 95 gets put on, if the Brigadier is going to be on the area. Even he's wearing something I last saw in the Army museum
    All the kit I normally wear on exercise, has been purchased by me.

If I was allowed to bring my own weapon to the party, then it would be an SLR (FN folding stock) ,a DiMarco C7 or a G36.

What they should do is issue us with a set of working dress, a set of combats for guard duty, a set of number 2's and then give us all the money they have saved for us to source the rest ourselves.  

Agreed

Set acceptable patterns of dress (i.e. all gear should LOOK the same and would have to meet MINIMUM requirements) and let private industry fight for our money.  

Absolutely agreed, if it's field kit we're talking about. Next time you're on exercise, have a look see how many Arctic/Sas/Para smocks/Cloggie Trousers are getting worn. I have a pair of gortex combat trousers, not wetproofs, made by a UK civvy firm. Cost £30.00, have lasted 5 years. It would save a fortune in supply, and if the cost were subsidised, then everyone would go for the best kit they could afford. A decent civvy contractor, pref ex-forces, would make sure it was the right quality and the right price.

Like the vouchers idea, and the old sweats, would be advising. As well as selling their old kit -lol . Got a very nice patrol Bergan from an instructor on a course for £35.00. Cheers Gaz....  ;D
    Also picked up an Alice Bergan for £15.00, which I use for training with. Tis the Mutts Nutts.

Believe me, as a business owner myself, I would fcuking love the idea of squaddies paying by Gov guaranteed vouchers as opposed to cash or cheque. Suppliers and manufacturers would embrace such a scheme with open arms.

So am I, yes I would. I'd also make sure, that what I produced,was right for the boys, otherwise, they'd buy jack.

As for “when and how do you replace the gear?”, easy, use the same scheme that they have now. You take said shagged gear to the QM’s, Norman the Storeman decides if it is repairable or if you need a new voucher to replace it.

Simple and brilliant.

A vastly reduced amount of “standard” gear is then kept in the QM’s for deployments and ex use.

....and less cost in stockholding, leading to the cost advantages of using a "Just in time system"

If the above scenario ever happened, I would sell my business and go solely into supplying the mob with the quality gear they deserve, such is my confidence that it would work.

Then if you're so confident, get in touch, let's do a proposal. The one good thing about the Secret rebel Base, as you well know yourself ORG, is the abundance of skilled rag trade hereabouts....  ;D