Third of Recruits Drop Out

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by oldbaldy, Feb 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Contimues:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/24/nrecruits124.xml

2. Only one third. We must have dropped our standards. Only half of my training party finished. Surely the idea is to keep the cream and get rid of the cr*p, so there must be wastage.

C_of_J

3. Rather that 1/3 didn't get to the front line and cause mayhem.

There will always be wastage, young lads join up and then don't like it, or can't hack the lifestyle. It will always be like that.

1/3 seems excessive but.

4. In 1984 when I was an Instructor at Strensall York the Drop out rate was about 30% nothing has changed. Its none news. However the Kings Div alone probably had 10 Platoons in Training at anyone time during my two years there. Dont know the figures now.

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

IJLB in 1981 about 1/3 made the grade!

6. So Two thirds of all recruits joining the Infantry, sucessfully complete there 24 week training and make the grade!

Sounds better if we spin it!!

7. But that would make the Army sound like it was doing something right.

8. The army IS doing something right........

Just the backing and support from this Gov that isn't right........

Sorry, Sunday morning at work and ready for a proper rant

9. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Of the third that fail CIC, does anyone know if they are encouraged to transfer to Other Arms & Services?

Not everyone is cut out to be an infantryman, but might make a suitable Signalman, Gunner, Cavalryman or Medic etc. It would make sense to direct the non-hackers towards Corps rather than straight out to civvy street.

10. I trained with the Tankies in 1979 - our intake went down from 99 to 45.

11. I think RP578 has a good point there. If say half of the "failed" 1/3 could make the grade in a Corps then that would be beneficial to the Army as a whole and obviously less "wastage" of funds.

12. Even at ATR Winchester I saw a lot of people drop out. But when you actually see some of these guys, it's completely understandable why they leave. I don't think the Army is doing anything wrong, it's almost a completely pointless story to report on. Do they suggest that they make training easier? This is wrong.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Some of the people are failing phase 1 so not of any use to the ACF even!

14. "The growing casualty rate in Iraq and Afghanistan, where a soldier and a Royal Marine were killed last week, and the low pay of trained infantry soldiers have been identified as factors persuading recruits to leave early".

If this was the case, they wouldn't have joined in the first place surely?

15. We did get several guys from other corps and regiments come into the
    Air Corps - quite a few from the Paras who had dropped out.