Thinking Skills Course instead of nick .. you couldn't write it as fiction

Ipswich: Teenager who burgled neighbour

First there was communication skills. Then inter and intra personal skills and assertiveness skills and blah de blah.

Clearly the reason those skills courses bore no fruit was that students attended without the gateway qualification of "Thinking skills".

I would put money that the first skillful thought the lad experienced was "Wot a result"

Ipswich: Teenager who burgled neighbour

First there was communication skills. Then inter and intra personal skills and assertiveness skills and blah de blah.

Clearly the reason those skills courses bore no fruit was that students attended without the gateway qualification of "Thinking skills".

I would put money that the first skillful thought the lad experienced was "Wot a result"
Makes a change from a safari & possibly slightly cheaper :- Safari Boy back in court for his 112th crime - Telegraph

Z

Zarathustra

Sounds a sensible sentence. Whats the issue?
That obviously the only way to stop people breaking the law is to send them to nick. Any attempts to rehabilitate people by making them do courses, which might prove productive and help them gain employment, should be stopped immediately.

Thompson admitted burglary and burglary with intent to steal and was given 12 months detention in a young offenders’ institution suspended for two years and ordered to do 120 hours of unpaid work in the community. He was also ordered to attend a Thinking Skills programme and to pay £500 compensation to the victim of the burglary.
He was also made the subject of a 16-week curfew between the hours of 9pm and 6am.

I think that is very good sentance, the right amount of rod, maybe a bit more help would be handy but we don't really know what hte course is, but much better than putting him in a nick to learn more bad habits and start the descent.

Be interesting if the sentence could include education as well.

It might work if it doesnt jail him next time.

Harrumph!!

I'd hand the bloody lot of 'em so that prison places would be freed up for real criminals.

Guy down the road is being prosecuted for non-council tax payment. 86 years old no pot to piss in and terified of prison. Oh, he was wounded at Al-Amain as well. Lock him up as well, he has after all broken the law.
Unfortunately he is more likely to be sent down.
(I think a wound at El Alamein, would carry more weight with the court ;-) ).

He's had 11 years of free schooling trying to teach him some basic skills and how to be a decent human being. What makes anyone think a "thinking skills" course will make a difference.

I'd say that community service would be the way ahead but I have seen no evidence that these schemes amount to much more than showing up, ticking off the hours and sitting around pondering about the harm they may have done.

If he got a hiding from every householder, he'd soon start thinking.

He's had 11 years of free schooling trying to teach him some basic skills and how to be a decent human being. What makes anyone think a "thinking skills" course will make a difference.

I'd say that community service would be the way ahead but I have seen no evidence that these schemes amount to much more than showing up, ticking off the hours and sitting around pondering about the harm they may have done.
I love community service. Up there with a Drug Treatment Testing Order. What a LOB.

Genuinely, last bloke I convicted in court for possession of a pointed or bladed article (7" inch hunting knife in a town centre) got a "knife awareness course".

(Forgive me if I snort with laughter at the new "Aggravated Knife Carrying" offence. Someone has a lethal weapon in public, that's why we made is unlawfully specifically in 1953 with the Prevention of Crime Act. Uphold the laws on the books, not clutter up the landscape with more stupid offences).

The lad has two years jail time suspended, Thinking Skills Course, 9 hours of curfew each night and has to pay £500 quid to those he burgled.

A decent sentence as if he doesn't think about it and buckle down and does not do the course, breaks curfew or fails to pay off the debt then he can have his original 2 year sentence back.

He's not being set up to fail but to actually consider what he has done and to make changes to his life.

Latest Threads