Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Thinking of trying to transfer to RLC

dingerr said:
Are his initials CM? If so that cunt is out. A fucking disgrace to the trade and universally hated, but we all have our cross to bear - like jesus the little prick should have been crucified.

Problem being that the Wedge make complete arses of themselves when demming shit, and we mock them for it (anything more than one item and they struggle).

To arse about ourselves would only lead to wedge retribution. However there are more than a few of use that have possibly been a little closer than we should be on a couple of occasions.

Dingerr, don't know his initials, he was built like a shithouse rat, had them horrible weasely eyes and would have fallen over if he lifted more than his own arms in weight. He was referred to as 'cnutlips' or 'that fcukin skinny cockend over there'. He also had a stupid ginger tache, that seriously affected his centre of gravity!!!!

As to pyro & ammo fights, do pet ops have to be better at arrsing around with your commodities than you are? I have personally witnessed a Pet Op wedging a 30mm round in the window with the business end pointed at the gate guard (churchill tank I think?) at Barker Bks only to then proceed to twat a nail onto the percussion cap with a big FO hammer. Never went off, again gutted! Our stuff takes very little fcuking about with to have a good time.

My latest favourite is plastic Lucozade bottle half full of dry ice a teaspoon of acetone (to hurry things along) lid on and throw in a bush next to the sentry. 5-10 minutes later you'll get an exploding bottle with a very satisfying bang, and hopefully the sentry will start a fire-fight with himself. I have been personally responsible for a Sqn level fire-fight with no-one in particular and even had to hide my giggles when I asked what was going on and a young troopy said the "enemy had been caught trying to break into sqn lines and were now attacking on all sides!" Never got as far as a 'bug out' though, which would have been nice!

If by wedge you mean gingerneers, we have our problems with them too.

Back to the thread.............Be a Pet Op mate, it's gotta be better than being a plank! Don't look at the RLC recruiting page though, it's double shit and does not give a true reflection of what we do! PM CH90210 or me (but I will only lie, obfuscate and decieve - I can't help it).

Perhaps Supplier? It's easier for someone, Ahem! . . . more mature, to excell in the trade. There's warehouse, MHE, materiel picking work along with clerical, system and PC work. Definatley using the grey matter.

Does attract young numpties, but like mentioned above, anyone who's prepared to work hard with the right attitude will be rewarded (Althoiught that sounds remarkably similar to the rest of the field army and a potential Wah!, remember that the RLC has one the biggest share percentage of non-indiginous soldiers out there, some of whom are just going through the motions). Plenty of posting opportunities. Could be attached to Engineers, RA (Ironic), Aviation, REME or anywhwere in any theatre that requires loggies.

Remember, once in you can still change trades within the corps.

Supplier

Just had a update from bdfl1975, said it seems the RLC are full of:

Stinky, arsonist, backstabbing, think ammuntion is something to talk about blokes called P Pat who, to cap it all, are Ginger!!!!

Said he is going Inf who sound a lot safer or should that be saner!!

Fat_Cav said:
remember that the RLC has one the biggest share percentage of non-indiginous soldiers out there, some of whom are just going through the motions). Remember, once in you can still change trades within the corps.

Supplier[/url]

Im now hearing at our Unit non non-indiginous soldiers complaing of cold weather injuries!

Ammo Tech

Pass AT course - Promoted to LCpl

Year later - Promoted to Cpl

18mths - 2 years after: Attend upgrading once passed most are promoted to Sgt.

Complete Joint Service IEDD course (its easy - even the wedge and RAF can pass it - although some RLC Captains struggle). - Promoted to SSgt about a year after.

Attend High Threat course (it's now an attendance course - sp will probably die within 6 months!). Promoted to WO2 about a year after.

(That's 8-10 years to WO2).

Higher pay band (except LCpl rank - but then it is only a year).

Good postings - Canada (i've just spent 2 years there), Brunei, Oman, Germany, Cyprus and there are detachments throughout UK of 11 EOD Regt ranging from Edinburgh to Shorncliffe.

Work outdoors alot. Blow shit up.

Work Very close with the Infantry, to the point of being out on patrol with them in Afghan.

Men want to be you. Women want to be with you - Its just awesome, it's like being a God, but better. :D

dingerr said:
Ammo Tech

Pass AT course - Promoted to LCpl

Year later - Promoted to Cpl

18mths - 2 years after: Attend upgrading once passed most are promoted to Sgt.

Complete Joint Service IEDD course (its easy - even the wedge and RAF can pass it - although some RLC Captains struggle). - Promoted to SSgt about a year after.

Attend High Threat course (it's now an attendance course - sp will probably die within 6 months!). Promoted to WO2 about a year after.

(That's 8-10 years to WO2).

Higher pay band (except LCpl rank - but then it is only a year).

Good postings - Canada (i've just spent 2 years there), Brunei, Oman, Germany, Cyprus and there are detachments throughout UK of 11 EOD Regt ranging from Edinburgh to Shorncliffe.

Work outdoors alot. Blow shit up.

Work Very close with the Infantry, to the point of being out on patrol with them in Afghan.

Men want to be you. Women want to be with you - Its just awesome, it's like being a God, but better. :D

OK. I'm in. Where do I sign?

CH512O said:
Fat_Cav said:
remember that the RLC has one the biggest share percentage of non-indiginous soldiers out there, some of whom are just going through the motions). Remember, once in you can still change trades within the corps.

Supplier[/url]

Im now hearing at our Unit non non-indiginous soldiers complaing of cold weather injuries!

What are they getting chillblains holding all that cold beer, vodka, Et al . . . Or are we talking about the whole RLC Corps rugby team?

Fat_Cav said:
Perhaps Supplier? It's easier for someone, Ahem! . . . more mature, to excell in the trade. There's warehouse, MHE, materiel picking work along with clerical, system and PC work. Definatley using the grey matter.

Does attract young numpties, but like mentioned above, anyone who's prepared to work hard with the right attitude will be rewarded (Althoiught that sounds remarkably similar to the rest of the field army and a potential Wah!, remember that the RLC has one the biggest share percentage of non-indiginous soldiers out there, some of whom are just going through the motions). Plenty of posting opportunities. Could be attached to Engineers, RA (Ironic), Aviation, REME or anywhwere in any theatre that requires loggies.

15% to be precise

Have you thought about Air Despatch?
As with other trades spoken about here, we're on the higher band @ lcpl,
but we get AD pay on top! (pop star wages, all round)
We work outside/inside
and your brain will be worked.
so ok promotion is a little slow but if your good enough, your good enough and you'll overtake others in trade.
and we have driving details every day to the drop zones to clear stores.

(Sits back, places mk6a on head and awaits incoming) :D

Airdropmaster said:
We work outside/inside
so ok promotion is a little slow but if your good enough, your good enough and you'll overtake others in trade.

Can people direct entry into the AD role, or do they have to going via driver role and selection first?

dingerr said:
Airdropmaster said:
We work outside/inside

Can people direct entry into the AD role, or do they have to going via driver role and selection first?

dingerr said:
What are you transferring from and how long have you got left?

Of the three you have listed Pet Op would probably be your best. If you have done a little time you will soon get thredders being a new driver.

If you are transferring due to lack of promotion in your current cap badge then Ammo Tech is the way forward.

My bold.

Dingerr's right. I love what i do, but im honest enough to tell anyone wanting to transfer that they should try anything but my trade, there's just better options available IMO. :oops:

Well I guess that proves you don't have to be too clever to be AD.
I F*$ked that right up.
In answer, No you don't have to serve at a driver unit first.
Apply for Driver/Air Despatcher, come to Lyneham try the Air Despatch assesment. if you pass your in!
Start the next basic Air Despatch Cse.

MSI64 said:
Fat_Cav said:

15% to be precise

Its about 60% at junior rank level.