Thinking of re-trading to ammo tech, any info?

Discussion in 'RLC' started by Eyeball, May 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thinking of re-trading to ammo tech, read all stuff on army site, any more info would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

2. Don't believe all the hype. Its a good trade with plenty off opportunities to travel and some good blokes.

Like everything it has a down side but thats life.

If you want anything in particular - PM me. Out of interest what are you retrading from?

3. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

You can PM me too.

Get in touch with your nearest AT det and spend some time with them,and
    above all keep on pushing your transfer paperwork through your unit.

Don't let them fob you off!

4. Where are you at the moment (Loc & trade)?

5. In the R Sigs, radio tech, based in Bulford but on Op telic 6, till nov.

6. On return to Bulford, contact Tidworth Tp, 721 EOD Sqn, 11 EOD Regt RLC - I will PM you with names & contact nos. Go & see them, the guys there will be able to explain how the AT selection & re-trade process works and you'll be able to chat to them about the different roles that ATs have within the Army. :?

Within the R Sigs, you may have heard from some of your collegues who worked as ECM Operators with EOD teams. There is more to being an AT than just IEDD, however glamorous that may seem! :?

If you're able to speak to any of the ATs/ATOs out on TELIC at the moment, they would also be able to give you a feel for what life is like within the trade. 8O

7. Thanks very much, really appreciate the info, better to have the soldiers point of view as well as the army propaganda on it. will look into getting into contact to someone out here. Cheers

8. I changed trade from Driver to AT in 2000. The course is not easy, a lot of info to learn. Course is 6 months long, you then wait a minimum of 2 years to do Upgraders, another 5 months long. Plenty of other courses to do along the way. Tidworth Det has a couple of re-traders there. Speak to the 2 Stripeys there, sure they will help. Like any job, it comes with plenty of b......t but the faster promotion etc can make up for it. If you don't try you will never know. Good luck.

9. dont forget £1500 tax free if you successfully retrade!

10. Eyeball,
    Depending on where you are on 6 you need to find the Det at either at SLB, Smitty or Abu Naji. Look for the Felix signs!

Or phone Syn B - 960 3226 & ask for ATO