Thinking of joining

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by HeRbErT1, Apr 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone im new to the site so im a bit wet behind the ears!

anyway im 20 years old and im thinking about joining, but my querie is that i want to learn and be in the construction management side of things whilst with the army.

Ive seen like design draughters and etc can lead to qualifications - National Certificate -but ive already gained a National Diploma in Builidng Studies so im just wondering what would happen, is their different levels or stages?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Liam

2. AFCO mate & don't think, just do it. :)

3. Yup, what he said: Get on with it - and welcome, btw.

4. As a Class 2 Design Draughtsman you will be able to design single storey buildings, as a Class 1 you will be able to design up to 3 storeys i.e. within the scope of Building Regulations. As a draughtsman you do actually design stuff, you aren't a simple CAD monkey. This is the major difference between what you learn in the Army and what you have already done in college. Think architectural technologist rather than plain draughtsman.
    Unfortuantly I don't think there is any scope to go straight in at Class 1 level, even with an HND. You will have a major advantage in the fact that your knoweldge of building technology is there already so all you would need to do is concentrate on getting your AutoCAD skills up to standards. There was a guy on a Clerk of Works course who already had an HND in Building Studies (at the time the civilian qualification they were awarded at the end of the course) and he still had to do the whole course.
    If you want to get into construction management whilst in the Army I would recommend joining as either a surveyor or design draughtsman then after 8 or 10 years when you are a Cpl applying for the Clerk of Works (Construction) course. Whilst this does seem quite a way off this is the only way you will get to do proper construction management whilst in the Army.
    If you've anymore questions give me a shout.

5. Thank you very much for answering my question. Well i now understand my situation much better thank you sir! May i ask, have you gone down this similar route before? any heads up you can offer if so.

Cheers Plant Life. Liam