Thinking of joining the army, but can't stop worrying about losing heart in a fight.

Mick1900

Crow
In a few years once I'm done with University, I have decided to join the Royal Armoured Corps. I'm totally willing to risk my life and go all the way if that's what I have to do, but the truth of the matter is I have no experience with combat and high stress situation that require true bravery courage. Sure, in principle I'm willing to go toe-to-toe with the enemy, but I'm worried that I'll sign up for the army, get sent into a combat situation and chicken out under fire.

I know cowardice isn't tolerated in the Military, and was just wondering if it's common for people who have never seen combat to ask themselves if they could take it. If you have ever thought anything along these words, and have any words of comfort or advice, that would be much appreciated.
Slightly of topic. But loving the profile picture hahah.

Shakebody

Swinger
In a few years once I'm done with University, I have decided to join the Royal Armoured Corps. I'm totally willing to risk my life and go all the way if that's what I have to do, but the truth of the matter is I have no experience with combat and high stress situation that require true bravery courage. Sure, in principle I'm willing to go toe-to-toe with the enemy, but I'm worried that I'll sign up for the army, get sent into a combat situation and chicken out under fire.

I know cowardice isn't tolerated in the Military, and was just wondering if it's common for people who have never seen combat to ask themselves if they could take it. If you have ever thought anything along these words, and have any words of comfort or advice, that would be much appreciated.
Kill the doubts and take the bold step towards joining the most vibrant melitary in the world (the British Army).. I have the same mind set like you which is "Laying my life for others to live" that's my sole purpose on earth..... So I encourage you mate to join the winning team...

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
You're thinking about it from a civilian mindset, which will change once the army have hammered you out a bit and remoulded you. Most soldiers ask themselves what you're asking and because they want a definitive answer, are quite happy to go operational. It's the ultimate self-test.

The army will change you for the better and chances are, you'll be a very different person to the one who's writing this today.

Good luck!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Join your uni OTC, push yourself a bit. If you can't deal with a blank attack, then it's probably safer to say the army isn't really for you. That's what I'd do, at least.
Plus you will be inundated with kit most AR squaddies don't see in a month of Sundays...which is no bad thing :)

When the shít does hit the fan, you won’t be fighting for Queen and Country, you’ll be fighting for the person next to you, regardless of if it is Uncle Knobhead who you went 10 rounds with in the dinner queue or your best mate.
This sums it up exactly!

For sure everyone questions themselves at one time or another and in the main, when asked, steps up to the line.
During the height of the "Troubles" in N.I. there were times when in the middle of a riot I could have willingly turned and run away but I didn't, why? sense of duty, job to do, stick with your mates, etc etc. Nothing can actually prepare you for these types of situations whether it's a riot or a full blown fire fight, sure they can be simulated but the real thing is the ultimate test. All I can suggest is you do what your head and heart tell you and along with many others you will make the grade.

Latest Threads