Thinking of joining but have a 4 year old daughter?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by sephog83, Jul 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi i wanna join the paras but have a 4year old daughter, im not with her mum anymore. anyone else have any experience of joining with kids and what was it like?
  2. .....I wasn't allowed to keep mine in the block.
  3. ha i aint taking her with me.......
  4. So whats the problem then
  5. i guess there is no problem except iv had regular contact for the last 4 years?
  6. Believe it or not most squaddy have families, and some of them have kids, a regiment is not just a combat unit, it a massive organisation with families, fathers and son, uncles and aunties, some units have whole families serving
    Your only joining the Army, not going to another planet
  7. msr

msr LE

Have you thought about joining the TA?
  8. completely understand that, just guess im worried about her missing me and me missing her?
  9. You probably will mis her mate, she will almost certainly miss you. The good thing is that you realise that at this stage, I found that in basic the people who had problems coping with being away from their families were the people who couldnt wait to get away from home and didnt think that they would have any dramas being seperated from their loved ones. The fact that you are switched on to the reality of the situation shows to me, that you have already given yourself a better chance of getting through that particular hurdle.
    Of course you will find it hard, but it is not by any means an impossible situation. Remember that being able to spend time without physical contact is importnant for both of you if you want to make this your career. When on ops, knowing that you and your daughter can deal with the seperation will be important.
    Best of luck.
  10. yeah iv thought about the ta but iv always wanted a career in the army, should of joined 5 years ago but ex conveniently got preganant at time of applying!

You still get to join the Parachute Regiment, whilst living near and keeping regular contact with your daughter.

If you successfully pass the Cadre/PPS, then you can also put yourself forward to deploy on Operations with one of the Regular Battalions.

Best of both worlds............
  12. thatnks for all your advice lads, im booked on the para insight course already in september so hopefully all will go well!
  13. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Wrong :D its a different fucking planet all together.
  14. got a 2 year old son and a girlfriend and im leaving for basic in october, it is hard but if its what you really want, that should take you through it, do the insight couse 1st i think thats 5 days away, see how you find that
  15. its definitley wat i want, something i feel i need to do!