Thinking of joining at 37

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by gimley, Jun 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

I am thinking of joining the TA at 37 years old, i feel fit enough do the gym 5 days a week and ju jitsu and thai boxing, can easily do the 1.5 mile in under 10 min.

I just wanted to know what anyones expeirance is of joining the ta at this age has it been easy to fit in - i dont know what the percentage of mature to the normal 18-25 years old is?

I am sick of dead end jobs and want to have some fun while training hardcore and serve this country that i love, offering great benefits and future prospects.

I take work with ta is part time or can you do it full time as this would be my preffered choice, complete career change and throw myself into it 100%.

Can someone perhaps give me a brief run done from start to finish, do you live in etc.
  2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Wow, I banged out in 1997 at 29. Thinking of trying to keep up at 41 is something I don't think I could do.

But if you think its something you want to do, go for it.

I forget the guys name, but he made a documentary about joining the marines and passed in his fifties...

If you don't try, you'll never know.
  3. Give it a bash mate, if you never try you'll never know
  4. TA is "part-time" until/unless you go on Ops. It is less than a career and more than a hobby. You will only live in during training weekends.

If you are "sick of dead-end jobs" you may be able to learn skills while serving with the TA - for example Driving - that will improve your employment prospects

As to your age and fitness, the only way to find out is to go along to your local TA Unit(s). Visit all within a practical travelling distance.
  5. You will also learn how not to wear a beret or uniform correctly.

On the plus side you can tell all your pub friends how you are a "real" soldier.

You are a Gareth in waiting.
  6. thanks for the replies so far - i am very determined and push my fitness all the time, so that wont be a problem, famous last words i am sure.

I have my hgv class 2 licence allready i wanted to get that myself to help when i join.

How does the pay work - do you get paid for training days only?
  7. Go for it mate.
    I joined up last year at the age of 40, I had been in at 16 and knew what was expected so worked on my fitness before I put the application in.
    You get paid for what you work and travel as well. Travel wise I am in a National unit and I get £83 travel and the travel time which is about a quarter of a days pay.
    Which unit you thinking off?
  8. HGV2 should definately help recruitment.

You will be payed for Drill Nights -usually Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on which Unit you join - and any Training Weekends, Courses and Camps. I've been out so long, I could'nt tell you how much it is, but Trained Soldiers will recieve a yearly bonus of at least several hundred quid.

But nobody gets rich from the TA, mate.
  9. Go for it.

I'm 37 and fitted in fine with the younger guys and gals. Fitness wise, some of them were struggling to keep up.

I've just completed basic and our section ranged from 18 year olds, both male and female, through to a 41 and 43 year old. Again both male and female.

Go with an open mind and sense of humour and you'll be fine.

Good luck!!
  10. He's called Chris Terrill, a film-maker and director. He also wrote a book about his time with the Royal Marines, both in Lympstone and out in Afghan. I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the book but I seem to recall he was beating some of the young sprogs every now and then!

BTW, if you do join, good luck. Enjoy.
  11. Some guys have done TA Selection at 35-38, so age ain't a hindrance if you're fit and motivated....
  12. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Your lot being the very epitome of how to wear your lovely pink hat correctly of course.
  13. With all due respect to Terrill - and I have no doubt he'd leave me for dead - he "only" did the Commando Tests. NOT the whole Course.

I'm in no way trying to deminsh his achievement, but the rest of the lads had trained for nearly 30 weeks and some would have been carrying injuries.

It's a bitter fact of life: while one can maintain high levels of strength and fitness well into late middle age, one's ability to recover from injuries etc decreases with time. :cry:
  14. I am not sure what unit to consider at this point, i am in edinburgh.

I do have a hgv class 2 licence and would like to use this trade if poss.