Thinking of giving it a whirl.

Lately my social life has taken a nose dive. Well, to be more precise, it crashed and burned into little pieces a few years ago. When I was younger I used to go out on the lash 3/4 nights a week to all the clubs and bars in town, as well as the odd lads' holiday in Ibiza.

Now it seems I'm all grown up (or at least pretending to) and all my mates have either moved away and got married or had babies. I haven't really made any friends at work due to working in various locations and moving a lot and now my current colleagues consist of old women. I did try and salvage the situation by buying an Xbox, but it's not quite the same as being there in person, and to make matters worse none of the barstewards turned up for tonight's gaming sesh.

It might just be that I'm a right cnut and nobody actually likes me, which could well be true, but I also think I desperately need try something new and get a hobby. I don't particularly find football interesting so all that really leaves is table top stuff.

I am already a big fan of the books and I've read quite a bit of the heresy and Cain, as well as Gotek & Felix etc so I suppose 40k is the way to go.

My wife said I wasn't allowed to, but one day when she wasn't at home I visited the local games store and chatted to some slightly obese and socially awkward staff. I have nothing else to lose so I'm seriously thinking about joining them.

I have a few questions for Warhammer players before I take the plunge:

Do I need to buy stuff from that particular store? £100 or so seems a bit pricey when I can get models cheaper on fleabay, but then I can't really rock up to the store when I haven't bought anything there and expect to play. Also, do I need to keep buying stuff in order to keep playing?

Does the starter kit have to be ultramarines or can I paint them any colour for other legions?

Is it better to buy starter kits or buy stuff separately to make your own army?

Does the paint and stuff come with it or is that extra? Can I buy the paints anywhere else or is that bad form?

Can I add stuff on to my models to make them more unique or is that frowned upon?

Is there anything else I should know?

The emperor protects, etc.

CaptainCowpat

Old-Salt
I got back into it after a car crash left me only able to sit at the table straight for a good few months. It has moved on quite a lot since the 90's.

You can get 20-30% off from third party shops, dark sphere is one I've always found good.

There's a new edition launching this week or so with a big space marine v Necron box set, probably worth waiting for that unless you're not bothered about either army. It looks like it will be a huge saving on buying individually.

You can paint however you want, any style or make one up if you fancy. Use any paints you like, most use GW own stuff but a lot use Army Painter brand. And converting is fine too. GW shops only let you play with models they sell, and any extra bit that they sell. You ideally want to find a local independent gaming store/group, every town has a couple at least, there you can play with whatever you want with 3rd party heads swapped out etc. They're usually a hell of a lot more friendly and relaxed too

I know nothing about this stuff but doesn't your lack of friends limit your ability to play a 2+ player game?

You might as well buy yourself a pair of football boots and challenge yourself to a game of five-a-side.

Buy a 3D printer then you can print an entire army for a fraction of the cost GW charge and get another hobby into the bargain.

Oh hang on.

No don't do that, buy quality 3D printed stuff off fleabay for less than GW/Forge World prices.
And as a totally unconnected aside I see a new quality Sisters of Battle Repressor conversion kit will shortly be is listed on ebay for a bargain price and an Immolator is is also in the pipeline.

I do hope the seller does a roaring trade for all their fine efforts and receives suitable financial compensation - as his wife is banging on about a new little car so she'll stop nicking his.

2 quotes I want you to focus on

It might just be that I'm a right cnut and nobody actually likes me, which could well be true,
It could be true - Only you will really know the answer

but I also think I desperately need try something new and get a hobby. I don't particularly find football interesting so all that really leaves is table top stuff.
Are you a cnut ? Probably not. However, the second quote suggests that you are devoid of imagination if you believe that table top gaming is your only option as far as hobbies go.

Has your wife metaphorically beaten you until you are brain-dead ?

£100 or so seems a bit pricey when I can get models cheaper on fleabay,
There is a multitude of hobbies that you can spend £100 on that will get you out the house and meeting people / make friends.

2 quotes I want you to focus on

It could be true - Only you will really know the answer

Are you a cnut ? Probably not. However, the second quote suggests that you are devoid of imagination if you believe that table top gaming is your only option as far as hobbies go.

Has your wife metaphorically beaten you until you are brain-dead ?

There is a multitude of hobbies that you can spend £100 on that will get you out the house and meeting people / make friends.
The OP may mean

'Of the things I find interesting, that leaves table top gaming'

- he enjoys the books, etc so gaming's a decent idea. No point in joining something solely to make friends, unless you're interested in what you are joining. You'd rapidly lose motivation. The OP could join his local darts team to meet people, but it'd be a bad idea if he didn't also enjoy playing darts. :)

28mm? Stuff that, takes too long to paint. Says the man with an unpainted lead mountain. :-(

10mm, the one true scale! Doesn't take up much space either. Loads of manufacturers out there these days. Google Warmaster if you're into fantasy stuff.

And this helps you build 10mm armies Warmaster Army Selector

The OP may mean

'Of the things I find interesting, that leaves table top gaming'
Could be.

It might just be that I'm a right cnut and nobody actually likes me, which could well be true, but I also think I desperately need try something new and get a hobby. I don't particularly find football interesting so all that really leaves is table top stuff.
I read the above paragraph as ruling out football so all that was left was table top stuff.

Don't knock granny shagging. Macron did it and he got to be President of France.
Neither of those sound good.

Like saying " the advantage of your impotence is nobody is going to mock your tiny Willy"

Before you start splashing out on 40k, as its stupidly expensive. I saw a price for £18 for a single plastic 28mm model the other day.

Type your location into google. Add the Words "Wargames Club", and see what you get. It is highly likely that the local club to yourself will provide a greater degree of people to meet, and maybe playing something much bloody cheaper! And by "much cheaper" I mean by an order of magnitude or two.

£100 at Games workshop will get you a tiny fraction of a army. In Flames of War you can get almost an entire Squadron of tanks. Most FoW armies you'll have something solid at about £150. I'd estimate that a Space marine army will be well over £250. If WWII isn't your thing there are other sci-fi games out there, it's basically all down to what your local club is playing.

I recently got back into gaming, after a decade out due to real life. It's been 15 years since I played 40K, and out of interest I sat down and watched a game under way. GW have basically acted like cocks in that 15 years. They've made the game so that to stand any chance you need a huge number of infantry models. Thus, you need to spend large amounts of money on the cheapest points value.
If you like the backgrounds, both 40k and Warhammer, there are massively cheaper options. Let me introduce you to the strange subset of wargamers, the Roleplayer. There are Roleplaying games set in both universes. Now any RPG group can be hit and miss, with a higher degree of bellendry in it if you get the wrong group.
But if you find a group you gel with, its basically a night of pratting about and having fun (often with alcohol involved), and its a damn sight cheaper than a full GW army, you may only need a single model, depending on how your group rolls.

Dr Death

War Hero
Don't knock granny shagging. Macron did it and he got to be President of France.
Mrs Macron is a fine woman & she loves playing with an X Box & PS4 with hubby.*

That said apart from sonic the hedgehog & ToCA2 I have never really go in to gaming.
But do understand for some it gives enjoyment and the thrill of taking part.

OK, i have no idea what Mrs M gets up to at night.

Before you start splashing out on 40k, as its stupidly expensive. I saw a price for £18 for a single plastic 28mm model the other day.

Type your location into google. Add the Words "Wargames Club", and see what you get. It is highly likely that the local club to yourself will provide a greater degree of people to meet, and maybe playing something much bloody cheaper! And by "much cheaper" I mean by an order of magnitude or two.

£100 at Games workshop will get you a tiny fraction of a army. In Flames of War you can get almost an entire Squadron of tanks. Most FoW armies you'll have something solid at about £150. I'd estimate that a Space marine army will be well over £250. If WWII isn't your thing there are other sci-fi games out there, it's basically all down to what your local club is playing.
What he said...

Thanks for the replies, turns out there's a gaming place just down the road from me so I may swing by.

I was being somewhat facetious regarding my wife not letting me go. I have been to a few Warhammer places over the years to try and find more info, including the one in Nottingham, but I never got round to actually playing.

I suppose I was put off a bit because they do seem to attract some peculiar people, a bit like the Army Cadets. I overheard one guy talking enthusiastically about the new female commissar model and he was clearly getting off on it to the point of oogling over the sexy pictures.

That also brings me back to Warhammer. The new AoS for fantasy seems a lot more family friendly. The old books from the 90s subtly hint towards a darker and more kinky side, and the same can be seen with the multi-tittied Slaanesh models. It clearly wasn't designed for children. Are there any games which haven't been destroyed by a PC agenda?

Also, do paints come with kits or do I need to buy them separately? There are other hobbies I could do but I find golf dull and I won't be playing football when I'm 50. If I do get into this then I see it as a hobby I can continue for the rest of my life.

Lately my social life has taken a nose dive. Well, to be more precise, it crashed and burned into little pieces a few years ago. When I was younger I used to go out on the lash 3/4 nights a week to all the clubs and bars in town, as well as the odd lads' holiday in Ibiza.

Now it seems I'm all grown up (or at least pretending to) and all my mates have either moved away and got married or had babies. I haven't really made any friends at work due to working in various locations and moving a lot and now my current colleagues consist of old women. I did try and salvage the situation by buying an Xbox, but it's not quite the same as being there in person, and to make matters worse none of the barstewards turned up for tonight's gaming sesh.

I am already a big fan of the books and I've read quite a bit of the heresy and Cain, as well as Gotek & Felix etc so I suppose 40k is the way to go.

My wife said I wasn't allowed to, but one day when she wasn't at home I visited the local games store and chatted to some slightly obese and socially awkward staff. I have nothing else to lose so I'm seriously thinking about joining them.

I have a few questions for Warhammer players before I take the plunge:

Do I need to buy stuff from that particular store? £100 or so seems a bit pricey when I can get models cheaper on fleabay, but then I can't really rock up to the store when I haven't bought anything there and expect to play. Also, do I need to keep buying stuff in order to keep playing?

Does the starter kit have to be ultramarines or can I paint them any colour for other legions?

Is it better to buy starter kits or buy stuff separately to make your own army?

Does the paint and stuff come with it or is that extra? Can I buy the paints anywhere else or is that bad form?

Can I add stuff on to my models to make them more unique or is that frowned upon?

The emperor protects, etc.
Have you tried dogging, you will meet a multitude of people there and they will be friendly to you instantly and it wont be that expensive provided the wife wont find out.

Have you tried dogging, you will meet a multitude of people there and they will be friendly to you instantly and it wont be that expensive provided the wife wont find out.
Even better if you take a gimp on a leash, as you can honestly tell the missus you've just gone to take the dog for a walk

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thanks for the replies, turns out there's a gaming place just down the road from me so I may swing by.

I was being somewhat facetious regarding my wife not letting me go. I have been to a few Warhammer places over the years to try and find more info, including the one in Nottingham, but I never got round to actually playing.

I suppose I was put off a bit because they do seem to attract some peculiar people, a bit like the Army Cadets. I overheard one guy talking enthusiastically about the new female commissar model and he was clearly getting off on it to the point of oogling over the sexy pictures.

That also brings me back to Warhammer. The new AoS for fantasy seems a lot more family friendly. The old books from the 90s subtly hint towards a darker and more kinky side, and the same can be seen with the multi-tittied Slaanesh models. It clearly wasn't designed for children. Are there any games which haven't been destroyed by a PC agenda?

Also, do paints come with kits or do I need to buy them separately? There are other hobbies I could do but I find golf dull and I won't be playing football when I'm 50. If I do get into this then I see it as a hobby I can continue for the rest of my life.
You some times get paints in starter sets, as an aside the main reason the boobies were dropped was GW at the time struggled to mould them I was told by one of the mould makers a while back. GW paints are pretty decent your best investment will be decent brushes

You have no f'king idea how weird some of them inhabitants of the gaming circles can get. However, these are reduced in and around gaming clubs. As in store you have to be nice to them to get them to dispense with the beer tokens.

Paints and modelling kit are generally separate. But in nearly all cases: Avoid GW stuff.

Observe how much a rip off GW stuff is:

£7 for 20g, or about 16-18in.

Basically, GW pulled a fast one they talked about Green stuff modelling putty in their publications, and how it was used in sculpting. Then took the commercial bulk purchased product of kneadite, cut it down to vastly smaller portions, re-named it to "Green Stuff", and flogged it to the captive audience, and sat back to allow the money roll in.
GW's business model is the same as Apple's, only ramped up to 11. There's a reason why they're known as the Evil Empire.

A long, long time ago, in a city far far away from me now, I used to work for the twats. They charge the cost of materials to their staff. I got about 90 white medal models for £30. At the time that would have cost me in the region £160 if I was buying it as a punter.

Keep in mind that in four years your army will be invalidated, and need re-purposing and modification. GW has pretty religiously kept to a four year cycle with game edition releases.

There was a period, shortly after I left, when GW was targeting youngsters, power of nagging mummy sort of targetting. Guidance was issued to staff to explain Slaanesh to mothers and children. Description was to be The God of Chocolate. During period there was a massive Mary Whitehousing of the model ranges. At first it all seemed to work, GW was basking in increased funds, more of the older lot stepped down as the game became simplified, and GW began to gain traction with the youngsters. High Fives all round the board room table.
Then the next fad appeared (Memory suggests Pokemon?) all the kids bailed and twitchy bums ensued at the GW HQ, and the veteran older players had a massive sense of Schadenfreude. Money worries were not impproved as the Giant LOTR resource leech was still sucking money out of the company, and had been no where as successful as predicted. This, if faded memory serves, was the one time they went to a six year release cycle for their product.

CaptainCowpat

Old-Salt
There's a few points being made that aren't as true as they used to be.

The new edition is increasing points costs for models so games will have a lot fewer models. Some armies you can have 1500-2000 of points (A two to three hour game) in 10-15 models and cost around £100. If you want to spend more/pick horde armies you can still do that though.

Their paints are expensive but are generally yery good quality. Brushes are a rip off, a £7 series 7 Windsor and Newton off eBay will do you for at least a few years easily and is a lot better quality. Things like wire cutters/scalpels etc can be bought for a lot cheaper and a lot higher quality. Use your head for things like that.

Paints aren't included in box sets, they do do starter paint sets though. Most independent stores sell paints at a discount though, 5 for £10 etc

You can always use any models you previously bought, GW have always ensured that. I dug out my stuff from the loft from 1997 and they still have rules to use today. That's the majority of what I play with. They've recently made a legends rules section to ensure your can use every model they've ever made in any game in the future. Nothing will ever be unusable.

The range has included some more armies that are less grim so appeal to more people,but there's still a solid grim setting and new models can still be dark. If you've read some of the Horus heresy, it's still like that. There's still nipple/boobs on models if you want to buy them. Probably one of the good things about the game is that whatever style/theme you want to do, there will be an army to fit your ideas, and you can paint/convert them however you like. If you want a neon flying robot army go for it, if you want an army full of conscripts that you force at gunpoint into the enemy, you can. You want just huge robots that tower over the battle field, yep. A small elite army of demi-god's that cut down everything in front of them, yep. A standard footslogging human militia, yep. An army of demons/space elves that can only survive by collecting the life force of beings through endless torture, yep. An army of soulless robots ripped lovingly from The Terminator movies? Yep. Mad scientists who create armies from chopped up bodies, yep. Small group of assassins, yep. An army of tanks that are essentially giant lawn mowers that you crash into the enemy then flame thrower/nerve gas any survivors, Yep. Load of blokes with chainsaws and jump jump packs? Yep

You can make a 40K army as grim and horrible as you like. And vice versa.

A lot of the hobby is what you make of it. There's scope for you to do whatever you want. Especially at local independent gaming stores/clubs. You forgot a tank? Just use a pack of playing cards etc. You want to play from rules from previous editions, go for it

Attachments

Latest Threads