Thinking of dropping the weights for a bodyweight routine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Robp85, Jul 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When my medical clears i will be looking 2 drop the gym and do everything at home.
    Main points being time consuming doing weights at gym, running outdoors when home, working long hours and having a baby! And bodyweight exercises are what i will be doing in basic so makes sense to do just that. Ive also read doing bodyweight routines can benifit by building explosive speed to benifit goals. I started hitting the gym 3 months back to build mass as i only weighed 9 stone 7 im now 10.5 and makes sense to try maintain that for basic. Enough of the rambling any suggestions ?
  2. I'd wait til you have the baby 1st ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Yep, **** off and bore somebody else with your troubles you dullard.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Probably agree with what Smudge replied, however, I wouldn't toss out the baby with the bath water - pun intended, as it were, cardio routine, ie running in it's various forms, coupled with weights is the all round body routine. Cardio, sure for weight loss and weights for the strength and conditioning of all the upper body muscle groups.

For what it's worth, until told by the doctor or RMO (regarding the baby/pregnancy) to cease any fitness regime I'd keep it up.
  5. Sorry forgive my unclear post my baby is 10 mths old not expecting.
    im looking to drop the weights to allow me to focus more on my running and bodyweight exercises.
    I do weights 4x a week and was running 3x mainly treadmill but ive fucked that of to do real running only but most weeks it ends up twice weekly runs only.
    I dont want to stop lifting but carrying extra weight than needed will only slow me down at basic as with if im deferred or worse something i dont know about stops me getting in ill just resume my lifting.
    Just looking for advice on a bodyweight routine from someone doing such who serves in forces.
  6. Bin the treadmill, get outside.
  7. I assumed that, since your name is "Rob," I was being a twat.
  8. Why would you want to stop once you acheive bodyweight lifts? You will only get stronger as you add very small increments on a weekly basis. Your body fat to muscle ratio will alter (towards muscle) and you may weigh slightly more, but without a weight gain diet, your weight will not alter dramatically. You will however become firmer and stronger, whats not to like about that? 3 sessions a week of compound (whole body exercises, ie squat, deads, bench, overhead press, barbell row + CV on alternate days, then rest at weekends) exercises, increase the weight by fractions every week and you will have excellent strength/stamina and explosive fitness. google Stronglifts 5 x 5.
  9. Beautifully put,
  10. Im not a fatty nowhere near i just dont want to carry more weight than needed for basic to make life anymore difficult. And only reason considering change weight lifting to bodyweight workouts is that and time consuming right now plus i will lose any weight lifting gains in basic. Im using wendlers 5/3/1 and its working great on 4th month was eating for weight gain gained 12 pounds in 3 months as bmi on verge underweight at 6ft so looking at stopping at 11 stone until after basic can look at bulking.
  11. Bodyweight workouts as in calisthenics (push ups, situps, etc.) you mean? I wanted to do this but after reading some theory on the matter, it would seem that just doing your bodyweight exercises in the standard way (circuit routines found on the various forces websites and such), most of which focus on endurance, won't keep muscle mass, since your body will become attuned to just endurance, meaning it will shift off that unnecessary muscle after enough time to achieve this goal. Your body likes to adapt...

However, the rule of thumb does seem to be if you can do 1 set of strength training workouts for each muscle (or compounds such as the bench press to hit several at once) you can maintain muscle mass. So if you plan on never going back to the gym you may want some dumbbells that are heavy enough or resistance bands which are dirt cheap on amazon. The theory behind this bit is that 80% of the workout comes from the first set. Yeah, surprised me too...

If you are dead set on this bodyweight stuff, which makes sense for joining the forces, I would recommend the book "You are your own gym". It has a complete program and well over 100 bodyweight exercises, or ones which use improvised weights. The main author claims to be ex US SF (take that with a pinch of salt though) though the program he sets out in this modestly priced book seems to have a solid basis in science of exercise and the art (the bit about making it work for you) and seems to have similarities with the famous P90X routine, which is another good idea and incorporates a lot of pushups and pullups for strength training.