Thinking of applying..

I remeber a few years back when i was playing in a rugby team. I told my mate that i wanted to join the army. He laughed at me. In the end i though he was just a pirck and left it. 2 years later i found out he was in the air cadets. I coudnt stop laughing. I first told one of my mates when i filled in a aplication and i could tell he didnt want me to go. But i belive what i am doing is one of the best choices i have ever done and i will never forget it. I start Phase one in march.

Hypno85 and Infantrino some very good comments from young lads and Im sure you will put 100% in when you get the chance. I had the same comments about not sticking it 20 years ago from my dad who told me later he said it to give me the chance to prove him wrong. You WILL have some rough times ahead especially in basic training but grit your teeth work as a team and remember that everyone of you in that section have weak and strong points. Good luck to yu two and the original poster remember its your life only you will regret or realise you made the right decision.

well applying for the army, the benfits far far far outweigh the risks, i am sure your family and friends will realise this when they know you are totaly serious about signing up!

Well first off all thx so much for the advice and encouragement :)

Secondly - Application is on the way! woo *crossed fingers* :D

How long is it usually before i'd hear something?

Karl_uk said:
Well first off all thx so much for the advice and encouragement :)

Secondly - Application is on the way! woo *crossed fingers* :D

How long is it usually before i'd hear something?
Good one mate. Fingers crossed for you to. Your family will come round to what you want to do soon believe me.

If your mum says anything just say so you wont be proud of me on the day i pass out?, Its a great guilt trip used it myself hehe.

Depends on where you are. For me it seemed ages as there was only one recruiter, But then again the old recruiter didn't seem bothered in helping me get in, no phone calls back etc...

New recruiter came in top bloke got me all done in under a month. If i see him in a pub or if i get in and see him round i'll buy him a pint any day.

Hi Karl,
Yeah go ahead and join but, don't expect anything from the country that you would be serving. When I joined in '65 you couldn't even get credit for a couple of tyres when you told them you were Army.
When you get out, nobody understands your mind-set, you expect the best from the people around you in the Armed Forces and all you find in Civvy Street is mendacity - they don't care that you have put YOUR life on the line for them for 22 years. So why go through all that agro? Read the above, but don't be fooled into thinking the average civvy will appreciate your sacrifice, and you do sacrifice your life and family to the vagrancies of the service.
I lost my Son by being in Ireland and other places for the first 5 years of his life, we rarely talk now.
So go ahead and join, you will enjoy it and you will be with the best people on this earth but, again, have no illusions that your service will be appreciated outside of the Services.
Whatever you decide, Good Luck

It really depends on wat ur wanting to be if u want to be a soldier i'd say wait and see if they pull out of the american oil wars in iraq and the cia 9/11 attack but blame it on afghanstan war,but if ur not joining infanty u can join anytime as it nothing big if ur able to walk and run a wee bit

Predator clear off you O2 thief and climb back under your rock.

Predator_07 said:
It really depends on wat ur wanting to be if u want to be a soldier i'd say wait and see if they pull out of the american oil wars in iraq and the cia 9/11 attack but blame it on afghanstan war,but if ur not joining infanty u can join anytime as it nothing big if ur able to walk and run a wee bit
your one of the biggest idiots iv heard in a while. regardless of trade, an army trains for combat. if you want to wait to try and avoid going to a combat zone, you might as well kick the idea of the army and join your local paintball team.

if you want to be a solider, join regardless. you wont be able to pick and choose where you fight. since WW2 the army has had commitments all round the world. in some form or another there has almost always been a conflict we are involved in. dont join the army expecting that we wont fight again after iraq/afganistan.

secondly, just because somebody doesnt join the infantry doesnt mean they are unfit or in anyway less of a soldier then an infantry soldier. my recruiter is RLC, and in his words, he can still run a 1.5 in 7:30. i bet many infantry soldiers who are far younger then a SSGT, cant run a pft in that time.

and thirdly, to quote al murray
'its quite important that we have a war every few years, so we can stay match fit incase the germans ever try again'

Good reply, Al Murray quote - Cherry on the cake!

Predator_07 said:
S**t lads get your foil hates out.

Oh and by the way spell the following like this What, Your, Infantry. Oh and remember names of country's have a capital letter at the start of there name. e.g Iraq. If you need anymore lessons on not spelling like a complete Mong go to school! Or just stop breathing i would go with the latter if i was you.

if a could care about spelling,oh wait am getting bullets fired at me and a cant spell oh NO! A guess ur big bens dong then cause ur one hell of a bell end

ad wat a said about oil wars etc,its all true

a mean name one reason why soliders are even in iraq,etc

Predator_07 said:
if a could care about spelling,oh wait am getting bullets fired at me and a cant spell oh NO! A guess ur big bens dong then cause ur one hell of a bell end

a mean name one reason why soliders are even in iraq,etc
So little fuckers like you can sleep in bed, never doing an honest days work and lie around the house with the heating on using fuel that a lot of blokes have fought for. You, matey, are a complete cunt and give the youth of this country a bad name. Does that answer your question. And please learn to use the Queen's English properly, not like some street gangsta from the Bronx.

I am only in the TA and have been in for just over a month now. I can honestly say I have met better people and made more friends in this short amount of time than i ever will of if i didnt join.

Whilst on my first two training weekends i was amazed at the support and encouragement the other recruits were giving to each other.
I am now in relationship with one of the girls from my TAC.

I have to admit it is a lot stricter than civi street but, In a way i find that better as I know that can only make me better.

My mother wasnt happy about me joining and told me i wouldn't like it and all that palaver, So i basically told her to mind her own business as i am old enough to make my own mistakes. November 11th she cam down to watch me in the remembrance parade and after she told me she proud of me and was full behind my decision.

I know I am only in the TA and the Regular army is a lot tougher as you are away from home a hell of a lot more of a commitment but if its what you want to do go for it don't let anyone hold you back.

I have had one or two mates laugh at me when i have turned up in uniform and they found out i had joined, but like i said to them. In 10 - 15 years time i will have something i can look back on and be proud of, I will have experiences they could only dream of and be able to hold my head up high knowing i had given something back to my country instead of sitting at home wishing i had done something.

I know things won't be great all the time but you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Go for it mate.

Predator_07 said:

a mean name one reason why soliders are even in iraq
because they were told to. seen how its an army, not a WI knitting circle, the guys at the top say 'invade this' and the army does it. they are a professional force, so dont sit around going 'aaaaahhh...but i dont want to go to iraq, teletubbies just started......'

if you want the whys and whos answered, speak to your mp or something.
i suggest you go to iraq and see the situation on the ground before you comment. im sure there are many children who are incredibly happy because of our intervention, as it allows them a chance at a future where they wont get tortured for almost no reason. the media harps on about 'oil wars' and such, but its just because bad news sells papers, and they ignore all the good work the lads and lasses out there are doing.

and just to finish, its 'I can't spell' not 'a cant spell' and 'i mean' not 'a mean' etc

[quote="Scouse06uk.
I am now in relationship with one of the girls from my TAC.

quote]

oh ah u moved rather quickly then dude didnt you :D

well i sent my application off like two and a half weeks ago now, (an online one if that makes a difference) and no reply at all..

is this is bad?

or does it usually take this long? :(

I can't remember how long it takes for them to get back to you regarding your application. I think it's a few weeks, but I did mine through the AFCO. I've only just passed ADSC and I can't wait to go!! Good luck with everythong, hope you keep everyone posted on how it's all going :)

Your best off going straight into the AFCO/ACIO and going for a reception and getting your application pack off the Recruiter then book your BARB test. Tell them that you applied online, you still have to go through the recruiting office to do everything though as the online office just pass the details (lead sheet)onto them anyway.

Latest Threads