Thinking of a pickup

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
There's a plethora of them around here, normally each taking up two parking spaces at the local Tesco and even then, usually parked at an angle.

Before reading this thread, I'd assumed that unless you're a tree surgeon or builder, they were a penis extension, particularly some of the F150 types which require a stepladder to get into one.

However, I can now see that there are actual decent reasons for owning one. Damn all of your logic and reasonableness.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We have most of the modern crop of pickups at work including:

Ford Rangers
Toyota Hiluxes
Isuzu D Maxes

A mate runs a Nissan Navara which I’ve also used a fair bit and we have a couple of older Hiluxes on the farm (2012 ish).

The new Hilux is head and shoulders above the rest in every way. Rangers are lovely and look awesome but we’ve suffered quite a few electrical niggles on ours (although this could be because they’re heavily modified with light bars, radios, leisure batteries for charging stuff etc.)

D Maxes are shite. Very cheap and cheerful compared to the rest and we’ve suffered a few low mileage clutch failures.

I really like the Navara and that would certainly be a worthy choice if a Ranger or Hilux is out of budget.

L200 is smaller than the others. Probably easier to live with in terms of parking and driving around town, otherwise I have no experience of the current L200. The older ones were not very good in comparison to their peers. The Fiat Fullback is the same car with different badges. Also worth a look. I’m not sure how they compare in price.

So my choices in order would be:

Hilux
Ranger
Navara
L200 if you want something a bit smaller

And to throw in a wild card…..

Unless you really need a 4x4 I’d maybe consider a decent van with a second row of seats instead. VW T5 or T6, Merc Sprinter etc.

We have most of the modern crop of pickups at work including:

Ford Rangers
Toyota Hiluxes
Isuzu D Maxes

A mate runs a Nissan Navara which I’ve also used a fair bit and we have a couple of older Hiluxes on the farm (2012 ish).

The new Hilux is head and shoulders above the rest in every way. Rangers are lovely and look awesome but we’ve suffered quite a few electrical niggles on ours (although this could be because they’re heavily modified with light bars, radios, leisure batteries for charging stuff etc.)

D Maxes are shite. Very cheap and cheerful compared to the rest and we’ve suffered a few low mileage clutch failures.

I really like the Navara and that would certainly be a worthy choice if a Ranger or Hilux is out of budget.

L200 is smaller than the others. Probably easier to live with in terms of parking and driving around town, otherwise I have no experience of the current L200. The older ones were not very good in comparison to their peers. The Fiat Fullback is the same car with different badges. Also worth a look. I’m not sure how they compare in price.

So my choices in order would be:

Hilux
Ranger
Navara
L200 if you want something a bit smaller

And to throw in a wild card…..

Unless you really need a 4x4 I’d maybe consider a decent van with a second row of seats instead. VW T5 or T6, Merc Sprinter etc.
I understand that decent VW vans at anything approaching a sensible price are rarities.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I understand that decent VW vans at anything approaching a sensible price are rarities.
There a few T5 Kombis on Autotrader within budget but you’re right, they’re higher mileage ones.

There’s a blinged up T6 on there for 62 grand!

Seems like every ****** wants to stick a bed in the back and go adventuring. My brother in law has a T6 camper that he uses as his daily driver, carting a kitchen sink around everywhere he goes etc.

cymraeg

War Hero
Guys thanks for all the replies and certainly some food for thought. Prefer a 4x4 due to amount of green laning and shooting I do plus I like the driving position and road presence. Thought about a van but it would get wrecked in a matter of weeks due to the roads around here being like the surface of the moon and I've had enough of changing ball joints.

Yes I'm in the UK so European Market. Would love a f150 but prices are fooking stoopid offer here

Once again many thanks all

ugly

LE
I'm currently looking, and the Isuzu DMax is leading the pack at the moment.
Prices are high just now because of a shortage of new cars.
If I had to replace my battered Isuzu it would be with another Isuzu

cymraeg

War Hero
If I had to replace my battered Isuzu it would be with another Isuzu
Hi mate. I have to be honest but I'm not enamoured with the brand anymore esp since the abortion of the 4jx1 engine. My trooper is all sorted now and runs great etc but it's very agricultural and trying to get her to sit happily at 70 is like re entry in the shuttle.

Great work horse now but for those long camping trips it get boring quickly having to shout at each other etc

ugly

LE
Hi mate. I have to be honest but I'm not enamoured with the brand anymore esp since the abortion of the 4jx1 engine. My trooper is all sorted now and runs great etc but it's very agricultural and trying to get her to sit happily at 70 is like re entry in the shuttle.

Great work horse now but for those long camping trips it get boring quickly having to shout at each other etc
The later post trooper engines seem ok, mine is a 57 plate and apart from no cruise control is ok on long road trips even with off road tyres

cymraeg

War Hero
The later post trooper engines seem ok, mine is a 57 plate and apart from no cruise control is ok on long road trips even with off road tyres
Chucked a 4jg2 in mine along with a single mass flywheel conversion due to the old dmf on the way out. Nice and strong now but like a 40s massey. Might keep her purely as a greenlaning truck since the conversion and totally rebuilt the axles but bored of crawling round under trucks now hence thinking of something newer and a bit more comfortable

It seems that all of them have their fans and detractors. I'd love a Hilux Invincible, but it's just beyond budget.

It seems that all of them have their fans and detractors. I'd love a Hilux Invincible, but it's just beyond budget.
I've got a Hilux Invincible automatic, 17 plate. Lovely to ride about in, horrific on fuel. Absolutely gutless at towing, it is meant to be able to pull 3.5t, it struggles with half that. Get the newest old shape Navara you can afford.

I likes our old L200 until wrecked, light and drivable in town. Its current replacement Isuzu D-max bigger heavier but more room for shooting/farming gear. Both light on the back in slippery conditions although the Traction control tames it a bit on the D-max.
I can only dream of a Hi lux... probably next choice when Isuzu go's

You are Patrick o’ Pikey and I claim my bunch of lucky heather.!
How fcuking dare you, I started the pikey thread, I don’t own a caravan, my family has a very diverse gene pool, I hate horses and heather and I have never been homeless.

You are dead to me.

Who the fcuk are you anyway.

They have these souped up to fcuk now like the Ford ‘ranger’ Raptor and Toyota ‘Hilux’ Rugged X or Mazda ‘BT50’ Rugged.

Look awesome (depending on your taste), cost a fortune, the boring cost conscious in me says not worth it, but I would.

THINKING OF A PICK UP.

I read the thread title, expecting all the salacious details of kerb crawling, ladies of the night, dimly lit back streets, hookers and slags posing against lamp posts in the early hours, female plod on undercover stake outs,well known local personality's making the headlines, for all the wrong reasons, and young naive lads getting rolled by hard faced tarts,................................ and find out that its all about bloody trucks, FFS!o_O

There a few T5 Kombis on Autotrader within budget but you’re right, they’re higher mileage ones.

There’s a blinged up T6 on there for 62 grand!

Seems like every ****** wants to stick a bed in the back and go adventuring. My brother in law has a T6 camper that he uses as his daily driver, carting a kitchen sink around everywhere he goes etc.

For 62 grand I’d supply a new F150, and personally deliver it with the bed filled with yellow handbags, take a two week holiday in the South of France, fly home business class……….and still have money left for a chauffer driven car home from the airport.

Last edited:
He said a couple, probably meant a good few. Gotta remember we don’t get the white stuff down here in the same quantities that you do.

I had an F250 on loan for a while last year, hated it. Every bloody time the bed was empty and I turned left, or right out of a junction it fishtailed Like it was on ball bearings.
I still have a 94 GMC Sierra SLE 5L, 2wd, extended box. It's the best truck l have ever owned when it comes to maintenance and parts availability, it will most likely be the last vehicle l own.

Latest Threads